Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen "Cheaters" several times. I really do need to get a life.

It's another formula show: contestant thinks spouse or SO is cheating, show sends out detective with hidden camera, after many ads they return to show film to disbelieving contestant who goes ballistic, contestant confronts the couple together, lots of embarrassment, hiding faces, going after the camera, each other, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Howdy howdy,

First, I apologize for not showing up Sunday night with any info, I have been completely and totally bombarded the last 3 days, as once the word got out, I now have all the email, facebook, phone calls....it is quite a surprise!

Anyhooo. For those of you who haven't guessed correctly, I will be featured on The Amazing Race (season 14), which will begin Sunday February 15 at 8 pm (and our season is SO awesome that we are getting 12, not the usual 11, episodes!!)

If you are a fan, you can read up on all the racers at cbs dot com, I am the Victoria of "Brad and Victoria".

So far, I am not superly-duperly pleased with my own voice, words, appearance (you know that thing about watching yourself on film, or seeing yourself in a photo, and how you never look quite as awesome as you imagined?) I've heard the same reaction from others as well. I wonder why our brains allow us to be so self-critical! Ugh! Now I want to run out and get Invisilgns because I hate my teeth, lol!

Just to get you started, here is what I consider the best video that showcases the racers (I am about 2:40 minutes in):

Amazing Race-The Amazing Race 14 - All New Race, All New Teams - AOL Video

Unfortunatey, I can't say much more until after the finale...

I hope you enjoy it!

hahaha maybe when this all passes by, I will settle down and get back to working on the FIRE thing....

Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh excellent, my favourite show and I get to watch someone that I kind of know. Can't wait to see how you fare. BTW what is Phil like? He comes across as a really nice, warm person, so unHollywood like.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Awesome or should I say Amazing!!! I've never watched AR but I'll watch this one! Everyone has always said this is the best reality show--relying on contestants' skills, strengths, strategizing, etc. more than others.

Besides the cool name.

Good luck, queeneev!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #65

I have watched Amazing Race since series 1 so I will look forward to seeing you. Hope you do well. Good luck and make sure you check out the thread about you on television without pity.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny I was talking about reality shows with a friend. He is sort of an addict, and said that one of his favorites is Amazing Race. I said I think the only that I've been tempted to watch (besides Idol) is Amazing Race. I think I'll start watching now that I have somebody to root for beside the numerous hotties they have on the show. Gee I wonder why, good looking woman appear so frequently on these shows.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #67

How exciting that you are on my favorite TV show! You and your husband look amazing. I am impressed by your workout on the film. I need to get in shape. What I liked the most though was when your DH said that you really like each other. You sound like such a sweet couple and I will definitely be rooting for you. I have already emailed by daughter and sister your video and they will be rooting for you also. Like I said before though, even if you did not win, I hope that you had an awesome time.

I would love to be on the Amazing Race, but I don't think that I would be brave enough for some of the stunts and I don't know if I would be smart enough either. I probably should just keep watching it on TV!

Just out of curiosity, do you still live in Columbus OH? I think that I remember that from a prior thread. DH and I lived in Columbus for 9 years. We were married on Lockbourne AFB (the name at the time, but it changed to Rickenbacher AFB later.)

This will be so much fun. Can't wait until 2/15!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #68

Reality TV? More like surreal. I do watch C span for genuine drivel, which of course drives out ordinary drivel. The Peter principle is alive and well.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

A friend and I applied to get on the race... and like many people..... nada...

SO, what was it that got you on the race?

Any tidbits you can share like "Joe might look good, but he will stab you in the back in a second"...

A few curiosity questions.. do you 'pay' for the plane tickets or is there some agreement with the airlines? Do you get to keep the miles? Is there more information you get on the clues than what they show on TV? IOW, do you get a map or... well anything? How long are you racing? On the mandatory pit stops, do you only get overnight or do you get to really rest a day?

I know it is aready done and over... and you can not say what happened... but a 'good luck' anyhow...
Old 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

The Man Show used to be on Comedy Central for a few years. If that was a reality show, it was my favorite one. If it was not a reality show, it was just my favorite show. Now that Reno 911 is on, that is now my fav.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Laurence is going to be SOOO jealous! He and a friend wanted to be on that show a couple of years ago.

Whenever DH and I do something really lame when we are traveling - like go the wrong direction or say something wrong to someone in a foreign language (or English for that matter!) we always say, well that is why we can't be on the A.R. that's the clip they would show over and over! I'm sure I would come off looking like a total B - stress and lack of sleep coupled with a thousand people staring at me while I'm trying to assemble a bike or something would NOT be pretty!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Queeneev - Congratulations! My favorite show! We will watch you and wish you well, and you can tell us all about it after the show concludes, ok?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #73

Just wanted to remind those people who watch The Amazing Race that it starts tonight! Go Brad and Victoria!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #74

Darn - missed the message and didn't record it. We love Amazing Race and haven't missed a show since we started watching. Well, I hope Brad and Victoria are still in the hunt.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #75

Great episode. And clean rears.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #76

Enjoyed tonight's episode. Victoria you are far braver than I would be in the same situation. That bungee jump looked scary.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #77

You rock, Victoria. No way, would I have done that bungee jump. You are looking good so far.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #78

Another good episode, and Victoria is still in it.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #79

Keep us posted, you folks with TVs--I hope it all keeps going well for Victoria!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #80

Very interesting Episode. Victoria, do you care to comment?