Join Early Retirement Today

Re-lensing glasses
Old 01-13-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Re-lensing glasses

Anyone here use an online company to put new lenses in old frames and paid a reasonable cost? I have a big difference between each eye, so I was hoping to find a decently price on higher quality lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
Administrator

I'm pretty sure Zenni Optical will use your frames, though it's a long turnaround. 39dollarglasses might as well. For sure the brick and mortar optical stores will gouge you on this.

Edit: zenni doesn't but 39dollar does, link here http://www.39dollarglasses.com/help/...own-frame.html
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did research on this, for brick and mortar at least, and almost everyone said Costco. I then had a good experience with them. But it was about $90 for a pretty easy near-sighted prescription (no bi-focal, etc., just near-sighted lenses)
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You might want to check out Replace A Lens. Eyeglass Lens - Replace Prescription Lenses - ReplaceALens
I have used them a couple of times for glasses prescriptions. I wear contacts most of the time, but always have glasses for when I need them. Their service is good and they are helpful in answering questions.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #5

Certainly cheaper to buy lenses than an entirely new pair of glasses. The markup on quality frames (both online and brick-and-mortar) is ridiculous. Based on the responses here, seems like the going rate for decent lenses is around $90 if you have your own frames. Not bad if you assume a quality frame is also around $100 (probably more if you want titanium or some kid-resistant material).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you can re-lens glasses, though they might charge a bit extra. So make certain it is a good quality frame and not one of the cheaper ones you can get for 'free' from the online lens company.

I recently purchased a pair of prescription reading glasses from an online company for less than the cost of ordinary reading glasses bought at my local drugstore. This Rx glasses included a fix for my astigmatism. Very nice!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
You might want to check out Replace A Lens. Eyeglass Lens - Replace Prescription Lenses - ReplaceALens
I have used them a couple of times for glasses prescriptions. I wear contacts most of the time, but always have glasses for when I need them. Their service is good and they are helpful in answering questions.
I like this site. I went through their lens selection process and it gave me the cost of each item and a running total. I have an item-by-item cost that I can compare to Costco. They are also located in Denver so I have the option of stopping by when I am in Denver. I have two identical titanium frames so I can send in the oldest and get new lenses.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #8

Not quite the same as the OP question, but I had an old pair of regular glasses re-lens to be prescription sunglasses. I did it through the place I got the new regular glasses, but it was still pretty reasonable.

I tried the transistions type that change, I hated them. So having a dedicated pair of sunglasses is a good option for me, when I wear them.........

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

Costco charges $18 to use your old frames.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
That's cheap!
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
That's cheap!
I've had new lenses put in old frames and I don't recall there ever being a charge for using my old frames.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
Anyone here use an online company to put new lenses in old frames and paid a reasonable cost? I have a big difference between each eye, so I was hoping to find a decently price on higher quality lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I reused a pair of frames for my new glasses prescription at Costco. They did a good job. I think there was a charge of $18 on top of the charge for the new lenses.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I've had new lenses put in old frames and I don't recall there ever being a charge for using my old frames.
Ah, sorry. I misunderstood that there was a service charge of $18, thinking that was the baseline cost of new lenses ().
Old 01-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Not to try and defend the charge, but maybe that is extra to cover removal of your old lenses?

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Not to try and defend the charge, but maybe that is extra to cover removal of your old lenses?
And clean up the frames or whatever. That $9 per lens didn't bother me.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Last month, DW went into Walmart and had them install new lenses in an old frame. The cost was (Bifocal) - 2-SV Plastic Lenses $14.50 each and a "Lens Processing Fee" of $10.00 for a total of $39.00.

Interestingly, this was less than the Co-pay required by our Medicare Advantage plan so we paid "full price."

EDIT: It took less than a week for them to deliver the "new" glasses.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I called Costco to try to compare prices. It's hard to nail down just what you are getting over the phone, but I think the total price is maybe a little less than the price on a comparable on-line lens at replace-a-lens. It would be nice if Costco also had their prices on-line.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #18

For completely new glasses does Costco also fit the frames if you go into the store? The cost difference for Costco glasses might make the membership fee worthwhile for us.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
For completely new glasses does Costco also fit the frames if you go into the store? The cost difference for Costco glasses might make the membership fee worthwhile for us.
I have never gotten glasses there, but it looks like a full service optical center to me. You can probably find out on line or you can go to Costco and tell them you want to check out the store.

I buy tires there and the service has always been very good at a good price.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is this done 'while you wait', or do they send them out? Turnaround time in that case?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote