Join Early Retirement Today

Reading the Contract
Old 09-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Reading the Contract

This is my curmudgeon day... They're resurfacing the roads at Woodhaven, so I had to come home. ... on the nicest weekend of the year.

Time to take care of business. I touched on this subject a few times in the past... Binding Arbitration, and extensive contracts that no one ever reads. This time, it's two of the biggest providers that have raised my hackles.

I finally got into reading some of my internet providers' contract. First of all... as to the speed (mbps). All speeds show an "up to" number... like 25, or 75, or 100 or more. No statement of what level of service you can expect to get, even though you pay for more. Two years ago, when my service slowed to a crawl, I complained... the service man came out @ $60 cost, and with a straight face, (after checking the speed), had me read the contract part that noted the "up to" clause. Incidentally, no other provider except for 3 mbps (copper) in the area.

Second part of this, is the price... despite all of the contract "musts", and "can'ts" that the customer is required to follow... there are also several clauses and reminders that the company can raise their prices at any time. (Which of course they have).

Binding arbitration too... but we've already discussed that "fairness doctrine".

BTW... I downloaded more of the contract "subcontracts" and other warnings and requirements, and put them into "Word Count"... and the read time went up to 2 hours and 14 minutes, and was categorized as "legal/technical".

I won't discuss the 2 star customer service.
.................................................. .................................................. ...
If you're bored, skip the next part... It has to do with the satellite provider. Last year I decided to cut the cord and go to just internet.
Called to cancel and found out that somehow, I had been in a two year contract... and it was going to cost. So I kept the service, as long as I was going to pay for it anyway. Now, looking up the details of the contract, if I renewed, it would be for another two years, and the cost to cancel would be $480. Written right into the contract... Page 38 or something like that. Anyway, as the contract died, the monthly cost went up by $26/mo. plus tax.
Also... those few select words that say the service is not required to continue with the TV channels originally shown... AND that despite the contract price that one signs on for, prices may be increased at any time. DUH!

Add to this the binding arbitration clause, and the "not responsible for outages" clause... and you have...

Oh well... I only have a few more years to worry about this small stuff, but thought that you might enjoy learning just how monopolies work in the U.S..

Cheers...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't usually read the contracts, which is a bad habit. I know I have no choice but to sign the contracts, in most cases.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I had DSL at a snail pace the minimum was half the 'up to' speed...

Now have Comcast and pay for up to 25... but I am getting around 65... when I signed up for a one year contract I had 25 and it slowly increased to a higher speed and when contract time ended the price increase was huge as they started to charge the actual speed I was getting...

Went back down to 25 and it looks like it is happening again... I do not mind the higher speed, but in reality I do not use it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you dislike something in a contract, propose in writing a modification that the other side accepts by continuing to provide service.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
If you dislike something in a contract, propose in writing a modification that the other side accepts by continuing to provide service.
With all due respect - good luck. To me these battles are not worth the effort.