Reality TV

Survivor and Amazing Race for me. Interesting scenery. I like the interpersonal interaction and competition aspect of both of these as well. Sometimes I get to enjoy "irritainment" - the quality of being entertaining by virtue of being irritating. If you watch the shows, you can probably imagine a few competitors who you love to hate, and who you don't want them to win because you hate them, but you don't want them to get kicked off because they make the show interesting.

Amazing Race is definitely my favorite. I watch Survivor every time, but I am starting to wonder why. Love HGTV and watching WVU football and the Steelers. I use to watch alot of the News, but don't seem to have as much time to watch, since I retired.

Nothing. I have been boycotting "reality" TV ever since it first began during the writer's strike in the late 90s. I know there was reality TV before that, but I mark that time as the end of an era. I'm sure there are probably reality tv shows I might like, but there's plenty else to watch. I see enough on commercials. I guess I don't like real people that much, and when one of them sells their soul to be on TV it offends me.

Then again, do people consider shows like Good Eats and House Hunters reality shows? I don't, but I do watch them and a few others like Yankee Workshop and Antiques Roadshow. I guess I just don't watch the ones where I thinkk people are being jerks just to be on TV.

TV has never been the same since Buffy went off the air, anyway.

Amazing Race is the only TV show I watch so I agree with you. Next season starts in February, so I hear.

I watch a couple shows on TRU TV. One of them is the REPO show.

Caught the one were the camera crew guy jumps into the back seat of the 7-Series BMW they were just starting to tow away, and he wouldn't get out of the car, so they took off with him in it. And Mr tuffy the head-case guy is driving the tow truck, and needs to use the bathroom bad... real bad. So he blows stop signs with the expensive BMW on the hook behind, and rips around a corner way way too fast. Which rolls the BMW upside-down (with cameraman inside), and continues to drag it down a street on it's collapsed roof, the BMW swinging wildly from side to side.

Yes, they sacked his *ss, I doubt anyone who owns a tow company in the Western world would employ him now.

I have a VERY COOL ANNOUNCEMENT to make on Sunday evening that at least a few of you should get a kick out of...

...and it will become blatantly obvious why I started this thread. :angel::angel:

Although... (as I prepare my excuses, stand defensive, and slick my brow down with spittle :hide:) , ulterior motive or otherwise, it's still a good topic, agreed?

Check back soon.

And no, I did not join the Rock of Love Bus, lol. :eek:

Does watching "Nature" on PBS count as a reality show? That's my #1, about the only TV show I watch at all frequently any more. And I share your appreciation of Bob Ross. He made painting look so easy!

Why do we have to wait until Sunday? I want to know now. The suspense is killing me!

The powers that be told me I have to stay hush about it until Monday. So I figured (since i am a rule breaker) I'd at least interpret that to mean Sunday night :whistle:.

If by chance you can back-fill the missing pieces before I post the info on Sunday, please don't name the show here, just say "oh oh oh! I know! I know!" :D. Not that those powers would ever know I came in here and spilled the beans, but....well, you just never do know.

Also, I won't be able to say anything much more about it after that, until the show is done airing. But y'all are welcome to comment and opine and critique and have fun in the meantime. Just know this - I cry when I am criticized (methinks that is why they put me on the show, lol, I am not one of those backstabbing aggressive people, and maybe I was thrown in as fishfood). Just kidding (about the fishfood, not the crying, haha, that part is so true!). But seriously, I am fine with anything anyone has to say about me, the show, the genre. I am, after all, the one who agreed to have a camera in my face. :flowers:

I can't wait, QueenieEvee! I hope the editing is kind to you (you know it might not be at all flattering, but of course we will blame the editing once we have stalked this enough to as you said, "put the pieces together"). I know someone who was on a "competitive reality series" a few years ago and the stories we were told were extremely interesting :) .

This is so exciting. I will "know" someone on a reality TV show and will definitely root for you, if I can figure out which show and which one you are. I can't wait! I hope that you won and if not, I hope that you had an amazing experience.

thanks in advance for your support! Sorry, I can't give you the air date but I can tell you that Sunday night. Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to set your DVR's.

How cool for you, Queen! I am very excited for you and although I do not watch tv, I will happily go somewhere and watch whatever show you are on, and root for you!
I used to watch the X-Files a long time ago, but nothing since then.
I can't wait to hear your good news! Yay!

The only reality show i can think of that airs Sunday night is
"Extreme Makeover"
I dont watch much on TV but i do enjoy WWE wrestling,Nascar events,and any Sci-Fi show

Queeneey - your tastes are very similar to my own. I watched so many sitcoms in my HS years that I never want to watch them now. I only watch documentaries and reality TV:

Amazing Race - #1, although they need to vary the game a bit. It needs some refreshing by shaking up the format. But a great show. It's the least backstabbing reality show IMHO; the game is won by racing skills rather than by who you can lie to.

Survivor - Coming up fast. Last 2 seasons were excellent. I've only watched for a few seasons.

Fear Factor - I used to treadmill to this. Lighthearted pulpy entertainment, lots of girls with surgical enhancement.

America's Next Top Model - would be better without Tyra. The Australian version is much better but you need to get it off the web.

Project Runway - Interesting show.

If by chance you can back-fill the missing pieces before I post the info on Sunday, please don't name the show here, just say "oh oh oh! I know! I know!" :D. Not that those powers would ever know I came in here and spilled the beans, but....well, you just never do know.

:flowers:

Queeneey - let's hope it's what I think it is! You will tell us which one you are, right?

The only reality show i can think of that airs Sunday night is
"Extreme Makeover"
I dont watch much on TV but i do enjoy WWE wrestling,Nascar events,and any Sci-Fi show

Amazing Race is a Sunday night show.
Which might or might not be relevant.

The reality of TV is that there might be 900 channels, but there's nothing to watch.

Queeneev, fun thread: I find that even after retirement (almost 5 months now) I still need what you call “mindless drivel after a day of hard work, much like I need a Hostess Snowball every once in awhile to appease my food soul.”

I like two or three from your list: “American Idol,” and “Antiques Roadshow," in particular. I’ll add one that both SO and I enjoy, “Wife Swap” although we dislike the format of people criticizing other people’s lifestyles. We fall right into the networks plot and watch “Super Nanny” right after “Wife Swap.” Those nannies are very wise women!

OTOH, thank god, these shows are heavily edited. They are great for “talking over” without fear of losing the thread of the presentation, so to speak.

One of the few things I missed when switching from expanded to basic cable was the HGTV channel, another was “South Park.” Confession: I’m just starting season two of “The Sopranos” on DVD. Interesting that back in 1999 when it started I missed some of the nuances of popular expressions like “bada bing!”

Hey, Queeneev. It is Sunday night. When are you going to post? I hope that it is before 8:00, because my computer is in the room where my baby granddaughter is sleeping tonight and she goes to bed at 8:00. Please don't make me have to use the laptop. I don't like using laptops. I know, I know, I need to get with the times. I have the most difficult time trying to get a laptop to do what I want it to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom