Join Early Retirement Today

Reasonably cheap utility trailer
Old 02-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Reasonably cheap utility trailer

Now that we're retired and have all those projects to do...

Home Depot is clearancing their 4x6 utility trailers for $399, marked down from $549. This may not be available in all stores, so your mileage may vary.

Its a 1 ton trailer, most parts rated for more than that, with a drop down ramp and a small 'fence' around the perimeter. It has the "pockets" to put in hardware to build-your-own wood sides. Class 2 hitch. Pretty heavy duty for what it is. Almost any vehicle can be equipped with a class 2 hitch, and unless you're going to put a ton of dirt or gravel on it, anything should pull it with a reasonable load.

I looked at a bunch of other similar products; the "harbor freight" type guys had some $215-250 foldable trailers without a ramp or bed, shipping put them close to $400 and they dont usually have a full bed or ramp. A couple of other stores had a basic frame, no ramp, no bed, 1 7/8ths ball instead of 2" ball hitch, sub 1000lb utilities for $299.

Closest I could come to a 4x6+ with a ramp and a bed and a class 2 hitch, 2000lb load limt, highway speed capable trailer was $499 and it didnt look as solid as this one. The bed on that one was just wire mesh, so no hauling dirt or gravel type stuff.

One thing I didnt care for was that they also snuck in a $30 "assembly fee" they didnt tell me about until the DMV paperwork was all done and it was being totalled up. I should have haggled for it at that point. Better than 50/50 shot the manager waives the fee rather than tearing up the dmv paperwork and having to get a fresh title. They didnt list it in the price or on the sign, although they did note the DMV fee...a little too "hidden" for my taste.

Small trailers like this are usually insurance covered by the towing vehicle, but check your local regs. The only other charge was a one-time $36 DMV fee to register it and get plates (CA).

This is small enough to tuck into a pretty small space. I can pick it up by the hitch and stand it on its ramp, so it only takes about a 3'x5' space. Big enough to haul a big screen tv, fridge, washer/dryer, or a bunch of stuff to the dump.

I still have to haul our dead 50" tv to the dump, a bunch of screen doors, and a ton of limbs and clippings from last years shrub clearing and tree trimming.

It'll also be nice to tell the appliance and furniture people for the next 10 years to stuff their $50 delivery fees and "we'll be there between 1 and 5" BS...

I'm reaping the rewards of buying your wife a high end luxury car. She wont say 'no' to anything you wanna buy for a while...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Reasonably cheap utility trailer
Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We had one of those Harbor Freight trailers. Free shipping when I bought it, but we probably spent $400 including a spare tire and lumber for the deck and rails. Lots of assembly work, probably two or three days worth. You're getting a good deal.
The folding part was really nice though, we'd use it to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood home and a pile of debris to the dump, then fold it up and tuck it away in a two foot by six foot corner of the garage.

SC
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Someone here a year or two ago mention one of those HF trailers in a thread on "what cool stuff have you bought that was really useful".

This trailer only weighs about 250-275lbs. I had to pick it up while the home depot guy read the VIN number off the bottom of it (nice placement fellas). It has a big mesh ramp, and the lights are recessed from the back so I'm pretty sure I could stand it up on its back end so it'd take up just about the same 3x5 or 3x6 space. Its just small enough for me to slip it next to the house around the side between the house and a tree...out of sight.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote