Re: The Florida Move Decision

I love no-see-ums and fire ants. A great mixture of things that desire to bite me.

An early memory of Florida was 1966 or so. Stayed with parents in a beach house in Panama City.
Mother was sweeping the floor, went to get a dustpan, and half the pile crawled away.

Maybe I just haven't been in the right place(or maybe I was) but I haven't seen any big bugs when i've been in Florida. I've spent months in Leesburg and Fort Myers and some time in Sarasota, Daytona Beach, and Miami Beach and never saw any bugs. I've only been there from Dec-Mar, maybe the bugs only come out in warmer months?

Love bugs are out for a few weeks in May and October. We are just south of Leesburg.

I can think of 10 reasons to not live in most places. And 10 reason why living in those places is a great idea.

Anyone who's spent some time there knows that there's "two Floridas". There's the two mile wide edge that runs around the entire coast, plus Orlando, then there's everything else.

IMHO A lot of the interior sections can be edgy, poor and dangerous while the coastal areas have a good degree of wealth and relatively great livability.

Maybe it was me, but the end of the article seemed to imply that if folks only voted for the correct political philosophy things would improve.

Maybe if I were raising a family, I'd worry about schools and other items but, great winter weather, low taxes and early bird specials work for me!

Thanks for the article. I don't want to move to Florida, because Frank doesn't want to move there. But, sometimes I look at real estate listings there and wonder what it might be like to live there in retirement.

This article is one of the few that explains the downside to living there. So many articles provide a positive viewpoint of Florida so it is refreshing to see what the author thinks are reasons not to move there. Actually, most of his ten reasons apply to Louisiana, too. :LOL:

As for bugs, sure, they exist, but I barely notice them in Louisiana and haven't in Florida or anywhere here on the mainland. After dealing with cane spiders and the other bugs that come with a truly tropical climate (in Hawaii), nothing subtropical can phase me. :D

Back
Top Bottom