Join Early Retirement Today

Receiving Payments to me electronically
Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Receiving Payments to me electronically

So I know I can pay my bills electronically, but does anyone know of a way that I can receive a monthly payment electronically to my account from an individual- short of using Paypal?

We made a personal loan to a relative, and payments will start in January. Since we will be traveling, is there a way to have them make a payment to my account?? We use USBank if that helps.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the easiest way to do this is just give them deposit slips and have them mail in the deposit to your account.

Otherwise, your bank will have wire transfer instructions that they can take to their bank. I don't know if their bank would let them automate the wire transfer so it occurs every month.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Deposit slips works best. Can also have the check mailed to the bank made payable to "FBO Bizlady acct # 123456". It'll get there ... did this for years paying a loan.

Paypal's 4% fee is a good reason to work around them.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #4

I overlooked the obvious! Had thought about giving them deposit slips, but never thought about the check getting mailed straight to the bank rather than to us. Using FBO is also a good idea. Perfect solutions- thanks folks!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #5

Here in Canuckistan we I can use the banks on-line services to move money from our account to anyone dealing with that bank. I do this often to DW's account and when the kids were in school in another city with them also.

I believe I can use it with another bank's customers but have never tried.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I overlooked the obvious! Had thought about giving them deposit slips, but never thought about the check getting mailed straight to the bank rather than to us. Using FBO is also a good idea. Perfect solutions- thanks folks!
As Ed points out, you have a couple other choices that can make this even more foolproof easier for your payer. Our credit union puts a deposit hold on paper checks over a certain amount, but they happily (and immediately) credit electronic deposits. Depending on the mail and your bank, an electronic funds transfer (EFT) might be less hassle.

With your bank account number and your bank's routing transit number (RTN), your payer can have their bank automatically and electronically transfer the money to your account on the monthly due date. They only have to set it up once and then they just have to make sure that their account has sufficient funds at the due date to support the transfer. This is how we make our mortgage payment from my checking account to the mortgage bank.

Our tenants pay us via an automatic monthly electronic funds transfer which they set up through Online Banking | Online Resources. ORCC first mailed us a paper check with instructions on how to set up the EFT (again we gave them our account number and our credit union's RTN) and now the rent shows up in my checking account on the 1st of the month. I don't know if they pay ORCC for the privilege or if it's a "free" benefit of their brokerage account.

So our tenant's rent payment is automatically deposited in my checking account on the first of the month. On the fifth of the month, our home mortgage payment is sucked out of my checking account and sent to our mortgage bank. On the 10th, our rental's mortgage payment is sucked out of my checking account by our credit union. As long as the tenant's EFT doesn't "bounce", I can just sit there and watch the money fly around without doing a thing...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
What sort of extra protection does FBO provide?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #8

Not sure that FBO (For the Benefit Of) gives any protection, but making the check out to the bank, and adding the FBO makes it harder to cash a check if someone got it. Also should allow the bank to look up the account and make the deposint without adding our acc't #

Will checkout ORCC too- thanks for the lead...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #9

Another possibility would be for them to set up the payment as a direct deposit with their employer.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote