Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes it really is something. Always try to bring some extra boughs in as well and place them around. Can't get enough of it. If ever do go artificial will have to try to find some way to get the scent in. Haven't found a candle that reproduces it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here is a video of Christmas tree harvesting from the pilot's perspective. Awesome flying skills, though I question the risk for what is a decorative item.

Decorative or not...it's for the money. He got some skills for sure.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #83

Two artificial trees for us. A big one in the front window with color coordinated decorations. However the family favorite is the old one in the family room we purchased in 1979 for $28. Lots of memories, homemade ornaments, milestones etc.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here is a video of Christmas tree harvesting from the pilot's perspective. Awesome flying skills, though I question the risk for what is a decorative item.

How neat. That pilot is one with his machine and his payload. Notice how he uses the momentum to sling the tree where he wants it to go. Truly talanted, thanks for sharing.
MRG
Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstack View Post
Will you have a real, artificial or no Christmas tree this year?

I tried to go with an artificial tree last year but the wife did not like the idea It now lives in the basement. Time to go shopping for a real tree.
artificial - Last 5 yrs there was no tree at all as we did our annual cruise. Now that we are both retired we will cruise in Jan. at 1/2 the price.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
However the family favorite is the old one in the family room we purchased in 1979 for $28. Lots of memories, homemade ornaments, milestones etc.
My tree also contains lots of memories . It is loaded with ornaments collected from our travels and other milestones .The angel that goes on top is a slightly odd doll that has been with me for years during several life changes .
Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Since moving away from home during college we have always used an artificial tree. For many years when our munchkin was little, we had two. This year after a 27 year run, we are going the way of the Kranks and not having a tree. Some holiday decorations, but no tree.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

No tree whatsoever but some decorations, including a very long strand of lites that hang year-long in the family room, but turned on only occasionally.

A few years ago I took my digital camera out to these Christmas stores, nurseries and such, and took tons of photos of various Xmas-related stuff. I saved them on my PC and every year since I put them on a thumb drive that I attach via USB to my 50" HDTV and put it on 'slideshow.' Works great!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #89

First year we are foregoing a tree (always real). Even though we've traveled before we still put one up. This year we had some unexpected travel and when it was already December 5 and we leave again on 19th, we just decided to forget it. DW put some decorative items up, but really no the same. Miss the lights. Did put some strings up outside for the hood.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #90

Plastic with LEDs
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #91

We went small last year, only the trek ornaments...
Old 01-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #92

http://youtu.be/SAHfs_Pb9HM

I hope that worked (this app acts up on me). Someone sent me this today and it makes the snowing easier to take.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Most years I go up into the crawl space attic and pull down ornaments, lights, and a 4 foot artificial pre-lit tree. This year I was just not in the mood (my 13 yo dog died Dec 10), so I took the lazy route and used my instant tree.
I found this beauty along the side of the road for free and gave it a good home. I store it in my downstairs family room, just as is.
I did cut 2 pine branches and brought a small bucket of dirt for a hotel room tree when we went to Nashua NH to visit Mr. B's mom for Christmas. I used a single string of lights, cut some snowflakes out of white paper, and used curled ribbon and girls' elastic hair bands as ornaments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0105141648a.jpg (428.1 KB, 7 views)