Join Early Retirement Today

Really great deal if you need to upgrade cell phones
Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Really great deal if you need to upgrade cell phones

We went to T-Mobile today. Almost signed up with them last year, but we would have had to upgrade our phones and we werenít ready. Now we are. You can get up to $750 off a new phone, although they only offer this deal as one per account, so we canít double up. Still, this gets you a free iPhone XR or $750 off the XS or XS Max.

Iím getting an Apple Watch also, so we need 4 lines - our two cells, the watch, and my iPad. We can get 4 lines for $100/month with no contract. Pretty excited about this!

We will still be dropping serious $ to buy two XS phones, the watch, screen protectors, cases, etc. but our 6ís are several years old now and weíre ready for better cameras. And $750 off is pretty nice!

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
... need to upgrade cell phones ...
Sorry. Input error. Does not compute.

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Poor signal where I live which shouldn't be the case as I am in heavily populated central New Jersey, so no go for me.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm toying with the idea of going back to a simple flip phone since the smart one I have is becoming a pain in the butt with all the irritations, robo calls, annoying marketing texts, and battery issues.

Now that I am retired, I don't need the email capability and don't need to be on the 'net at any given moment.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad you found a good deal. We’ve been very happy with T-mobile.

But we won’t pay for the watch data plan - not worth it to us. DH upgraded to series 4, got a terrific rebate on his Series 3 watch. He chose a non-LTE watch this time.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm toying with the idea of going back to a simple flip phone since the smart one I have is becoming a pain in the butt with all the irritations, robo calls, annoying marketing texts, and battery issues.

Now that I am retired, I don't need the email capability and don't need to be on the 'net at any given moment.
I have Motorola flip phone on Verizon network pre-paid.
This flip phone is about 15 years old.
Starting Jan. 1, 2020, I will need a flip phone that is 4G LTE compatible.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Veri...twork_id106697
There is only 1 flip phone for pre-paid!
The reviews are poor.

I have a ZTE Z233VL with Tracfone on Verizon network.
It is larger than a true flip phone.
Horrible sound. Horrible texting interface.
Surf the web? Forget about it. Yet I have to pay for a smartphone plan, because it is a 4G LTE phone.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

How would a flip phone avoid robo calls or marketing texts?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

After years with an iPhone on Verizon, I abandoned ship. I ditched my cratering iPhone 5 and got a FREE LG phone when I switched to Cricket Wireless and transferred my cell phone number over there. $30/month for unlimited talk and text, with 2GB data. No fees, no tax, just $30. Completely free phone, not even 1 cent to pay for it and I love it.

This plan and phone fit my usage patterns and priorities perfectly, but of course this may not be the case for other people. It helps to think about what functionality we really care about having in our cell phones. For me, not much.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
How would a flip phone avoid robo calls or marketing texts?
Can't you set those up to power off when you fold them?

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Can't you set those up to power off when you fold them?
That's what I would do and set it not to receive texts. I really just would like a phone that's just a phone. Internet is not important to me when I am not home locally.

I've had a smart phone since they have been out (early Apple Iphone) and I am just getting tired of it now that I don't need the functionality. Maybe it's age or something like that.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We went to T-Mobile today. Almost signed up with them last year, but we would have had to upgrade our phones and we werenít ready. Now we are. You can get up to $750 off a new phone, although they only offer this deal as one per account, so we canít double up. Still, this gets you a free iPhone XR or $750 off the XS or XS Max.

Iím getting an Apple Watch also, so we need 4 lines - our two cells, the watch, and my iPad. We can get 4 lines for $100/month with no contract. Pretty excited about this!

We will still be dropping serious $ to buy two XS phones, the watch, screen protectors, cases, etc. but our 6ís are several years old now and weíre ready for better cameras. And $750 off is pretty nice!
Word of warning with tmobile to anyone considering: avoid anything with bill credits. Sometimes they offer to discount a product, give a free product, whatever. Ask them specifically if this will be achieved thru bill credits. In our case it was, and apparently it was a sticky note or something at tge store where we signed up. Very hit and miss, we had to keep calling. Finally he just did the math and completely zeroed out our bill for the month and asked us to call something like 35 days later and he would do the rest. Very unorganized. Very annoying. Glad we are done with that.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Word of warning with tmobile to anyone considering: avoid anything with bill credits. Sometimes they offer to discount a product, give a free product, whatever. Ask them specifically if this will be achieved thru bill credits. In our case it was, and apparently it was a sticky note or something at tge store where we signed up. Very hit and miss, we had to keep calling. Finally he just did the math and completely zeroed out our bill for the month and asked us to call something like 35 days later and he would do the rest. Very unorganized. Very annoying. Glad we are done with that.

Uh-oh. The $750 is saved through bill credits. Hope we donít have a bad experience.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Poor signal where I live which shouldn't be the case as I am in heavily populated central New Jersey, so no go for me.

They told us if we have issues with signal at home, they will give us a free signal booster. Weíll see. If we donít get good service, weíll switch back to Verizon in a heartbeat. While $750 is a big savings, we are not willing to tolerate poor service.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Glad you found a good deal. Weíve been very happy with T-mobile.

But we wonít pay for the watch data plan - not worth it to us. DH upgraded to series 4, got a terrific rebate on his Series 3 watch. He chose a non-LTE watch this time.

I havenít had the watch before, but Iím looking forward to leaving my phone at home during walks, bike rides, hikes and workouts. Excited about trying it. If I decide I donít want to use the cellular capability, I can drop the line although itís only $10/month.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #15

I stand behind consumer cellular. DH/me bought $100 new iphone 5 and pay $40 (total) for both lines, 2GB of data, unlimited calls and text. They use ATT cell towers. If you go over data they simply adjust you up to next level, no fees. The next month you can go back to the cheapest data plan, again no fees. Seniors get 10% discount, every little bit helps.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I haven’t had the watch before, but I’m looking forward to leaving my phone at home during walks, bike rides, hikes and workouts. Excited about trying it. If I decide I don’t want to use the cellular capability, I can drop the line although it’s only $10/month.
I leave my phone at home all the time during walks, bike rides, swims, workouts. No problem.

Without LTE that just means I won’t get calls or texts without the phone nearby. It does not affect the exercise program at all.

I think the LTE capability is all about still being able to call and text when you leave your phone at home. Some folks like to go out and run errands without their phone, but don’t want to miss calls, texts. That was never an issue for us. Unless out for exercise, we usually carry our phones.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #17

Quote:
I've been watching T-Mobile promotions for a deal like this but according to the web site you have to trade in your existing phone to get this promotion. I have an iPhone X that I can sell back to Apple for $500, so if I have to give it to T-Mobile to get the new phone it's not that great of a deal to me. Did you have to trade your phone in to get your deal?

Their 55+ pricing service plan is a great deal. It's $75 for two lines, inclusive of all taxes and fees. That would save us about $60/month on two lines compared to our AT&T pricing. I'm ready to switch but was hoping to get a free phone as part of the deal.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I've been watching T-Mobile promotions for a deal like this but according to the web site you have to trade in your existing phone to get this promotion. I have an iPhone X that I can sell back to Apple for $500, so if I have to give it to T-Mobile to get the new phone it's not that great of a deal to me. Did you have to trade your phone in to get your deal?

Their 55+ pricing service plan is a great deal. It's $75 for two lines, inclusive of all taxes and fees. That would save us about $60/month on two lines compared to our AT&T pricing. I'm ready to switch but was hoping to get a free phone as part of the deal.

Yes we traded in my iPhone 6. Technically it was ineligible because itís so old, but they made an exception.