Join Early Retirement Today

Readability
Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Readability

Do you use Readability?

Though I've referenced the free program a number of times, I don't recall anyone ever saying they use it. I figure that either everyone uses it, and it's so common that it doesn't require a comment, or that they've never tried it.
With so many websites opening up with ads and pictures at the top of the page, often the article you are trying to read goes into a narrow column with many chances for inadvertent clicks. Add to that, the likelyhood that the letter size may be small (especially for old eyes), and that the article may run into 2,3,4 or more pages... and reading articles becomes a chore.

So enter readability... click to open and click again to save or "read now",
and you have a clear page, with no ads... your choice of letter styles, column width, letter size... and a color background that you choose... and you have easy reading. (Hint) click the webpage "print" link first, to avoid multi pages...
Just a one time set up for those choices.

Other opinions welcome...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep. Very useful.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

I use a Mac, and there are several ways to zoom the screen.

Usually I use either of these:

The Command-[plus symbol] keystroke zooms the text I'm reading. Repeating this keystroke continues to zoom in. Command-[minus symbol] unzooms back out.

Holding down the Control key while scrolling also zooms in and out, just the portion of the screen where your pointer is.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I added a plug in a year ago or so and then found I never used it.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It sounded good to me, I tried it out a year or so ago and was impressed (I think T-Al was talking it up). Put it on my toolbar for easy access.

Found I hardly ever used it. I removed it at some point. May put it back and try again, but I guess it didn't thrill me much.

I use CNTRL-mouse-wheel to zoom in/out. I find that useful and I don't even think about it anymore. I know 'readability' does much more than just enlarge text though.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I use a Mac, and there are several ways to zoom the screen.

Usually I use either of these:

The Command-[plus symbol] keystroke zooms the text I'm reading. Repeating this keystroke continues to zoom in. Command-[minus symbol] unzooms back out.

Holding down the Control key while scrolling also zooms in and out, just the portion of the screen where your pointer is.
I do the same as Braumeister on my Mac. I have never tried the program.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

I tried it, but didn't use it much.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #8

Poor web site design, IMO. It sounds like the most significant thing the program does is clean up cluttered web pages. I looked there hoping to see sample before/after screen shots of clean up, but found none.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

After reading the thread on Computer glasses, I can't help but bump this thread. For me, Readability eliminates the need for corrective glasses, since you can adjust the size of what you are reading.

Though I appreciate the comments (above)... I have to disagree with the negative posts...
First... it's easy to install and easy to remove.
It eliminates ads.
As an example of the versatility when you go to a page of posts on ER Readability selects and shows the posts only, so you can auto scroll a full page.
You can set the letter style.
You can select the background color,
You can select the size.
You can select the column width
Any links included in the page stay "live" for instant access.
Once you set these parameters, they will come up on any kind of page you are reading.
I have been using Readability for four years, and click the icon on my browser for almost everything that I read.

Readability screen shots from the TV Glasses thread... small to large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Readability small.jpg (100.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Readability large.jpg (195.8 KB, 4 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote