Join Early Retirement Today

Reason 538 Why Being FIREd Beats Working
Old 12-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reason 538 Why Being FIREd Beats Working

Not having an employer means you can hang up all the Dilbert cartoons you want, unless this poor guy who got the other type of fired when his employers said he was engaging in miconducting by insulting his bosses (by hanging a Dilbert cartoon that says it seems that decisions are made in his company by drunken lemurs and the other replies that decisions are amde by people who have time, not talent):

FOXNews.com - Judge Sides With Man Fired for Posting 'Dilbert' Comic in Office - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Administrator

Some folks have no sense of humor!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #3

I certainly wouldn't want to work a that place.

Wait one...

I mean I wouldn't want to work at a place like that.

No, wait...

I definitely wouldn't want to work at any place.

Now I remember why I'm happy all the time.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Scott Adams has a great marketing opportunity to pay this guy's legal fees...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Some folks have no sense of humor!
Like my former employer! I've always meant to post about this.

We were trying to get a government contract to train disabled people to perform janitorial services in government buildings. The person in charge of writing the grant and meeting with the people kept using the slogan "We can do it!" in trying to convince the deciders that our agency was capable of handling the contract. She hung up a poster of Rosie the Riveter (you know, the famous one from WWII, with a woman raising her fist). The President of the company made her take it down because she felt it was an obscene gesture!

That's the mentality I worked with! And that is reason 539 why I FIREd!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The bottom line is that you can fire someone for having a Dilbert cartoon up at work but probably are not going to be able to take away their unemployment. I can't believe they objected to his unemployment claim.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It has been so long since I worked for money that I have forgotten how awful it can be. A few days ago I was reading in the newspaper room of the downtown library. There were three very helpful women on duty. I watched two different types of a-holes abuse them in succession, in the space of one hour. I was sitting close enough that I could hear their conversation between episodes. They hardly reacted, leading me to believe that what I saw (which would have made me mouth off strongly) all in a days' work for them.

First abuser was the wanna-be important executive type. "Why is this taking so long? I have to catch a ferry back to Bainbridge! Where is that woman Can’t you hurry? Don’t you even have that newspaper? Most of these things he shouted across the reading room.

Next abuser was a typical low class guy who couldn't understand using the printer, and who had no time for explanations because he didn't want to miss his bus and have to wait in the rain. He lives in Seattle, he travels by bus, yet rain holds terror for him? He punctuated his complaints with lots of loud cursing.

When I got up to leave I thanked them for helping me. They looked stunned.

I added librarian to the list of jobs that I am glad I never had to do.

Ha
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I added librarian to the list of jobs that I am glad I never had to do.
I tried creating a list of jobs I would be willing to do. I need to own my schedule and not deal with anybody I don't like. It's a very short list.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
I tried creating a list of jobs I would be willing to do. I need to own my schedule and not deal with anybody I don't like. It's a very short list.
If anybody comes up with a job like that let me know!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #10

For 7 blissful months I was allowed to take my (then) new dog/puppy to work. She stayed in my office. I would get calls from headhunters trying to get me to go to another job. I would always ask about the bringing-pets-to-work policy at the new job. They just laughed and said I was rooted in place. When the office admin complained about my having a dog at work (it was against the rules! - she actually liked having the dog there) I was told No More Dog. I found another job but never another one where I could bring my dog to work.

When I called the headhunters about a new job I requested one that had high pay/no responsibility/short hours. No luck there either.

Mike D.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had this cartoon of Dogbert by my desk for a loooong time at w*rk. It p*ssed off a few people, but most laughed.

BTW, those who were p*ssed off, were the ones possessed by the demon of stupidity!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stupidity_1170973245.jpg (52.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The Dilbert Blog: Man Fired For Posting Dilbert Comic

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
You're easy to please! I need all that, and also need to be able to wear comfortable clothes and to have control over my work environment (temperature and noise level, for example)

ER is going to suit me just fine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #14

Just this week, co-workers were asking my opinion about an issue I had w*rked on 2 years ago. This weeks "beating a dead horse" came up in the conversation.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote