Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
She will be growing up bilingual as her mom is Brazilian and speaks to her in Portuguese so I'm not sure what she will call me.

She'll probably know you as vovô (stress on the second syllable).

Your DW will be vovó (believe it or not, they are pronounced differently, although it's hard for an English speaker to pick up the difference).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #662
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
When Serena smiles at me I'm not grumpy at all. Hopefully she will only know me as Grandpa Dave. She will be growing up bilingual as her mom is Brazilian and speaks to her in Portuguese so I'm not sure what she will call me.
If Brazilian is similar to Galician she might call you Avoó Which, by the way, sounds quite Grumpy!

I am sure Brau has it right, not me.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #663
Moderator Emeritus

I think it would be adorable if little Serena ended up calling you "Grumpy."
Old 03-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #664
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As your granddaughter learns Portuguese, one day she will sing "Manhã de Carnaval" for you in its original language.

This world-renowned song was the theme music in the 1959 film Orfeu Negro (Black Orpheus), and lyrics have been written for it in many different languages, but most do not keep the original meaning of the song.

I happened to find a rendition of it in Portuguese, along with an English lyrics that keeps close to the original (the singer switches to his English translation near the end).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #665
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As your granddaughter learns Portuguese, one day she will sing "Manhã de Carnaval" for you in its original language.

This world-renowned song was the theme music in the 1959 film Orfeu Negro (Black Orpheus), and lyrics have been written for it in many different languages, but most do not keep the original meaning of the song.

I happened to find a rendition of it in Portuguese, along with an English lyrics that keeps close to the original (the singer switches to his English translation near the end).

OH!!! I *LOVE* that song, NW-Bound. It intrigued me back in 1959 when I was just eleven, though I never saw the film and I never knew what it was called. Thank you for posting the link to it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #666
Give me a forum ...

You are welcome! The movie is, what do I say, a bit "strange" though, but may be worth checking out from NetFlix if you have a subscription.

Again, this song is enjoyed world-wide. In the US, the popular version sung by many is entitled "A Day in the Life of a Fool", and this is what most Americans hear.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #667
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Anyhow, thank you for pointing that out; I have a friend who might be climbing that same peak later this summer and I'll ask him to ensure that the flag, if it is still there, is treated appropriately.
Followup: I spoke to my friend and asked him to take care of the flag if he finds it there. The more he and I talked about it, the more we think that the other folks brought it up and most probably took it down as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I like the high-tech climbing gear: running shoes and jeans. I assume it was in the summer, right?
Yup, shoes and jeans. My climbing pole was a ski pole. It turns out I summited on 9/11 -- I didn't plan it that way but makes it easy to remember.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #668
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Followup: I spoke to my friend and asked him to take care of the flag if he finds it there. The more he and I talked about it, the more we think that the other folks brought it up and most probably took it down as well.

Yup, shoes and jeans. My climbing pole was a ski pole. It turns out I summited on 9/11 -- I didn't plan it that way but makes it easy to remember.

2Cor521
I loved your picture. So thoughtful of you to follow up on the flag. You're a good guy.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #669

Quote:
When Serena smiles at me I'm not grumpy at all. Hopefully she will only know me as Grandpa Dave. She will be growing up bilingual as her mom is Brazilian and speaks to her in Portuguese so I'm not sure what she will call me.
I think it's so wonderful when a child grows up bilingual. Hopefully, I will have a bilingual grandchild some day (Brazilian daddy) - my daughter was married this past weekend.

Congratulations Grumpy!!!
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #670

My daughter was married this past weekend. The wedding was held on this small balcony in our state capitol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (635.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0750.jpg (579.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #671
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
My daughter was married this past weekend. The wedding was held on this small balcony in our state capitol.
Congratulations to all of you! Looks like she had a wonderful ceremony in a memorable setting.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #672
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Congratulations ! Did you tear up ? When my daughter got married the only thing that stopped me from really tearing up was mascara .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #673
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I'm not nearly as grumpy when holding my first grandchild!
Very cute baby enjoy !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Isn't she lovely!!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations ! Did you tear up ? When my daughter got married the only thing that stopped me from really tearing up was mascara .
We all had such a wonderful weekend. Well...I'll tell ya...about tearing up. No, since I couldn't hear anything that was being said...I did quite well with not tearing up. EXCEPT, one spot in the ceremony they all stopped and two beautiful bouquets of cream colored long stemmed roses were brought out. Again, since I couldn't hear anything didn't know what was going on until my daughter motioned me out and handed me the roses (husband-to-be handed the other bouquet to his mother). That's when I teared up. Someone took a picture of that moment, and my daughter was crying and I had the most dreadful looking face...but, it was a very nice gesture.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #676
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's me with my friend Thomas Alva Edison at his winter place in Ft Myers, Fl last week. We are standing in front of the largest Banyan tree in the US.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MikeAndEdison.jpg (81.4 KB, 25 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Here's me with my friend Thomas Alva Edison at his winter place in Ft Myers, Fl last week. We are standing in front of the largest Banyan tree in the US.

Mike D.
MD,

Looks like you might be needing that cane more than Mr. Edison. What happened to your foot?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #678
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a Charcot Joint ankle due to over 50 years of type 1 diabetes. I have been wearing that cast or one just like it for twenty years come this October. It's gotten to the point where I don't even see it in pictures anymore much less notice that I'm wearing it. As my mother used to say, "I'm eternally grateful" that it's not on my gas pedal foot! Wearing those casts has saved me from having my foot "amped" as they say in the FBI fingerprint database.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Mike D
Well, hi there Mike...it's great to see you!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #680
Administrator

We are revisiting our youth with a long vacation in England, renting a house in the town where we lived for 6 years. During 1984 there was a lot of stress in our lives and I would sometimes take a walk in the evenings up the hills behind the house, sit and watch the sun go down. Yesterday we took a walk and found the spot I used to go to for my stress reduction therapy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guisborough walk - Hanging Stone Alan at top.jpg (555.2 KB, 58 views)