Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chrysanthemum tea. Very popular in China. Very refreshing and aromatic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i usually enjoy weirding out people by eating flowers like violets, daylilies, tulips and roses, as well as the assorted weeds.
I'm picturing you in a public park on your hands and knees, grinning up at the tourists between bites.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzley View Post
If I'm going to drink soda, it has to be this one:

Vernor's ginger ale is the best! If you're from Michigan, you know about this stuff. It seems to be spreading a bit, though. We can get it in the grocery stores in KY. Comes in diet, too.
I totally agree. This does not taste like any other GA that is made. I have enjoyed it for over 50 years and I have never lived in MI, but grab it whenever I see it in a store.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

We've enjoyed a ginger ale called Blenheim's in the Carolinas--so gingery the aeration will make you cry.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I've done violets lilies roses, haven't done tulips (is it the petals that are edible?)
Yes, it is the petals.

Here is a nice list of some edible flowers. Some I find definitely more edible than others. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Edibl...lowersMain.htm

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Compared to exotic animals, wild greens should not scare anybody, at least as it comes to the taste. Toxicity is something else, however. I am sure you already check out the edibility of these plants.
Yup, I am careful.

My father was very good at plant identification and we ate things from cattail root to wild mushrooms. I would not trust myself on the mushrooms so I have not eaten any except morels and puffballs for for years.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm picturing you in a public park on your hands and knees, grinning up at the tourists between bites.
This is making my pants feel funny...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Yup, I am careful.

My father was very good at plant identification and we ate things from cattail root to wild mushrooms. I would not trust myself on the mushrooms so I have not eaten any except morels and puffballs for for years.
I had forgotten about the puffballs, they grew very large in Upstate NY.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love those little peanuts covered in a crunchy coating. They were really common in Belgium when I lived there, but now I find them imported from Japan in our asian food market.

I also like thinly sliced smoked horse meat (again, acquired the taste in Belgium) but can't find it here.

Those Cannibal sandwiches you are talking about? They're called "Americain" in Belgium. I thought that was funny, I'd never even heard of raw steak sandwiches before.

Finally, you can get a pretty good beer here: DeKonick, my favorite european brew.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Mochi is Japanese sweet made from sugar and sticky rice. It is very good by itself, great for people who are intolerant to wheat products. But when you combine Moochi with Ice Cream yum yum.

What a coincidence! I never heard of these before, and just last night we were out to dinner and were offered these for dessert. Very good - passion fruit, honeydew melon and strawberry flavored. Passion fruit was my fav by far.

Of course, I was able to 'impress' everyone at the table and say ' Oh yes, Mochi is a Japanese sweet made from sugar and sticky rice.'

Thanks clifp!

These were the ice cream filled ones, like what you pictured:

Mochi ice cream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50
Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #131

Very cool thread T-Al.

My favorite non-traditional foods are:

1. Banh Mi. Vietnamese sandwiches made with freshly baked baguettes. They have pickled carrots and a few other assorted veggies. You can get anything from chicken (Ga), BBQ pork (Thit Nuong) or pate. They put an interesting clear mayo in it too which is quite good. The bread makes this sandwich great and it's LOADS better than Subway/Quiznos or other mass market. The best part is that you can eat for about $2! Top this off with a Ro Ma (sp?) which is a refreshing neem juice type drink (lot like wheatgrass) and you're good to go. In SoCal we have small Banh Mi places because of the large Vietnamese population that are very good. There's a more mainstream place called Lee's Sandwiches which are opening up all over the US which is good but not as good as some of the local joints.

2. Hot Soba with slivers of pork. Very flavorful soup with buckwheat noodles (soba) with tons of flavor. You can also get cold soba in which the noodles are served on a bed of ice and dipped into the broth. Good on a hot day.

3. Masala Dosas (Indian crepes stuffed with potatoes). The vast majority of Indian restaurants are north Indian style food (kormas etc). This south Indian snack is quite good.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Banh mi, as described above, is a popular contribution to the American food culture. Another is the Vietnamese Pho, a beef noodle soup with a clear broth. In general, if you liked Chinese noodle or wonton soup, you would like Pho, although the taste and flavor are completely different. When I went to Montreal a few years ago, I saw Pho was popular there among the natives. On a cold day, a big bowl costing $6 (Canadian) hit the spot, and made you fell warm all over.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
In general, if you liked Chinese noodle or wonton soup, you would like Pho, although the taste and flavor are completely different.
I mentioned having Pho soup with beef heart and tripe (stomach lining) earlier. At least the last time I went, Pho 79 in Minneapolis was the best place around here... they have less exotic stuff than beef heart and I agree that it was very tasty.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

The standard uses soft tendon and tripe. But there are dozens of permutations including chicken and seafood versions, and the mysterious and slightly frightening 'beef ball'.

We have pho all the time. I learned to make a bastardized version a few years ago but its easier to go buy an extra large to go for $5 and split it with my wife.

The original involves blackening onions and ginger, and adding them to a broth made from long simmered ox tails...its a wee bit of work...

My quick version uses decent canned onion soup mixed with beef broth, 5 spice powder, ginger, and adds from there.

Good site and description:
Vietworldkitchen.com -- Pho beef noodle soup history, recipe

I havent ever tried the sandwiches at the vietnamese restaurants...sounds like something we oughta try this week.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

For the uninitiated, the "beef balls" are simply meat, not ground like burger, or shredded, but mashed, then rolled. That way, the meat fibers are finely separated, but not cut. So, the meatball has a very different texture than the common spaghetti meatballs. There's nothing to be afraid of, I have checked.

The Vietnamese just do not know how to translate!!! They also have "pork balls", "shrimp balls", "fish balls" etc... made the same way.

About Pho, if you do not care for offals, you can order just sliced beef, either precooked, or raw thinsliced so that the hot broth will cook it when they poured on top. It is still with the same clear broth, where all the flavors are.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the "beef balls" are simply meat
Eh heh.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

I'd bet the bull steer doesn't think that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

I think I'd be a little more concerned with catching a fish with a set.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #139
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The standard uses soft tendon and tripe. But there are dozens of permutations including chicken and seafood versions, and the mysterious and slightly frightening 'beef ball'.

We have pho all the time. I learned to make a bastardized version a few years ago but its easier to go buy an extra large to go for $5 and split it with my wife.

The original involves blackening onions and ginger, and adding them to a broth made from long simmered ox tails...its a wee bit of work...

My quick version uses decent canned onion soup mixed with beef broth, 5 spice powder, ginger, and adds from there.

Good site and description:
Vietworldkitchen.com -- Pho beef noodle soup history, recipe

I havent ever tried the sandwiches at the vietnamese restaurants...sounds like something we oughta try this week.
The sandwiches are great! you can get them for about $2-3 bucks and the buns are usually freshly baked...

try all the flavors - there is usually a house one that has the more unidentifiable meats and pate...the grilled pork/beef or chicken are more standard.

Also, the deli's that usually sell these also sell lots of different pre-made lunch bites - some combo of rice noodle or rice cake with pork, pork crumbles, shrimp, or fish cake. try them all they are yummy!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
try all the flavors - there is usually a house one that has the more unidentifiable meats and pate...the grilled pork/beef or chicken are more standard.
Yeah, the combination sandwich or special is called Dac Biet (I think). I've tried several varieties and just come to the conclusion that I just don't like pate. The Vietnamese that I've talked to really like the pate though.

I just had a nice bowl of Pho last night. For those who like Pho, you can also get a Vietnamese soul called Mi. The broth is different and the noodles are yellow egg noddles (Pho uses white rice noodles). They also come with different types of meat. When it comes to a bowl of soup though, I really think the Japanese hot soba with chaysu (pork slivers) hits the spot. DW uses to love Pho, but now she's switched to Bun (pronounced boon) which are the dry rice noodles with meat and vegetable with fish sauce.