Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My mom and stepdad bought a second home down in Florida. Someplace called Biscayne Heights or Grand Island or something like that. I've never been to it. They bought in 2002, and today I think it might be worth almost what they paid for it. They originally planned to retire down there, but Mom has been retired 3 1/2 years now, and my stepdad about 3, and it hasn't happened yet.

My Mom said that if they moved down there, and my stepdad ended up passing away, she'd be back up here in a heartbeat. I have no desire to do down there to see the house, vacation with them, etc.

I have a friend whose parents have a trailer in Port Orange, near Daytona Beach. We went down there for a week back in 2005. Now that was a good time. Florida is just like any other state, I imagine. Desirable places, and not-so-desirable places.

Plenty of places I'd love to visit in Florida, but dunno if I'd want to live there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I would like to see an article about how much snowbirds contribute to the local economy compared to residents.
Off the cuff, here are a couple of things: Snowbirds (those whose principal residence is in another state) do not have Homestead ability on their home, so their property taxes go up higher than a resident's property tax, and more snowbirds are spending their $$ on restaurants while they are here (the locals eat out similar to whatever the US average is).

Rich

Old 06-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I moved to Florida in 2002 (age 40). I have family here so I knew what to expect; one of those things were dismal job prospects if I lost my job. I moved here with my eyes wide open.

If I had to list the tops reasons to not move to Florida it would be mosquitos and palmetto bugs ! And insects didn't even make it to that top 10 list.

Other than the aforementioned bugs, I love living here.

Ah the wonderful palmetto bugs (or as non-floridians call them "giant cockroaches"). When I lived in Destin we had tons of them. You could actually hear them walking across the tile floor.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
An early memory of Florida was 1966 or so. Stayed with parents in a beach house in Panama City.
Mother was sweeping the floor, went to get a dustpan, and half the pile crawled away.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I moved to Florida in 2002 (age 40). I have family here so I knew what to expect; one of those things were dismal job prospects if I lost my job. I moved here with my eyes wide open.

If I had to list the tops reasons to not move to Florida it would be mosquitos and palmetto bugs ! And insects didn't even make it to that top 10 list.

Other than the aforementioned bugs, I love living here.
I thought the same thing about the insects.
man, those love bugs. I am still getting them off my truck from our spring trip.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love no-see-ums and fire ants. A great mixture of things that desire to bite me.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
An early memory of Florida was 1966 or so. Stayed with parents in a beach house in Panama City.
Mother was sweeping the floor, went to get a dustpan, and half the pile crawled away.
Maybe I just haven't been in the right place(or maybe I was) but I haven't seen any big bugs when i've been in Florida. I've spent months in Leesburg and Fort Myers and some time in Sarasota, Daytona Beach, and Miami Beach and never saw any bugs. I've only been there from Dec-Mar, maybe the bugs only come out in warmer months?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love bugs are out for a few weeks in May and October. We are just south of Leesburg.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #29

I can think of 10 reasons to not live in most places. And 10 reason why living in those places is a great idea.

Anyone who's spent some time there knows that there's "two Floridas". There's the two mile wide edge that runs around the entire coast, plus Orlando, then there's everything else.

IMHO A lot of the interior sections can be edgy, poor and dangerous while the coastal areas have a good degree of wealth and relatively great livability.

Maybe it was me, but the end of the article seemed to imply that if folks only voted for the correct political philosophy things would improve.

Maybe if I were raising a family, I'd worry about schools and other items but, great winter weather, low taxes and early bird specials work for me!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #30
Administrator

Thanks for the article. I don't want to move to Florida, because Frank doesn't want to move there. But, sometimes I look at real estate listings there and wonder what it might be like to live there in retirement.

This article is one of the few that explains the downside to living there. So many articles provide a positive viewpoint of Florida so it is refreshing to see what the author thinks are reasons not to move there. Actually, most of his ten reasons apply to Louisiana, too.

As for bugs, sure, they exist, but I barely notice them in Louisiana and haven't in Florida or anywhere here on the mainland. After dealing with cane spiders and the other bugs that come with a truly tropical climate (in Hawaii), nothing subtropical can phase me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote