Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #21
Artificial. Just went through the multi-day tree and decoration installation without much of a hitch, but it does seem like its becoming too much work

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Artificial about 4 ft tall, the nicest, most natural looking one we could find. Stays decorated and lives in the basement covered by a sheet between New Years and Thanksgiving. I bring it up, plug it in, and DW straightens the ornaments and garlands and puts the angel on top. Takes about 5 minutes - instant Christmas. The ornaments all have special meaning to us, we don't have any 'generic' ornaments.

We used to many years ago but we can't bring ourselves to cut down a tree just to decorate for 3-4 weeks, though I love the smell too. We had a big artificial tree for about 10 years, but it was a PITA and we gave it away about 5 years ago.

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
We had real until DD last Xmas at home (2008). Now we leave the day after Xmas to go to visit her in VA - so we don't bother putting anything up anymore. DS isn't a big fan of Xmas, so he is just as happy to not have one up.

We do have a small one outside that we put lights on every year, though.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No Christmas tree, no decorations, no nothing. We're really lazy about holiday traditions.
Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I keep an artificial one fully decorated. Goes up in about one minute. If I'm having a big event, like last year, I'll get a real one. It was like 10' tall last year!
43 and FIREd.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
We've used both over the years, with the last few years being artificial. This year, for the first time ever, wife & I decided to forego the tree. We have some other nice decorations in the living room & hallway, a few non-roof type lights on the outside, and that's gonna be it. We're celebrating Christmas, just minus the tree. Works for us.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
For those who miss the smell of a fresh cut pine tree: - Room Fragrance Spray "Smell of the Tree" - Scented Candles
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
Like a couple other posters we used to get a live tree, with rootball. Had to get them fairly small as the rootball is very heavy. After Christmas we'd plant them in a pre dug hole. Had a nice row of them along one property line. We eventually sold that place to move 30 miles further out. We drove by the old place, a couple years later, new owners cut them all down.

MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...
I used to do artificial but the past few years haven't. So, as for the tree..probably nada this year.

I'll probably give a couple of Christmas CDs a spin, and call this year a done deal
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Artificial for about 20 years here. My daughter would get sick every Christmas from allergies. Once we got the artificial one she never got sick at Christmas.

Edit: I thought I would hate the artificial tree but honestly, I like the convenience. looks close enough like a real one once decorated...or perhaps I have simply gotten used to it. It even drops it's needles now LOL!
It may be time for a new one.
Allergies here as well. Artificial for the past 20 years or so.

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
No tree for me as it's just to much of a hassle.
I do enjoy my lighted holiday village though. Bought it at Costco a few years ago.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #32
DH was raised a Christian and I was not so when we had little kids I was all for having a real Christmas tree. We'd go to the lot and pick out one of the smallest trees and when we got it in the house it still was huge! We did the ornaments and lights and garland which all the cats loved. It would be an issue to keep it watered and keep the sap off the carpeting and keep the cats and babies away from it. Fun for a few years.

Later we progressed to an artificial tree. It was easy to set up and take down and sturdy when a cat would crawl inside and hide. It ended up in the dining room and by omitting about 1/3rd of the branches in the back we could push it up against the wall so it didn't take up so much space.

We don't even celebrate Christmas (religion free family) so this was just for fun and for seeing all the ornaments again. For a couple of years we didn't bother with it and finally DH took it to his office for his staff. When he retired he left it with them.

A few years ago we had a furnace guy here the day after Christmas. After working on the furnace he came upstairs to use the thermostat and he commented, "Wow, you folks already took your tree down?"

No, we didn't have a tree, but I don't need to explain all this to the furnace guy.

The new artificial trees I've seen are amazing! Now they even have ones pre-lit with LEDs and they snap together easily. Saw them on QVC. Maybe if we ever have grandkids we'd do another tree.
Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #33
We have an artificial tree (I have allergies). We bought a new one last year (bought at Target) that already has lights on it. We like it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.
As a kid growing up in the 70's, I don't recall my parents ever getting a real tree. We had one of those aluminum trees with the color wheel, and a cotton skirt at the base of the tree that had glued-on little colored stars on it that always used to come off and get stuck in the carpeting.

When I lived in Colorado, one time I decided I really wanted a real tree, so went out and got one. I loved the real-ness of it, the pine smell, etc.

After the holidays were over, I tossed it outside and was going to chip it up for mulch in the springtime. I had always wondered how true the stories were about trees being so flammable, so after it had been outside a couple days with no water, I stripped off a small branch and lit it (outside of course).

I couldn't BELIEVE how quickly that branch caught on fire! After that, I didn't even want that tree anywhere outdoors, so I hauled it to the street to be collected.

Haven't set up a tree (real or artificial) since then, mostly because I've lived in rented apartments or houses since then, and I tend not to decorate any place that I rent because it just doesn't seem like "home".

If/when I get back to Colorado and have my own home again, I'm sure I'll probably get another real tree. But only if I'm not traveling during the holidays. There's no way I'd leave a live tree in the house while I'm gone.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Have never put up a Christmas tree.
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.
If I were a tree, I think I would go with Jeffrey Pine.
How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
My family always had a real tree, so DW and I had one for 25 years. When kids where pre-teen, tried to set the tradition of going to the Christmas tree farm--1st year we went it was 4 degrees and had rained a bunch before that--total mud pit--and that tradition died quickly. For the next 15+ years, it was me and a small bottle of schnapps going to get the tree. 3 daughters all married, moved away, and live in the towns where their in-laws are, so we're always the "after-Christmas" folks. Had a nice potted cactus that was skinny and 6-7 feet tall, and decorated it for a few years and received a lot of nice comments on it. With no one here for Christmas and really no extra room, it wasn't worth it. I have 4 ceramic-lighted Christmas trees that are 2 feet tall, so I set them out and call it a day.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #38
Up until this year, I spent Christmas and New Years in FL in a property that I owned (now sold).
My son is coming home for Christmas, and I feel the need to make the place a little festive. I put small lights on the giant live palm tree in my great room. I also bought some of those lighted branches for large cache pots on my dining room sideboard. On my dining room table I have the vintage nativity that belonged to my parents, as well as some artificial table-top pre-lighted trees. I have bought live poinsiettas for some large pottery jardinieres that also belonged to my Mom and Dad and placed them around the house. I trekked out and bought two large fresh evergreen wreaths with big red bows for the front gates opening on to the patio area leading up to my front door (one of the reasons I bought my house was the New Orleans-like courtyard feature). I think they are statement pieces and quite dramatic. If it were not for my son, I would not do half of what I have done. I will leave it to my son to set up the small HO train set that belonged to his father in childhood (if he wants to).
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets
Always did the family outing to the tree farm until a few years ago. Now we just have an artificial one, easy up, easy down, no mess. Once you get it decorated it looks nice. Also stopped doing the outside lights all around the house too. To much work getting up on the roof and hanging them from the gutters. And there was always one string that had half the lights that wouldn't work :-( Now just do around the entry and the lamppost by the driveway.
SteveNU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...
I mustered up the energy to get the tree out of the box and plugged it in. Needed a cold one after the ordeal though.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote