Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Yuck.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poutine quite popular with young people in BC too.

Ha

Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #163
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Growing up in England there was always a big jar of Marmite in the cupboard,we'd put it on everything,my favorite was a sandwich of dark bread,watercress,Gorgozola cheese and a generous slathering of Marmite,Yum Yum

Marmite? How about the real thing?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I look up Marmite and it appears to be the same as Vegemite, which I have not tried either.

I have been to Montreal and BC several times, but never heard of Poutine. I don't know about the taste, but it looks like having the potency to choke up your arteries in a quick order. Perhaps these Canadians are able to burn off the calories due to the lower temperature? Here in Arizona, I would be sweating Poutine, and that would not be a pretty sight.

I should be able to eat Marmite (or Vegemite) and Poutine (no weird ingredients or crawling insects here), but to really enjoy it is another question. When in Belgium where they eat a lot of "frites" (French fries) bought from street vendors, I ordered it with mayonaise to be like the locals. No unusual components, just a new combination. I simply did not enjoy it like with ketchup. It was just too rich with mayo. It might be the same with Poutine.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Wish I could put my local marmots in a jar. We have big, aggressive groundhogs that do great damage and are impossible to get rid of. Terribly un-PC of me, isn't it, to be so anti-wildlife!

Anyway, here is a candy I learned to love in England and don't expect ever to see in the U.S. Come to think of it, it seems more a French than a British sort of thing...the filling tastes like rosewater and lavender.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Turkish - Food with reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk
Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Wish I could put my local marmots in a jar. We have big, aggressive groundhogs that do great damage and are impossible to get rid of. Terribly un-PC of me, isn't it, to be so anti-wildlife!

Anyway, here is a candy I learned to love in England and don't expect ever to see in the U.S. Come to think of it, it seems more a French than a British sort of thing...the filling tastes like rosewater and lavender.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Turkish - Food with reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk
Nasty! I had that once when I was Holland. It was like kissing a girl with too much perfume on.

I'm of the I'll try anything once school of eating. This explains my girth. I've tried Vegemite and Marmite, and think that you have to develop a taste for them. And I'm not going to.

I've been on a bit of a tinned octopus in ink kick recently. Got a number of tins for a good price. I have to eat them when DW is outside watering the garden or something, but yum!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not know if Henry Thoreau ate quiche. But he sure ate purslane!

THAT'S what this stuff is. It drives me crazy in my garden. It does not grow anywhere else in the yard that I can tell.
It gets huge!
Now I wonder if the previous owner's wife planted it there on purpose.
Should I see if Mikey dh2b likes it?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A favorite here in Quebec is a concoction called Poutine, its french fries with curd cheese smothered in gravy..Looks like this.
Looks pretty good to me.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Talk about Marmite and Vegemite reminded me of the song Land Down Under by Men At Work, where a reference is made to a vegemite sandwich. You might recall that the Aussies liked the song and used it in the Olympic Closing Ceremony in Sidney a few years ago.

Travelling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said,

Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, do you speak-a my language?
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said,

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder

Lying in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?
And he said,

Oh! Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

THAT'S what this stuff is. It drives me crazy in my garden. It does not grow anywhere else in the yard that I can tell.
It gets huge!
Now I wonder if the previous owner's wife planted it there on purpose.
Should I see if Mikey dh2b likes it?
Tell Mikey "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche"; they eat purslane.

But first ask yourself, what would Julia Child do? I mean how would one prepare it? Perhaps Martha would provide a recipe.

I still have not tasted it. Some time ago, I picked up two clusters from my yard, and put them in the frig for later consumption. When my mother stopped by for a visit, my wife told her of my purslane, and gave it to my mother per her request. I did not know how and when my mother acquired the taste for purslane. We never had it when I was growing up.

I think my mother just blanches it. But, if you have marmots, may I suggest grilled marmot on a bed of purslane? Perhaps marinate the marmot with Marmite?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Too funny!
Recipes

Some of the sites I bopped around to said it is a very nutrient rich food.
I know for sure there are several huge purslane plants in my garden right now.

I need to get a closeup pic of the leaves for a positive ID before I put it on the table.

Poor Mikey dh2b, he is in for a real surprise.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

I just looked at the recipe. Do you have enough purslane for all those dishes?

About Mikey, you never can tell. He might just give you big hugs and kisses for a good meal. It has been eaten for thousand of years, so billions of people couldn't be wrong.

Do tell us the outcome...
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just looked at the recipe. Do you have enough purslane for all those dishes?

Do tell us the outcome...
There is a lot of it out there, if I am identifying it correctly.
My garden has gone crazy with weeds while I was away, and this is a good excuse to get out there and do some weed pulling.
I'll take a sample down to my Cooperative Extension for positive ID when I'm out and about today. Caution is best when harvesting from "the wild". I do not sample naturally growing mushrooms because the consequences can be awful.
Another culinary adventure begins...
Old 08-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Too funny!
Recipes

Some of the sites I bopped around to said it is a very nutrient rich food.
I know for sure there are several huge purslane plants in my garden right now.

I need to get a closeup pic of the leaves for a positive ID before I put it on the table.

Poor Mikey dh2b, he is in for a real surprise.
I just chop it into salads.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Is the purslane y'all have the same as the portulaca we bought and put in our garden? Beautiful red, orange, yellow, and pink flowers that open in the morning and close up in the afternoon? Or is it a weed variety with no redeeming visual qualities? I'd hate to think we paid for weeds.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

No botanist here, but I just found that your pretty portulaca and the edible purslane are in the same family. If you find out that your flowering plant is also edible, please let us know. Somehow, I suspect that it would not be true. Nature is rarely so kind to give us something that looks nice and also useful in other ways.

Hey, about your earlier comment on kissing a girl with heavy perfume, would it matter to you how pretty she is? The enquiring mind was just asking.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, about your earlier comment on kissing a girl with heavy perfume, would it matter to you how pretty she is? The enquiring mind was just asking.
If anything matters today, wait few years and it won't.

I like young women of any weight and height; older women I prefer thinner.

I love perfume.

I think the only total wipeout would be body odor, bad breath, missing front teeth or very bad skin.

Regarding body odor, women almost almost smell good which is a lot more than can be said for us.

Now back to the more important topic of what to do with purslane.

Ha
Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #178
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't read all the posts here but has someone mentioned kimchee yet? Korean in origin and fabulous. Cabbage, onions, garlic, salt, ginger and (sometimes) carrots and peppers. It is fermented and has great probiotic properties as well as being delicious. I buy a jar weekly at the natural food store in town. I got hooked 30 years ago when my husband was in the Army. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Kimchee is an acquired taste, and I have acquired it. I have stopped eating it because of the sodium content. I used it as a pickle.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You guys have hit my only two allergies in just one week - poison ivy and flowery perfumes. It just shuts my throat down. I have to speed-walk into department stores holding my breath. That's why the candy was so nasty to me. But if she was pretty enough, I'd try. But I can't hold my breath as long as I once could.

Kimchee! I love it. I read an article once in in a magazine that ranked Kimchee as one of the 5 or 10 healthiest foods in the world. I know it's got a lot of salt, but I suspect the good stuff significantly outweighs the bad.