Recent Photo

Good grief no...I can't show my boots. Heaven only knows what WS would do to that pic! :eek:

:LOL:

Earlier I posted a picture of me trying to climb Borah Peak in 2009.

Here's a picture of me at the top in 2010.

2Cor521

I like the high-tech climbing gear: running shoes and jeans. I assume it was in the summer, right?

I'm not nearly as grumpy when holding my first grandchild!

Attachments

• Serena 1-6-10 023.jpg
    Serena 1-6-10 023.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 23
So, will that make you Grumpy Grampy OR Grampy Grumpy?

When Serena smiles at me I'm not grumpy at all. Hopefully she will only know me as Grandpa Dave. She will be growing up bilingual as her mom is Brazilian and speaks to her in Portuguese so I'm not sure what she will call me.

She will be growing up bilingual as her mom is Brazilian and speaks to her in Portuguese so I'm not sure what she will call me.

She'll probably know you as vovô (stress on the second syllable).

Your DW will be vovó (believe it or not, they are pronounced differently, although it's hard for an English speaker to pick up the difference).

When Serena smiles at me I'm not grumpy at all. Hopefully she will only know me as Grandpa Dave. She will be growing up bilingual as her mom is Brazilian and speaks to her in Portuguese so I'm not sure what she will call me.

If Brazilian is similar to Galician she might call you Avoó:) Which, by the way, sounds quite Grumpy!

I am sure Brau has it right, not me.

As your granddaughter learns Portuguese, one day she will sing "Manhã de Carnaval" for you in its original language.

This world-renowned song was the theme music in the 1959 film Orfeu Negro (Black Orpheus), and lyrics have been written for it in many different languages, but most do not keep the original meaning of the song.

I happened to find a rendition of it in Portuguese, along with an English lyrics that keeps close to the original (the singer switches to his English translation near the end).

YouTube - Manhã de Carnaval with Updated English Lyrics

As your granddaughter learns Portuguese, one day she will sing "Manhã de Carnaval" for you in its original language.

This world-renowned song was the theme music in the 1959 film Orfeu Negro (Black Orpheus), and lyrics have been written for it in many different languages, but most do not keep the original meaning of the song.

I happened to find a rendition of it in Portuguese, along with an English lyrics that keeps close to the original (the singer switches to his English translation near the end).

YouTube - Manhã de Carnaval with Updated English Lyrics

OH!!! I *LOVE* that song, NW-Bound. It intrigued me back in 1959 when I was just eleven, though I never saw the film and I never knew what it was called. Thank you for posting the link to it.

You are welcome! The movie is, what do I say, a bit "strange" though, but may be worth checking out from NetFlix if you have a subscription.

Again, this song is enjoyed world-wide. In the US, the popular version sung by many is entitled "A Day in the Life of a Fool", and this is what most Americans hear.

YouTube - Frank Sinatra - A Day in the Life of a Fool (1956)

Anyhow, thank you for pointing that out; I have a friend who might be climbing that same peak later this summer and I'll ask him to ensure that the flag, if it is still there, is treated appropriately.

Followup: I spoke to my friend and asked him to take care of the flag if he finds it there. The more he and I talked about it, the more we think that the other folks brought it up and most probably took it down as well.

I like the high-tech climbing gear: running shoes and jeans. I assume it was in the summer, right?

Yup, shoes and jeans. My climbing pole was a ski pole. It turns out I summited on 9/11 -- I didn't plan it that way but makes it easy to remember.

2Cor521

Followup: I spoke to my friend and asked him to take care of the flag if he finds it there. The more he and I talked about it, the more we think that the other folks brought it up and most probably took it down as well.

Yup, shoes and jeans. My climbing pole was a ski pole. It turns out I summited on 9/11 -- I didn't plan it that way but makes it easy to remember.

2Cor521

I loved your picture. So thoughtful of you to follow up on the flag. You're a good guy.

I think it's so wonderful when a child grows up bilingual. Hopefully, I will have a bilingual grandchild some day (Brazilian daddy) - my daughter was married this past weekend.

Congratulations Grumpy!!!

My daughter was married this past weekend. The wedding was held on this small balcony in our state capitol.

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 13
Congratulations ! Did you tear up ? When my daughter got married the only thing that stopped me from really tearing up was mascara .:)

We all had such a wonderful weekend. Well...I'll tell ya...about tearing up. No, since I couldn't hear anything that was being said...I did quite well with not tearing up. EXCEPT, one spot in the ceremony they all stopped and two beautiful bouquets of cream colored long stemmed roses were brought out. Again, since I couldn't hear anything didn't know what was going on until my daughter motioned me out and handed me the roses (husband-to-be handed the other bouquet to his mother). That's when I teared up. Someone took a picture of that moment, and my daughter was crying and I had the most dreadful looking face...but, it was a very nice gesture.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom