Really Good Foods You Probably Haven't Tried

Has anyone here tried Milo? I think its one of the most amazing chocolate drinks, and the powder can be eaten out of the can straight. It is just like the chocolate crunchies that you find in ice cream cake. I'm pretty sure it was a lot of nutrients in it.

I grew up on this stuff in the Philippines. We'd mix it with hot, boiled water from a thermos. I liked it much better than Ovaltine. And yes, we would sometimes eat spoonfuls of it straight from the can, although our parents discouraged that.

haven't tried this... don't think i will... but it's food! on a stick!
macaroni2.jpg

but it's food! on a stick!

Having spent all day yesterday at the California State Fair, I think I'm impervious to 'food on a stick' items for at least another year.

Strangest item: calamari on a stick. Not sure how that works and I didnt want to find out.

Also, no "pizza in a cup". Very disappointing.

For other northern california folks thinking about the fair, be advised that the fair food quality has dropped precipitously in the last two years. It was edible but unspectacular last year and quite inedible this year. We threw out most of what we bought after a bite or two. Corndogs were the only fully edible item.

So no 'really good foods you probably havent tried' there...

Having closely scrutinized the herd of tweekers who are operating the rides, I can only imagine the less presentable ones that put the rides together...

Having spent all day yesterday at the California State Fair, I think I'm impervious to 'food on a stick' items for at least another year.

Strangest item: calamari on a stick. Not sure how that works and I didnt want to find out.

Also, no "pizza in a cup". Very disappointing.

For other northern california folks thinking about the fair, be advised that the fair food quality has dropped precipitously in the last two years. It was edible but unspectacular last year and quite inedible this year. We threw out most of what we bought after a bite or two. Corndogs were the only fully edible item.

So no 'really good foods you probably havent tried' there...

Having closely scrutinized the herd of tweekers who are operating the rides, I can only imagine the less presentable ones that put the rides together...

That sucks planned on going tomorrow. Bleh if the food quality dropped that much..I wont go.

Well the weather is nice at least. Gabe had a hell of a time between the rides and petting all the livestock. We went early so there werent a lot of people there, but by late in the day you could tell by the long lines who had the good food and who didnt.

Dont go tomorrow, go on thursday or next monday. Free parking and half price admission. $10 for two to walk in the door instead of $28. If you're taking a bunch of small kids, go on tuesdays when the rides are all a dollar instead of 3.
News - California State Fair: Today's events - sacbee.com

I just wanted some good greasy fair fries. Ill just cook my own :p Wont be bringing any kids other than myself..:D

I noticed that quite a few posters knew about Pho, a popular Vietnamese beef noodle soup. Just learned that in SF, there is a Pho joint where a gigantic bowl of Pho would be free if you could finish it. Else, it's $22. It has 2 lbs of noodle and 2 lbs of beef. It appears that a contender does not have to finish the broth (how many quarts in the bowl in the picture below?).

http://phogardensf.com/files/image/pgc15.jpg

Growing up in England there was always a big jar of Marmite in the cupboard,we'd put it on everything,my favorite was a sandwich of dark bread,watercress,Gorgozola cheese and a generous slathering of Marmite,Yum Yum

Attachments

• marmite_jar.jpg
    marmite_jar.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
A favorite here in Quebec is a concoction called Poutine, its french fries with curd cheese smothered in gravy..Looks like this.

Attachments

• poutine.jpg
    poutine.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1
Poutine quite popular with young people in BC too.

Ha

Growing up in England there was always a big jar of Marmite in the cupboard,we'd put it on everything,my favorite was a sandwich of dark bread,watercress,Gorgozola cheese and a generous slathering of Marmite,Yum Yum

Marmite? How about the real thing? :D

I look up Marmite and it appears to be the same as Vegemite, which I have not tried either.

I have been to Montreal and BC several times, but never heard of Poutine. I don't know about the taste, but it looks like having the potency to choke up your arteries in a quick order. Perhaps these Canadians are able to burn off the calories due to the lower temperature? Here in Arizona, I would be sweating Poutine, and that would not be a pretty sight.

I should be able to eat Marmite (or Vegemite) and Poutine (no weird ingredients or crawling insects here), but to really enjoy it is another question. When in Belgium where they eat a lot of "frites" (French fries) bought from street vendors, I ordered it with mayonaise to be like the locals. No unusual components, just a new combination. I simply did not enjoy it like with ketchup. It was just too rich with mayo. It might be the same with Poutine.

Wish I could put my local marmots in a jar. We have big, aggressive groundhogs that do great damage and are impossible to get rid of. Terribly un-PC of me, isn't it, to be so anti-wildlife!

Anyway, here is a candy I learned to love in England and don't expect ever to see in the U.S. Come to think of it, it seems more a French than a British sort of thing...the filling tastes like rosewater and lavender.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Turkish - Food with reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk

Wish I could put my local marmots in a jar. We have big, aggressive groundhogs that do great damage and are impossible to get rid of. Terribly un-PC of me, isn't it, to be so anti-wildlife!

Anyway, here is a candy I learned to love in England and don't expect ever to see in the U.S. Come to think of it, it seems more a French than a British sort of thing...the filling tastes like rosewater and lavender.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Turkish - Food with reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk

Nasty! I had that once when I was Holland. It was like kissing a girl with too much perfume on. :sick:

I'm of the I'll try anything once school of eating. This explains my girth. :rolleyes: I've tried Vegemite and Marmite, and think that you have to develop a taste for them. And I'm not going to.

I've been on a bit of a tinned octopus in ink kick recently. Got a number of tins for a good price. I have to eat them when DW is outside watering the garden or something, but yum!

I do not know if Henry Thoreau ate quiche. But he sure ate purslane!

THAT'S what this stuff is. It drives me crazy in my garden. It does not grow anywhere else in the yard that I can tell.
It gets huge!
Now I wonder if the previous owner's wife planted it there on purpose.
Should I see if Mikey [-]dh2b[/-] likes it? :LOL:

Talk about Marmite and Vegemite reminded me of the song Land Down Under by Men At Work, where a reference is made to a vegemite sandwich. You might recall that the Aussies liked the song and used it in the Olympic Closing Ceremony in Sidney a few years ago.

YouTube - Men at work: Land down under!!!! (One of their best songs!!)

Travelling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said,

Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, do you speak-a my language?
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said,

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder

Lying in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?
And he said,

Oh! Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?

THAT'S what this stuff is. It drives me crazy in my garden. It does not grow anywhere else in the yard that I can tell.
It gets huge!
Now I wonder if the previous owner's wife planted it there on purpose.
Should I see if Mikey [-]dh2b[/-] likes it? :LOL:

Tell Mikey "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche"; they eat purslane. :D

But first ask yourself, what would Julia Child do? I mean how would one prepare it? Perhaps Martha would provide a recipe.

I still have not tasted it. Some time ago, I picked up two clusters from my yard, and put them in the frig for later consumption. When my mother stopped by for a visit, my wife told her of my purslane, and gave it to my mother per her request. I did not know how and when my mother acquired the taste for purslane. We never had it when I was growing up.

I think my mother just blanches it. But, if you have marmots, may I suggest grilled marmot on a bed of purslane? Perhaps marinate the marmot with Marmite?

Too funny! :LOL:
Recipes

Some of the sites I bopped around to said it is a very nutrient rich food.
I know for sure there are several huge purslane plants in my garden right now.

I need to get a closeup pic of the leaves for a positive ID before I put it on the table.

Poor Mikey [-]dh2b[/-], he is in for a real surprise.

I just looked at the recipe. Do you have enough purslane for all those dishes?

About Mikey, you never can tell. He might just give you big hugs and kisses for a good meal. It has been eaten for thousand of years, so billions of people couldn't be wrong. :D

Do tell us the outcome...

I just looked at the recipe. Do you have enough purslane for all those dishes?

Do tell us the outcome...
There is a lot of it out there, if I am identifying it correctly.
My garden has gone crazy with weeds while I was away, and this is a good excuse to get out there and do some weed pulling. :LOL:
I'll take a sample down to my Cooperative Extension for positive ID when I'm out and about today. Caution is best when harvesting from "the wild". I do not sample naturally growing mushrooms because the consequences can be awful. :nonono:
Another culinary adventure begins...:ROFLMAO:

Too funny! :LOL:
Recipes

Some of the sites I bopped around to said it is a very nutrient rich food.
I know for sure there are several huge purslane plants in my garden right now.

I need to get a closeup pic of the leaves for a positive ID before I put it on the table.

Poor Mikey [-]dh2b[/-], he is in for a real surprise.

I just chop it into salads.

Is the purslane y'all have the same as the portulaca we bought and put in our garden? Beautiful red, orange, yellow, and pink flowers that open in the morning and close up in the afternoon? Or is it a weed variety with no redeeming visual qualities? I'd hate to think we paid for weeds. :LOL:

Portulaca%20Oleraceae%20Cultivars.jpg

Back
Top Bottom