Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #681
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have a Charcot Joint ankle due to over 50 years of type 1 diabetes. I have been wearing that cast or one just like it for twenty years come this October. It's gotten to the point where I don't even see it in pictures anymore much less notice that I'm wearing it. As my mother used to say, "I'm eternally grateful" that it's not on my gas pedal foot! Wearing those casts has saved me from having my foot "amped" as they say in the FBI fingerprint database.

Mike D.
Wow. Well, it sounds like the brace has certainly kept you 'on your feet' (literally and figuratively!). I'm happy for you.

omni

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #682
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are revisiting our youth with a long vacation in England, renting a house in the town where we lived for 6 years. During 1984 there was a lot of stress in our lives and I would sometimes take a walk in the evenings up the hills behind the house, sit and watch the sun go down. Yesterday we took a walk and found the spot I used to go to for my stress reduction therapy.
Alan, good to hear from you, and glad you are enjoying your vacation in jolly old!

I know you're going to be there for a while, please keep the travelogue coming, so those of us here in the colonies can enjoy the UK spring and summer vicariously through your posts.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Alan, good to hear from you, and glad you are enjoying your vacation in jolly old!

I know you're going to be there for a while, please keep the travelogue coming, so those of us here in the colonies can enjoy the UK spring and summer vicariously through your posts.
Thanks WS. I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but I think I will start a thread in the travel forum as this trip is a bit different. I appreciate the nudge to action.

Here is the thread I started.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have a Charcot Joint ankle due to over 50 years of type 1 diabetes. I have been wearing that cast or one just like it for twenty years come this October. It's gotten to the point where I don't even see it in pictures anymore much less notice that I'm wearing it. As my mother used to say, "I'm eternally grateful" that it's not on my gas pedal foot! Wearing those casts has saved me from having my foot "amped" as they say in the FBI fingerprint database.

Mike D.

I wore one of those for a few months once, I was happy to get rid of it (actually, it's in the closet in case I ever need it again). Couldn't imagine a 20 yr stretch. But, like you said in your own case, I guess I could get used to it in time...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are revisiting our youth with a long vacation in England, renting a house in the town where we lived for 6 years. During 1984 there was a lot of stress in our lives and I would sometimes take a walk in the evenings up the hills behind the house, sit and watch the sun go down. Yesterday we took a walk and found the spot I used to go to for my stress reduction therapy.
Looks like a wonderful place to reduce stress (as long as you don't fall off the edge, which might have the opposite effect).

Please do post here from time to time with updates - fully agree with WS. It's quite calming looking at the pictures of the area where you are staying.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Looks like a wonderful place to reduce stress (as long as you don't fall off the edge, which might have the opposite effect).
Especially when it is windy, the falling off is a problem
Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #687

Goonie in Ormond Beach, FL last month enjoyin' the sun 'n' surf!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me in Ormond Beach FL Feb 2011.jpg (7.0 KB, 622 views)
Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #688
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
You sure do look like you are enjoying things!

Congratulations.

Ha
Old 03-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You sure do look like you are enjoying things!

Congratulations.

Ha
Oh, yeah!!! Life is GREAT!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #690

great photo Goonie
Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #691
Administrator

Quote:
Goonie!! Great to "see" you. Looks like Ormond Beach was lots of fun.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #692

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #693
Administrator

GregLee, nice to "see" you, too! Very nice photo.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #694

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
What is with the black hair and black mustache? Have you failed the test for graying hair!?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
What is with the black hair and black mustache? Have you failed the test for graying hair!?
I think it's a family trait. My Grandma didn't have a single gray hair on her head, and never colored or dyed her hair...she didn't believe in that sort of thing. Her Mother (my Great-grandma) was full-blood Cherokee, and also never had a gray hair (according to my Dad and Grandma). My Dad didn't start getting any gray hair until his late 60's, and by 74 he was mostly gray. My brother, who is 63, also has very little gray hair.

However, if I want to see gray hair, all I have to do is let my whiskers grow out again! There's a lot of gray there! I had a full beard...like a wild mountain man...for 23 years, and it had a lot of gray in it back when I sheared it off about 12 years ago.

BTW, it wasn't the gray that caused me to shear it off, it was on a bet. I was out for dinner with a bunch of friends, and one of them bet me that I wouldn't shave my beard off. The wager was food! So it was an instant loss for them! After dinner we left the restaurant and I drove straight home, got out my Raycine hair clippers, a pair of scissors, and dug out an old razor from the junk drawer, and sheared away 23 years of beard! I emailed a picture to my friend, but they swore that I'd photo-shopped it. So I got back in the car and drove 15 miles to there house so they could see the real deal. The dinner that they treated me to later was very nice!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #696

One patient told me recently I look "exactly like" Jonathan Frakes :

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #697

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
One patient told me recently I look "exactly like" Jonathan Frakes
Well you certainly look good even if you don't look like anybody else.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #698
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was looking for the thread of photos from the past but I can't find it. So here is a photo from the past- me and my two roomates freshman year in the LR of our dorm suite. I think it was between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I had lunch with the guy on the right earlier in the week and he gave it to me.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #699
Administrator

Wonderful photo, Ha! So young, handsome, and confident - - bet the three of you had some great fun and had a lot of women hanging around.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #700

May not keep this up long, but a photo of me tonight on my birthday (the cat is a chocolate point Balinese btw)