Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Does "real" chili contain beans?
No: Self-respecting individuals don't eat beans in chili 11 21.15%
Yes 41 78.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Real Chili: Beans or No Beans
Old 12-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
Chilli without beans is a sloppy joe minus the bun.*

If that is what you think...you have never had REAL chilie.

My mother used to make this "stuff" she called chilie but is was more like tomato soup with ground beef....like Sloppy Joes. Yuck!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #42

MJ, that is pretty well Chili North of the Border, although I add some Sherry to the mix as well as Sweet Basil, Cayenne pepper, plus usual suspects.

In our little community we have a Chili Cook Off, last year Road Kill won, no one is sure what went into it , but there were less dead Racoons at the side of the highway.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Real Texas chili doesn't include either beans or tomatoes.

Beef -preferably chuck, onions, garlic, chiles, oregano, cumin, and possibly a dash of coriander and a bay leaf. Anything else is an adulterant.

People put pinapple on pizza, but that doesn't mean that pinapple is an ingrediant of pizza. It just means someone doesn't know how to make the dish.

Same with chili.

Ha
I have to agree with you! My FIL lived in Texas and he taught me how to make chili back in the 60's. He never put beans in his chili. It was always all meat! To this day, we still make it that way!

Momtwo
Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
One important ingredient of chili powder is cumin...
I got the cumin, and also one or two other spices which I don't recall off the top of my head. I basically followed Joy of Cooking's recipe for making your own chili powder. Maybe I need to dry the chiles for longer.

Tim
Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance
More importantly, has anybody else experimented much with making your own chili powder? I've tried several times now, using some ancho and pasilla chiles with a single habanero. After blending it to dust it always smells heavenly, but that great smell never really translates into the actual stew. What am I doing wrong?
Tim
Rural Norteņos (and this gringo) usually use the chiles whole. Soak in water overnight. Change water (at this point I switch to beef stock) and simmer for a couple hours with salt. Then put through a sieve. This paste is your chili base. The rest is however you like to do it. If you do this, you will want to buy your chiles in a Mecican grocery, because they are quite expensive in supermarkets. You want enough mild to medium chiles (New Mexico, Ancho, California) to make a base, since you may not want to use an inauthentic ingrediant like tomato sauce. Then a little habnero, some fresh roasted serranos and jalapeņos can give whatever flavor and hotness you want. A useful trick- if you get it hotter than you want, add a bit of extra ground cumin. Somehow it offsets the heat.

A shortcut is bags of ground mild chiles sold in many Mexican groceries. Not as good though, IMO.

Ha
Old 12-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Then a little habnero...
Vary darned little unless you particularly enjoy the sensation of a live charcoal briquette in your mouth.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:19 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Vary darned little unless you particularly enjoy the sensation of a live charcoal briquette in your mouth.

I am surprised a this sentiment Seņor REWahoo. My Thanksgiving relish featured habaneros. All the pleasure of thee M part of S&M, with no need to find a woman.

Ha
Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had large Thai salad that was so hot (phet mak mak) that besides my mouth feeling the "warm glow" of the crushed peppers, I felt something was on my chin even though I kept wiping "it" with a napkin. So when I got back to my room and looked in the mirrow, I saw temporary mild inflamation around my chin where the juices had dripped down from my mouth. I got to watch how I eat that stuff.

Wow, that's what I call a "spiiiicy meatball".

No complaints though.

MJ