Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Purslane is the ban of my existence in my gardens. But yes, it tastes fine. I am not so fond of it cooked, the texture isn't the best for cooking.

Amaranth (pigweed) is good too, a relative of spinach i believe. I also like lambsquarters.
At our farmer's mkt we get a pesto made from sorrel. Fantastic flavor. I'd make it myself if I could find the stuff; I understand it grows wild, don't know if you can cultivate it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

It's amazing that you buy almost anything in today's supermarkets--chorizo is sold in WalMarts, for example, and canned chipotle peppers in adobo (something I first tasted in 25 years ago in Mexico in chicken/cilantro/lime/chickpea soup) are on the local supermarket shelf, and today cilantro is as easy to buy as fresh parsley. Had Nutella and Orangina (also available everywhere now) so many years ago in Europe--thanks for the thread, TromboneAl!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I make alot of my own salsa - when the fresh ingedients are available. If the tomatoes are orange/jalapenos like bell peppers - I buy Herdez salsa ranchera - very tasty/smoky and spicey - most other bottled/canned salsas are a big waste....

A quick recipe: Start with a saltine, add a thin slice of extra sharp cheddar cheese - put half a clove of raw garlic on the cheese - put a slice of raw jalapeno on the garlic - put a small dollop of salsa ranchera on the jalapeno - - put the whole thing in your mouth.....it is outstanding! I put these together for guests - everyone loves em. This contraption will keep you healthy as well!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Joe Garcia brand salsa is perty dang good.

http://www.joets.com/

I make fresh salsa in the blender with several tomatoes, a tomatillo, 2-3 jalapenos, a small onion, about half a bunch of cilantro, and a clove or two of garlic. Whip it, whip it good!

Better yet, roast all the ingredients first.

You can add some vinegar or citrus (lemon/lime) as a preservative.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

cannibal snadwiches............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hey, Dude, are the cannibals generally avalable fresh in the local grocery?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Shouldn't that be "nad" wiches?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #48

I've never had a snadwich, how do you keep the cannibals inside the bread from moving?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Okay, you made me look--

from http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/i...hp?ntid=263367

Quote:
Q. Is there a safe way to make cannibal sandwiches for my relatives over the holidays? A. No, according to the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
(blah blah, salmonella, e coli., blah blah, don't eat raw eggs either)
The relatives should be eaten separately, I imagine...
Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
When I was a child, Mother would go to the local deli/butcher shop/bakery on Saturday mornings and buy hard rolls (or some wonderful sour rye bread) and raw ground sirloin; we would eat that for brunch, she called them cannibal burgers (Father liked a slice of raw onion on his).
Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
When I was a child, Mother would go to the local deli/butcher shop/bakery on Saturday mornings and buy hard rolls (or some wonderful sour rye bread) and raw ground sirloin; we would eat that for brunch, she called them cannibal burgers (Father liked a slice of raw onion on his).
And you're still living? Goodness sakes ....

Never had steak tartare with a roll - too "exoctic" for me .....

- Ron
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Purslane! All these years, I have been throwing it away, without even knowing its name, leave alone that it's edible.

Hmm. Do I serve it fresh, tossed with some vinaigrette, along with baked nutria?

I would have to tell my guests to eat it, that it is not a garnish.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have to run by the asian grocers and buy some more of these:

They're fruit flavored hard candies from Japan - super sweet and super fruity tasting.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #54

I tried a raw leaf today of the apparent purslane today. It tasted like grass more than anything. Since it's free, I will certainly add some to my next regular salad for variety. Unless I get taken ill in the next 24 hours.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
We use this paste, my DW calls it tapanade, as a spread on sandwiches instead of mustard, mayo, etc. It can be made out olives, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. very tasty. I know they sell it at Trader Joe's.
How long does tapenade last? A friend brought us a jar from France over five years ago; we put some on crackers when we first got it, but it's still in the fridge OK, I'll throw it out and I'll get some at TJ's.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #56

Speaking of Trader Joe's, they have mochi ball ice cream in a package. They're the only mochi balls I've had. An aunt and uncle in AZ served us some and told us where they got them when we said we liked them.

And, speaking of something you bacon lovers have probably not tried, it is almost sacrilege on this forum to admit this, but I buy this and like it a lot:
ServeImage.aspx.jpg

I also love bacon but I find the veggie bacon strips easier to cook. I have the real bacon when I go out to eat for breakfast.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Compared to the typical American, we are more adventurous as it comes to food. We can eat most of the food that the European eat, particularly offals. I haven't tried haggis, but don't see it as a big deal. But then, we realize that was simply because our parents fed us offals, so that was no new taste. I often get annoyed by people who grimace at offals, or exotic meat like eel, venison, crawdad, etc... But then, I would not touch bugs or crawly things.

The one time we were in Sidney, I looked up an upscale restaurant in the center of town that served aboriginal food, but in a haute cuisine style. We had the concierge made a reservation for us that night. The day of the dinner, I struck a conversation with an Aussie bus driver. I asked if he had eaten kangaroo. He made a face and said that he would not eat "road kill". By the way, the concierge had not tried it either.

We were scared into a "no show" for the dinner. I regretted now not going through with it. It costs too much now to have the chance again to try kangaroo meat.

Perhaps some Aussie members can enlighten us.

PS. Mochi balls (see above post) at Trader Joe make excellent dessert. The small portion is just right.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Of course now that I've taken a liking to it, I'm having trouble finding much of it in my garden!

I'll have to try those (heck DW already thinks I'm nuts). I know we have lambsquarters, but I'll check some sources - descriptions can vary from area to area.

My Dad was big on this stuff, dandelion greens, mustard greens (in those days they could be high in lead if picked from roadsides). I'm a bit more selective, but I do find this purslane to be interesting.

-ERD50
dr.oz recommended it on oprah so i'm sure it will start popping up in grocery stores...!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress View Post
I find the veggie bacon strips easier to cook.
You can buy precooked bacon ya know?

Besides, all you have to do is put a piece of foil on a cookie sheet, lay the bacon on it, and stick it in a 350 degree oven for around ten minutes and voila...bacon. Make the whole pound and after draining on towels put it in a ziploc bag in the fridge. Voila...bacon for a week for breakfast, blt's, crumbling on salads, yada yada yada...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I haven't tried haggis, but don't see it as a big deal.
It isn't. We had it in Scotland (Edinburgh) and it was served on a plate, with "neeps and tatties". It was not served in the intestines in which it is prepared (hey - just like a big sausage!).

As for "roo", hope to try it when we go "down under" next June, along with Ostrich, which I've already had, but I consider "dry". Of course, that may be the way it was prepared - grilled Ostrich steak.

- Ron