Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We make a little 'bun' from time to time. I get some thin sliced flanken style short rib, marinate it in soy, fish sauce and Lee Kum Kee sweet chili and garlic paste (realllly good, available in most supermarkets), and grill it. A bowl of cooked drained rice noodles, bean sprout, shredded carrot and shredded carrot. Rib on top, little vinaigrette made from rice vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and some more of the chili/garlic paste. Bam!

In the Lee Kum Kee repertoire is also a black bean and garlic sauce. Steam some eggplant or toss some green beans in a fry pan for a couple of minutes until you get a little bit of brown on them and they're al dente, then toss in a few spoons of the black bean/garlic sauce and a few spoons of water, toss quick to coat and plate. Good and quick...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Peanut butter & tomato on whole wheat. Really.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, made me think of another one...a pizza with a whole wheat crust, tomato sauce, shredded carrots and raisins. No cheese. Thats it.

Surprisingly sweet and nutty.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hmm, made me think of another one...a pizza with a whole wheat crust, tomato sauce, shredded carrots and raisins. No cheese. Thats it.

Surprisingly sweet and nutty.
Wow. Must have been invented by a stoner with serious munchies.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

This came from an earthy crunchy place in the fru fru brownstone section of Bostons Back Bay around 30 years ago. My girlfriend at the time had a vegetarian sister who had a vegetarian boyfriend and they took us there for dinner.

I was supremely suspicious.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #146
Dryer sheet aficionado

Has anyone here tried Milo? I think its one of the most amazing chocolate drinks, and the powder can be eaten out of the can straight. It is just like the chocolate crunchies that you find in ice cream cake. I'm pretty sure it was a lot of nutrients in it.
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CFB, I think I remember that place.. and I had that whole wheat carrot/raisin pizza many times -- it was good -- kind of a high puffy crust.. but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the joint. I didn't even remember it by your description, but when I then read "brownstone" the pizza flavor came flooding back. Are you sure it was Boston? Because I want to say the place was "Pi Pizza" which I recall as having been in Cambridge.. and I always got the version with crumbled sausage, too.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, it was right near boylston street. My girlfriends parents were loaded and had set up her sister in a top floor condo in a newly renovated building and we were visiting for the first time. She was very nervous about them having spent over a hundred thousand dollars on an apartment! : Probably worth close to a million now.

May have been a multiple location sort of thing. Never seen that pizza for sale anywhere else, so must be!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
I do not know if Henry Thoreau ate quiche. But he sure ate purslane!

"I learned that a man may use as simple a diet as the animals, and yet retain health and strength. I have made a satisfactory dinner off a dish of purslane which I gathered and boiled. Yet men have come to such a pass that they frequently starve, not for want of necessaries but for want of luxuries." Henry Thoreau.

I saw the above quote in a book I have, entitled Feasting Free on Wild Edibles by Bradford Angier. It is an excellent book, which I do not refer to as often as I should, due to lack of color photographs for plant identification. The simple line drawings do not give me enough confidence to try more wild plants.

"Purslane ... the tastiest crop in the home gardens ... is native to India and Persia ... has been a food for more than 2,000 years. An early mover to Europe, it has been eaten there for centuries." Bradford Angier, Feasting Free on Wild Edibles, 1972, p.71.

A quick search on the Web showed that some books even devote an entire chapter to purslane. Hmmm. Perhaps I should start a purslane farm, instead of trying to grow more finicky vegetable.

P.S. In answer to Martha's post below, I have not had a chance to try it, having eradicated it from my yard.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Don't. It isn't that good. But it is easy to identify.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica08 View Post
Has anyone here tried Milo? I think its one of the most amazing chocolate drinks, and the powder can be eaten out of the can straight. It is just like the chocolate crunchies that you find in ice cream cake. I'm pretty sure it was a lot of nutrients in it.
I grew up on this stuff in the Philippines. We'd mix it with hot, boiled water from a thermos. I liked it much better than Ovaltine. And yes, we would sometimes eat spoonfuls of it straight from the can, although our parents discouraged that.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

haven't tried this... don't think i will... but it's food! on a stick!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
but it's food! on a stick!
Having spent all day yesterday at the California State Fair, I think I'm impervious to 'food on a stick' items for at least another year.

Strangest item: calamari on a stick. Not sure how that works and I didnt want to find out.

Also, no "pizza in a cup". Very disappointing.

For other northern california folks thinking about the fair, be advised that the fair food quality has dropped precipitously in the last two years. It was edible but unspectacular last year and quite inedible this year. We threw out most of what we bought after a bite or two. Corndogs were the only fully edible item.

So no 'really good foods you probably havent tried' there...

Having closely scrutinized the herd of tweekers who are operating the rides, I can only imagine the less presentable ones that put the rides together...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Having spent all day yesterday at the California State Fair, I think I'm impervious to 'food on a stick' items for at least another year.

Strangest item: calamari on a stick. Not sure how that works and I didnt want to find out.

Also, no "pizza in a cup". Very disappointing.

For other northern california folks thinking about the fair, be advised that the fair food quality has dropped precipitously in the last two years. It was edible but unspectacular last year and quite inedible this year. We threw out most of what we bought after a bite or two. Corndogs were the only fully edible item.

So no 'really good foods you probably havent tried' there...

Having closely scrutinized the herd of tweekers who are operating the rides, I can only imagine the less presentable ones that put the rides together...
That sucks planned on going tomorrow. Bleh if the food quality dropped that much..I wont go.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #155

ultimate expression of the food-on-a-stick?:

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Well the weather is nice at least. Gabe had a hell of a time between the rides and petting all the livestock. We went early so there werent a lot of people there, but by late in the day you could tell by the long lines who had the good food and who didnt.

Dont go tomorrow, go on thursday or next monday. Free parking and half price admission. $10 for two to walk in the door instead of $28. If you're taking a bunch of small kids, go on tuesdays when the rides are all a dollar instead of 3.
News - California State Fair: Today's events - sacbee.com
Old 08-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #157

I just wanted some good greasy fair fries. Ill just cook my own Wont be bringing any kids other than myself..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

I noticed that quite a few posters knew about Pho, a popular Vietnamese beef noodle soup. Just learned that in SF, there is a Pho joint where a gigantic bowl of Pho would be free if you could finish it. Else, it's $22. It has 2 lbs of noodle and 2 lbs of beef. It appears that a contender does not have to finish the broth (how many quarts in the bowl in the picture below?).

http://phogardensf.com/files/image/pgc15.jpg

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 AM   #159

Growing up in England there was always a big jar of Marmite in the cupboard,we'd put it on everything,my favorite was a sandwich of dark bread,watercress,Gorgozola cheese and a generous slathering of Marmite,Yum Yum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marmite_jar.jpg (54.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 AM   #160

A favorite here in Quebec is a concoction called Poutine, its french fries with curd cheese smothered in gravy..Looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poutine.jpg (110.2 KB, 1 views)