Join Early Retirement Today

Real or Gimmick?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Real or Gimmick?

When we sold our previous house in 1999, we also sold the neighboring lot, and loaned the new owners the money for the lot. They resold the property a few years ago and repaid the loan in full.

Today we received a notice from LSI Tax Services saying "This is a notice of delinquent property taxes for property that is secured bya deed of trust on which you are the lender..."

I ask if this is a gimmick, because almost weekly we receive some offer to receive cash for our note.

As part of this mailing, there is a form for me to sign that says "I authorize LSI tax services to cancel my tax service contract. My interest in this property has been satisfied."

Anyone familiar with this? Should I ignore it, or send in the cancellation authorization?

Thanks,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Real or Gimmick?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would check into it myself, with the county taxing authority. Get it straight from the horse's mouth. Or the horse's web site
Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If this is a poll, I'm clicking gimmick.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'd think you can safely ignore it. if there is a tax delinquency from a subsequent owner, it seems to be of no concern to you.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to imagine "LSI Tax Services" having any kind of authority or interest in the absence of your notification by a government body.

Did you possibly move and not leave a forwarding address with the taxing authority? About the only angle I can think of is whether they are some kind of collection agency.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Today we received a notice from LSI Tax Services saying "This is a notice of delinquent property taxes for property that is secured bya deed of trust on which you are the lender..."
I had this problem 20 years ago with a mortgage servicing company using my escrow account to make payroll instead of to pay the property taxes. Sometimes the property records are a few months behind the transactions-- would there be an escrow account involved with the new owners but your name being the last recorded deed?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

When you sold the property the buyer signed a note or mortgage which was probably filed with the county recorder. When the property was sold, you got paid but did you file anything like a "Satisfaction of Mortgage" or "Release of Mortgage" with the recorders office?

If not, than you are probably still listed as holding the loan on the property. LIS must be fishing the recorders documents for business. People offering to buy the note must be doing the same thing.