Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"We're gonna keep having these meetings until you can stop making excuses and explain why you're not getting any work done!!"
MAD Magazine: "We're having these meeting twice a day until we find out why productivity is down."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I very rarely went to any of those farewell luncheons, especially after the first few years I worked (late 1980s). When I was approached to select a place for my own farewell luncheon 3 years ago, I told them I did not want to have one. They seemed surprised but not totaly shocked. I think they were more disappointed because they could have an extended lunch for themselves LOL!

Instead, however, they took the money they would have spent for my luncheon and gave it to me in cash, a most pleasant surprise. It was about $160 which was nice. My best friend/coworker at the office treated me to a lunch at a nearby diner we often went to and that was nice, too.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I kind of like these things. Fun to screw around and BS with the buds from the office sometimes. Just went to a self funded celebratory lunch today with our team of 20 or so (coworkers, consultants, etc). Good way to spend $8.63, get a good lunch and establish rapport with and suck up to people that could potentially make my working situation much more lucrative.

This weekend we have DW's annual Appreciation day picnic - tons of fun for the kids. And it is a huge thing so we can remain fairly anonymous if we want. Great food too!

I guess it depends on how much you like your coworkers. I like mine, which is an immense help in making the job tolerable.

I do find the passing of the envelope for every little event to be tedious. My boss finally said "know what I'm tired of this bull$hit, I'm not throwing in money for every little thing, screw it". This is why I like my coworkers so much!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Although I'd say that I'd hate that stuff, in the 80s I worked in a small software development company, and we did a lot of fun stuff together. Sailing, skiing, happy hours, parties.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Special events, celebrations, and the like at work went a long way towards making my ER possible. To this day, five+ years after retirement, I'm still wearing the caps, tee shirts, polo's, sweatshifts and jackets (a couple of really nice ones) that were passed out.

Thanks MegaCorp!

Edit: I forgot to mention the key chains, ball point pens, notebooks, scratch pads, paper weights, clocks, and miscellaneous little thingies.
Ha. +1 I'm still wearing some of those T shirts and just yesterday I tossed some goofy trinkets I found sitting in a drawer. But more of it came from IT expos at conferences (and contractor booths at our own agency expo) than bonding exercises.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I kind of like these things. Fun to screw around and BS with the buds from the office sometimes...
I guess it depends on how much you like your coworkers. I like mine, which is an immense help in making the job tolerable.

I do find the passing of the envelope for every little event to be tedious.
This is about where I came down. I like the people I worked with and worked for me so I enjoyed social events. I still go to retirement parties and occasionally have lunch with former coworkers. A big part of it is personality. Some people simply don't like those things and they were not under pressure to come - at least not in my organization. I would not like to work at an outfit where people had to come to such events.

A related practice I would hate would be being expected to "have the boss over for dinner" or vice versus and I never did. It was still going on at my agency when I first started (and was too low level to be effected) My take is that was a vestige of the Ad Men era of the 50s/60s but I suppose there are some outfits that still expect it. Ugh.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Malcom Baldridge National Quality Award Competition
Ahhh...Baldrige award. Such fond memories.

We did it once. We can do it again. Every division will submit an application this year.

Lets do a separate Baldrige application just for the headquarters function. That can help us identify pockets of unnecessary work that we can eliminate.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ahhh...Baldrige award. Such fond memories.

We did it once.
We won it and I still have the scars...but I will confess going to the presentation ceremony in DC was fun.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We won it and I still have the scars...but I will confess going to the presentation ceremony in DC was fun.
Well done...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Baldridge, Six Sigma, JIT, ISO9000, ISO9001...

Diversity training, balancing work and life training (as if), compliance training, training training...

Ack...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

A former neighbor had a party at their home after passing out the Christmas bonuses. One of the guests thought they should have been more generous, got drunk and danced on their couch.

No more Christmas parties!!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Come to think of it, screwing around and not working is actually my favorite part of working. Besides lunch, long coffee/watercooler breaks, vacations, "sick" days, and a decent pay check, there is really nothing redeeming about work.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Come to think of it, screwing around and not working is actually my favorite part of working. Besides lunch, long coffee/watercooler breaks, vacations, "sick" days, and a decent pay check, there is really nothing redeeming about work.
Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" claims that "good" work has a degree of autonomy while being complex and fulfilling.

I manage to do that every day in the comfort of my own home...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" claims that "good" work has a degree of autonomy while being complex and fulfilling.

I manage to do that every day in the comfort of my own home...
I just approach work as a volunteer gig where I get paid occasionally.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

This year has been exceptionally good business wise, so rather than our usual Christmas party, my business partner and I decided to charter a 6 seater plane and fly the employees to a city that is about 200 miles away. Then we'll take a limo to a nice steak & seafood joint. The whole thing is sort of a guys day/night out/staff appreciation. While the staff seems to be all for it, I wonder if by not holding our Christmas party, if we'll be disappointing the wives & girlfriends. Who knows, maybe they are relieved that we aren't having it. The employee Christmas bonuses will be quite a lot more than past years, so hopefully that'll smooth over some potential bad feelings.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Grizz I think you and your partner have the best of intentions... but your employees' contribution to your business results were not just theirs.. it was also the spouses/SOs who backstop-ed their work-lives.

My pre-retirement life was HR. We had an employee who made a huge contribution to a project. The Div HR manager contacted his wife, found out what it would take to enable the employee & wife to spend a couple weeks away. The company had a lot of 'comps' to draw on. Basically they arranged for child care, and all expenses for a vacation for the couple. He was called into the managers office, given the travel package and told all was arranged. Have a great time.

Not every company has the resources to do that but sometimes you can offer employees a 'pick one' reward for a great year at a pizza party where everyone comes out a winner.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"We're gonna keep having these meetings until you can stop making excuses and explain why you're not getting any work done!!"

MAD Magazine: "We're having these meeting twice a day until we find out why productivity is down."
CLASSICS!

At one of the fundatory events I went to, I asked if it was open bar. One of the pilots replied, "It's the only way to get a-holes like us to hang out with a-holes like us!"
Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just approach work as a volunteer gig where I get paid occasionally.
And for most many of us, that's dead on...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

My old company tried a 3-day camping trip in the wilderness to "build team spirit."

Who would've guessed that sleeping in a tent, going to the bathroom in the woods, and not being able to take a warm shower could make people grumpy?

A few weeks later about 20% of the people quit and I left 6 months later (not because of the trip, but for other reasons).
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We had those too, once a year. At lunchtime went to a nearby park where, after an awards ceremony, we could eat, play baseball, and/or talk for the rest of the afternoon. If you didn't want to go, then you had to sit in your cubicle and work all afternoon.

Some people went to the park and then after an hour or so just quietly drifted away towards the parking lot (shhhh!)
Our organization had an annual event called "Heritage Day" for current employees and retirees. You could bring your parent(s) if they were retirees. Awards were given. We had a senior employee who did a "roast" routine on current management. The Multimedia Department did an excellent job with a slide presentation with music, featuring photos taken of employees and finding older photos of retirees in attendance. A volunteer DJ played music after the formalities. Attendance was not mandatory unless you were receiving an award or were hosting your parent(s).

Also, I was President of a Social Activities Committee that was allowed to hold 4 "fun only" events per year. We had a Halloween party with costumes (optional) and pumpkin carving contests; an informal Christmas party with a Santa and Elves and grab bag; a St Patrick's Day social with a contest for the Engineers to make things that could fly or float using only office supplies and a Pie in the Face event (managers competed heavily to be designated as the victims); and a Summer Picnic with families invited and softball + volleyball + horseshoes + dunk tank + sack races + egg toss + TugO'War. We had games set up for the kids.
Our military committee members did all of the supply shopping, and both civilians and military w*rked side by side to plan and host these parties.
The CGOC hosted an annual Chili Cookoff and frequent Burger Burns, which my committee assisted with as needed.
My committee and the CGOC w*rked hard to make sure nobody felt pressured to attend and kept the atmosphere lighthearted (no speeches). The attendance at these events was fabulous until the repeated BRACCs of the 1990s took the wind out of our sails. So we held one more event and closed down the committee.
We continued to have informal Happy Hour format gatherings at local bars where music was being played and/or there were free snacks, but it just wasn't the same.