Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have any friends that are so good that they'll come into your house and take a beer from your
Yes 30 50.00%
No 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Real Good Friends
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Real Good Friends

That is, they are such good friends that they are like family.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Real Good Friends
Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I voted yes, but the person I'm thinking of is my dear friend, Frank. We are committed to each other, although we choose to live separately.

Also, neither of us drink so I mentally substituted "diet root beer" for "beer" in your question.

No other friend has been inside my house for years. Doesn't bother me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Don't have friends or family, and hate having people in my house.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have three close friends that could take a beer without asking or
a $20k loan without anything in writing, and a few more who could
have the beer.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #5

As a general rule I serve my guests when they are over. But when baking holiday treats with a friend she pours coffee for both of us after I make the pot. If there are a lot of folks over for a BBQ/swim I will say to help yourself which they do. It's like I enjoy doing for my friends but there are times when they are free to help themselves.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have been blessed with many good friends over my lifetime. However, distance and time has taken its toll.

My closest friends are the farthest ones away.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When our cat sitters came over last week, they help themselves to our cereal and milk since they didn't want to go to the store. It was fine with us.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:46 AM   #8

I have a few good friends that are close enough that I'd LET them without a second thought.. but they would be unlikely to without asking.. part of the reason they are good friends?? I didn't vote.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #9

Anyone we're friendly enough with to invite to our home is welcome to open the fridge and help themselves. Most of our good friends know that and the new ones are told when they walk in the door. We are also treated the same way at those friends houses. This is the way it always was at my parents and still is with their friends and neighbors. Coffee is always on, there's always something to eat and you're welcome to what ever they have. I like that kind of home and make mine that way.

We always have beer, soda, bottled water and wine available. In the summer the freezer has some kind of frozen treat. There is always a bowl of fruit on the counter and we can always find something to throw on the grill for and impromptu cookout.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
This is the way it always was at my parents and still is with their friends and neighbors. Coffee is always on, there's always something to eat and you're welcome to what ever they have. I like that kind of home and make mine that way.

We always have beer, soda, bottled water and wine available. In the summer the freezer has some kind of frozen treat. There is always a bowl of fruit on the counter and we can always find something to throw on the grill for and impromptu cookout.
I feel the same way. The reason I work so hard to buy my home and fix it up is so that my friends and family have a place to enjoy. we always have beer, pop, ice cream, and something to throw on the grill. I have a couple of friends who think nothing of coming over, drinking my beer, eating my steaks, and smoking my cigars.

Of course those are also the same friends that think nothing of spending their weekends moving my sh!t, painting my garage with me, or helping my put up drywall.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #11

I'm with saluki and outtahere. I have three friends (or couples, so it's really 5 of them) with whom I have what I call "interchangeable houses". We do impromptu invites, and pretty much act like we live there (helping ourselves, sleeping over if we don't feel like driving home etc). We'll also stop by each others' houses if we are in the neighborhood, with maybe a 5 minute warning via cellphone.

I wouldn't want just anyone to do this, of course, and we have no problem telling each other that "now is not a good time, even if you are about to pull into my driveway", but I consider these friends to be my extended family.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #12

I misread the question/poll to mean "do you have such good friends that they will come into your house (uninvited) without knocking and take a beer from your fridge without asking".

I have a really annoying coworker (NOT A FRIEND) that would do just this if it crossed her crazy little mind. Hopefully she will never figure out where I live. Last time I had a little party at my house for a couple of guys from work (Cops and 40's night ), the annoying coworker invited her crazy self to our party and we were taking bets as to whether she would show up. Yeah, she bugs me a little
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #13

i have friends who know if they want anything from the fridge they'll have to get it for themselves because i won't bother. i guess that's the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
I have been blessed with many good friends over my lifetime. However, distance and time has taken its toll.

My closest friends are the farthest ones away.
i empathize completely with you on this having already buried the three most intimately loved ones ever to have blessed my life. life goes on.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

Of course those are also the same friends that think nothing of spending their weekends moving my sh!t, painting my garage with me, or helping my put up drywall.
Yes, those are the same friends that called Monday to make sure someone had set up the generator and plugged in our sump pump so our cellar wouldn't flood, the same ones that dh plowed thier driveway when they were at work so they wouldn't have to do it when they got home.

MODERATOR EDIT: Corrected quote

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Yes, those are the same friends that called Monday to make sure someone had set up the generator and plugged in our sump pump so our cellar wouldn't flood, the same ones that dh plowed thier driveway when they were at work so they wouldn't have to do it when they got home.
That's what makes life worth living

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We're very comfortable with friends coming over and opening the refrig and helping themselves to whatever they want.

My hang-up, however, is when we are not home, I do not want anyone coming into my home. There are house sitters and dog walkers that can be hired when one is out-of-town. That would make me very anxious because I would not want them checking out my house, looking at my financial statements etc. Having listened to stories told by people who do watch one another's houses and then discuss personal details about the home and the homeowners, I am convinced I don't want anyone in our home when we are not there.

It does make life harder, though, because we can't be gone for extended periods of time Maybe I'll get over it when we retire and really start to travel...
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote