Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you think is happening with housing
Housing is in a slump 96 88.07%
Housing is staying the same 8 7.34%
Housing is still going up 5 4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
WOW 9 years of over 13% annual appreciation.

4% Appreciation my *ss

Most of us live in the 'real world'....

I am IN Houston... and I bought my house in the last downturn 20 years ago... and my appreciation rate...

A whopping 3.1%.... I would LOVE to have the 4% "my ass" appreciation...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

You can't handle the truth
Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #62
gone traveling

You can't handle the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Honobob, calc link above shows that example as 12.15% but let's not quibble. I don't know exactly what you are smoking, pumping, or whatever.. but using an example of a person who got in at a good deal and came out at the top is not instructive or indicative of long term trends or reasonable valuations. It's speculation (not that Kougar was speculating). Ya know, maybe salaries in SF can support such prices indefinitely (but I doubt it). Maybe houses in Hawaii are always going to attract moneyed buyers (of that I have little doubt).

Maybe whoever bought from Kougar has $200k-$300k in household income to sustain a 1500sf house. For how long? What will be instructive is what Kougar's buyers eventually sell it for down the road. The rest of us live in the real world that follows certain laws of gravity.
WOW, , feeling a little down about the market? Looking to get a little satisfaction smacking Honobob around? Not to quibble but Kougar2 never named the month of purchase so we're both only hand grenade close. Plus I never saw where Kougar2 stated he got in at a good deal or went out at the top. If you've read my other posts you'd be aware that he missed 12-16% appreciation in 2007. Instructive or indicative of long term trends? Didn't know that was my goal. Ten years seems pretty long term to me though and also supports my earlier posts that support double digit appreciation of real estate over 30 years. I'll put you on the doubters list along with all the people that said prices can't double in the 60's, oh and the 70's also..Hell even the 80's/90's and 00's! Yep, this time it will be different.

Can't we all just be HAPPY for Kougar2s (and all the other double digit appreciaters) good fortune. If I was tryan to piss off all the naysayers I would have pointed out how Kougar2 made 30% annual compounded return over 9 years on his initial 20% down payment!! And walked away with almost half a million tax free dollars! People would think I was a real estate cheerleader. Go Kougars Go, Yeah Kougars. K O U G A R 2 Go!
Smoking, pumping? Just the facts.
So what is this real estate law you're referring to?

4% Appreciation my *ss

Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Most of us live in the 'real world'....

I am IN Houston... and I bought my house in the last downturn 20 years ago... and my appreciation rate...

A whopping 3.1%.... I would LOVE to have the 4% "my ass" appreciation...
Don't live in the real world Live in that fantasy land called California
Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

honobob, I am not feeling "down" or any other way about the US market personally since I am not in it. I got out in 2003 or thereabouts after having sold my house that I bought for $130k in 1993 to a school teacher for .. (wait for it).. $630k (after putting in about $90-100k in improvements). If you think said schoolteacher is going to have realized another half-million PLUS 2003-2013 you are dreaming. A schoolteacher's salary cannot support a $1mm+ house, I am sorry. You live in a dream world. Others have been sucked into it.

Housing obviously cannot support rises grossly beyond people's ABILITY TO PAY.. i.e, WAGES, which are overall flat (the minority) if not receding (the majority). Oddball places like Hawaii and Nantucket or downtown Manhattan may to continue have a rich contingent that's able to squeeze out the "average" worker/homeowner, but that's just a symptom of a growing income and wealth divide... Honobob, get a grip. Go sell your enthusiasm to the huge number of folks who are upside-down on their mortgages.. 10% of them.

Fine. Go go Kougar and go go me.. we bought low and sold high. That is NOT the norm. I'm absolutely sure my $630k sale in 2003 did not have 12-16% appreciation in 2007. I'd be surprised if it even had 16% appreciation 2003-2008.

I still don't get why you are assuming that asset price increases during an obvious bubble (as shown above and basically anyplace else you care to look) can or should persist into infinity, when you are talking about overall regular RE prices and not Hawaii or the Hamptons or 5th Avenue.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #65
gone traveling

WOW! I guess you're right and I'm wrong and you were the only one to buy low sell high. I'm happy for you.

4% Appreciatiom my *ss!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I still don't get why you are assuming that asset price increases during an obvious bubble (as shown above and basically anyplace else you care to look) can or should persist into infinity, when you are talking about overall regular RE prices and not Hawaii or the Hamptons or 5th Avenue.
We all have our niches in the ecology of this board; otherwise the board could not exist as a thriving system. Honobob's niche is gung-ho real estate booster. Others are real estate naysayers, or skeptics, or just plain folks.

But without Honobob, they would quickly tire of posting to one another.

Go honobob!!

Ha
Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Go honobob!!

Ha
I second your recommendation that he go...

(Sorry. The set-up was way too good to pass up.)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
{quote]So a $250k "average" house today will be $500k in 10 years, and a million dollars in 20 years? Where is the wage/GDP growth to sustain that? They are desperately pumping their own sector.
hmmmmmmmmmm.

My parents bought their house for 20K in 1965, so in retrospect:

1965 -- 20K
1975 -- 40K
1985 -- 80K
1995 -- 160K
2005 -- 320K

That looks about right, actually. Their house IS worth about $320K now, so maybe 10% isn't that far off, on average. Of course, if you'd told them back at 20K that they'd be sitting on 320K today they'd have laughed you out of the room.

I don't know whether to feel good or bad about this.
My parents bought their home in the midwest in 1965 also for just under $20K. It's now worth $120K tops.

Real Estate, on the average, truly tracks "inflation plus a percent or two". And this assumes historical real wage growth. Wage growth going foward will be nowhere near historical levels.

And I am not convinced that there are "no brainer" appreciation locations over the next 20 years. The coastal, south, and waterfront addresses are so "bubbly" that few will see 10% annual growth (read: "inflation plus 7%").
Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
And I am not convinced that there are "no brainer" appreciation locations over the next 20 years. The coastal, south, and waterfront addresses are so "bubbly" that few will see 10% annual growth (read: "inflation plus 7%").
Well, that sure beats TIPS. And likely beats stocks too.

Ha
Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Most people are only looking at what they see... and only very close...

Hono might be getting the huge increases he says... and good to him...

But we all know that 'location' is the important part of RE...

Take my Mom's house... bought in 1959 at $10,500... in what is now a VERY BAD part of town... and the slab is cracked (it was 'fixed', but still horrible), the walls are all cracked... and there is CRACK in the neighborhood... she would be lucky to get $50K today...

Now.. if they would have bought for the same amount in a different place in the city... which has been the hot spot in last two decades... her LAND would be worth $750,000...

So, just having bought about 12 miles away cost her a huge bundle of money....

RE for the vast majority of people is taking a big hit... I am looking at moving into a house that would have sold for $220 a year or so ago... but I might get for $170.... and I will take the loss on mine, because it is not even near as much...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most people are only looking at what they see... and only very close...

Hono might be getting the huge increases he says... and good to him...

But we all know that 'location' is the important part of RE...

And that is perhaps the crux of honobob's arguement. Buy in the right area and you're golden. And really, is that any different than buy the right stock, or pick the right asset allocation, or pick the right amount of foreign to domestic equity?
I guess a difference is that for most people, they are going to buy in the place where they work, but even small towns have better areas and worse, or areas that will appreciate at a disproportionate amount. Maybe it's unknown what area will do better, but is that different than whether Google or Yahoo will go boom or bust?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #72
gone traveling

More Paired Resales

Housing slump? San Francisco condo resales.

188 Beulah #1 Sold 3/4/2002 $615,000
Resold 11/30/2007 $805,000 7.8% appreciation rate or about $2500 a month! Bad location on busy street across from stadium entrance in GG Park.

154 Carmel Street Sold for $961,000 on 8/20/2004
Resold for $1,510,000 on 11/9/2007 That would be 16% appreciation rate or about $15,250 a month!

The history of 1209 Cole Street
Sold 8/12/1997 for $400,000, resold for $881,000 34 months later appreciation rate of 30% or $14,147 a month. Resold 11/12/2004 For $1,050,000 only appreciated 5.5% or $3,189 a month. Resold again for $1,215,000 on 11/30/2007 a gain of $4,583 a month! Now if the first owner had held as Honobob suggest in chapter 27 of his book "buymybook/buymybook" his 10 year plus ownership would have resulted in ...wait for it... a long term annual compounded appreciation rate of 12%!!! or $6,626 each and every month.

Now here's a perfect example that illustrates the idea put forth in Chapter 232 of Honobobs book "buymybook/buymybook". Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 239 Brannan St Unit: 18A, San Francisco, CA, 94107 - Realtor.com This property was bought 7/2002 for $1,500,000. The owners never lived in it, they're from Colorado. Yet they invested in SF and are looking at appreciation of $850,000 which is an appreciation rate of 18%!

So why would anyone want the American Public to believe there is a housing slump?

Foreclosure bill a delight for lobbyists / Many Senate tax breaks would not focus on homeowners at all

CrazyakoleHonobob? Or akamai? Time will Tell. Oops, it already has.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Bob
You do realize that over the next few years that price are likely to be lower or at best flat ? This will lower your overall rate.
With stocks you can buy a mutual fund that suppose to represent the market as a whole. With real estate you buy your local market so everyones milage will defer. During the last downturn there were still a few areas that increased. If I remember the article correctly the Watts area actually went up, but the boom areas did trend down slightly. Of course most people just choose not to sell when real estate turns stale.
Rob
Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #74
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyrdpd View Post
Bob
You do realize that over the next few years that price are likely to be lower or at best flat ? This will lower your overall rate.

Rob
Rob, oh sure! If you look at the 10 year example I gave from late 1997 to 12/2007 that returned 12% remember the events over that time. Just recovering from the 1991/92 meltdown and a few flat years until 1999-2001 dot.com boom to the quick bust and then pretty quick recovery for real estate (actually most of SF downturn was in "loft properties") to the 2004/05/06? real estate/finance disaster??. And still a 12% compounded return over that time. I'm only saying 11% long term so if things go 8% down I'm still at 11%. I've never "lost" more than 9% in value in over 20 years in SF. But then recent resales comparing 2004 to 2007 are in the 16% plus range.

If I had major bucks I'd jump in and grab the 30% appreciation but with the transaction costs I have to settle for 11%. May go under that at some point but will be above it at some point. The next "jump" may be sooner than people think. The last sure was. If you're not in the market you stand to lose a lot if you can't act quick enough.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Hono.... I bet that if you were on the Titanic you would be saying...

"We aren't sinking... look, my side of the ship is going UP... sinking my a$$"....

Just as an FYI... my company had to write off $125 mill on a building they rented at the high of the comm market at $85 per foot and could not sublet even at $20....

I am watching house after house in decent neighborhoods being repoed and the people who actually want to sell not being able to reduce their price fast enough to get ahead of the declining curve...

They had an article on the news.... they used to do 10 evictions in a month here... now up to 40... and growing...

Some of the people here got in the life boat... others still think that they are on an unsinkable ship....
Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"We aren't sinking... look, my side of the ship is going UP... sinking my a$$"

Made me chuckle. That in a nutshell sums it up
Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #77
gone traveling

TP Did you abandon ship on the Disney Jungle Cruise? It's all make believe.

Texas?

D-FW industrial market showing solid gains - Dallas Business Journal:

Calif. lender to create 500 jobs - Dallas Business Journal:

New squad filling up empty building fast - Dallas Business Journal:

I'll check your facts and get back to you. Oh wait, you didn't provide any facts. OK your world is going to hell in a handbasket. Just please don't vote for my money to solve your imaginary problem.

You did read this?

Foreclosure bill a delight for lobbyists / Many Senate tax breaks would not focus on homeowners at all
Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:

Just as an FYI... my company had to write off $125 mill on a building they rented at the high of the comm market at $85 per foot and could not sublet even at $20....
Microsoft? Foundry Square? Can't be more than one at those prices unless you're making it up. I happen to know the whole story to that situation. Ask if you're interested in the whole truth.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #79
gone traveling

Real Estate Market Analysis | Bankrate.com

The national median for single-family homes during that same time was $206,200 -- down 3 percent from the beginning of the year.
One interesting note: condos and co-ops seem to be holding their value slightly better, according to the group. The national median price was $221,100 for the final quarter of 2007, down 1 percent from the beginning of the year.

Who we bailing out??

The horror!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Spring, 1993 at the watercooler: A secretary was crying in her coffee because 1) the value of the Bay Area house she bought in 1991, or was it 1992, had gone down; and 2) her job had changed from full to part time.