Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Don't you ever just buy something cuz it looks good cfb?
I bought 3 shop vac's in the last 24 hours and returned one because I didnt like the way it looks. Does that count?

Actually the food thing is pretty simple. I learned early on that if you invite a woman over, pour her a glass of wine and let her sit and listen to good music while you light something in a pan on fire in an impressive manner, that frequently her pants fall off.

I cant dance for beans and i'm not a cute old man like Ha, so I had to go with what worked for me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We also found that you can buy the tougher grades of meat, and after spending an afternoon in the crockpot, it is as tender as anything. It seems to be the long-simmering that breaks down the fibers, tenderizes it.
Plus more flavor in the simmering juices. Great for stews.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The model similar to mine, the Rival SCR500 is $24.99 with free shipping at amazon. You'll have to throw something else in to get it over $25.00 to get the free shipping though...
$24.99 for a crock pot~!!! Yowza! How is that LBYM?

A 4 quart shouldn't run any more than $19.99 and this is the prime time for buying them. I have a bigger one and use my 4 quart more often as it really is the right size for just about every thing.

--Rita
Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but thats shipped free and no tax. At the local rate of about 8%, that tax thing is a big deal for us!

Plus its cheap entertainment. My USPS delivery guy is whiny and I dont like him much, and I have a huge long steep driveway. I already changed out my mailbox so anything larger than a deck of cards has to be brought up to my door.

The bonus is that Ted sees him coming up the driveway and waits until he gets to the door to bounce off the glass next to it, barking ferociously.

Small pleasures...small pleasures...

The other thing thats nice about this one that you dont often get with the el cheapo models is a glass lid. A lot of the cheaper ones have a plastic lid and that just doesnt hold in the heat as well.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:04 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

we bought a rival, it was crap. the lid fit so poorly that all the liquid would escape burning the food. we returned it and got a hamilton beach and it works great.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

One recommendation is to brown the meat and sautee things like onions and garlic before placing in the crockpot. I put in tomato and/or tomato sauce for 3/4 of the stuff I cook in the crock pot, and cheap red wine is almost alway a good addition.

I also love the smell of a crock pot simmering.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The five quick recipes that we use frequently:

Brown stew meat on a hot skillet, then put it in the crockpot with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup. Cook all day.

Same as above, but with pork chops.

Put whole chicken in, cook all day.

Brown pork roast in skillet, put in crockpot, cover with water, add onions, carrots, celery, salt, garlic, etc. Cook all day.

Brown boneless chicken pieces, put in crockpot, add spaghetti sauce, cook all day, serve on angel hair pasta.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Crock pot coq au vin.

Good because it has bacon and TWO kinds of booze in it.

6 slices bacon
1 chicken (2 1/2 to 3 lbs) cut into 8 pieces
1/4 C cognac
12 pearl onions, peeled (frozen OK)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock
1 C dry red wine

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to drain but reserve the bacon fat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides in reserved bacon grease. After chicken has browned, pour cognac over it and ignite with a match. Note: Use extreme caution when igniting alcohol -- stand back and always have proper fire safety precautions handy. Mover the skillet back and forth a few times until the flames die. [Note: you can also just turn the blower fan on and let that evacuate the alcohol vapors and not light it on fire at all, unless you're going for the drama]

Put onion, garlic and mushrooms in slow cooker. Add chicken, bacon and any leftover juices from the skillet. Mix remaining ingredients except wine and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Turn heat to HIGH and add wine. Cook for an additional hour. Serve over rice or potatoes.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Plus its cheap entertainment. My USPS delivery guy is whiny and I dont like him much, and I have a huge long steep driveway. I already changed out my mailbox so anything larger than a deck of cards has to be brought up to my door.

The bonus is that Ted sees him coming up the driveway and waits until he gets to the door to bounce off the glass next to it, barking ferociously.
OH, I get it. A kitchen appliance and entertainment too! Cheaper than a movie and you get to influence the plot!

-- Rita
Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Oh yes!!!

It was a game when he kept leaving notes in my mailbox complaining that trash cans and cars parked 10' away were "impeding his approach to the mailbox" (god help he has to step out of the truck to put mail in my box), but it was definitely on when I ordered the 65lb air compressor and he claimed I wasnt home (when I was) and left a tag in the box for me to come to the post office and pick it up.

So this month when I know he's busy...I've ordered lots and lots of stuff from amazon every day or two, with enough split shipments to make sure he has to hoof at least one box up the driveway and then around the equally steep walkway to the front door...darn near every day.

I got a small potholder yesterday, and Gabe will be getting a matchbox car tomorrow or the next day!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Another interesting approach that I've done in the oven but want to modify for the crock pot is a dry 'roast' chicken. Brown the chicken on all sides in a skillet, then putting it into the crock pot for about 7 hours on low...no liquids or other ingredients. Not for the crispy skin folks, but it produces an intensely flavored, very moist bird.
I make whole chicken in the crock pot alot. I separate the skin from the meat and put seasoning in between. We like rosemary/garlic or lemon pepper. Also sprinkle the spices in the cavity. Cut up an onion or two and lay it around the bottom of the crock pot. Set the raw chicken on top of onion and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Ummmmmm!

2fer
Old 12-17-2007, 07:37 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I just bought DW a Hamilton Beach 3 in one for X-mas. It has 3 stoneware pots of different sizes........

I think it was $39.00 or so.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I just bought DW a Hamilton Beach 3 in one for X-mas. It has 3 stoneware pots of different sizes........

I think it was $39.00 or so.......
I trust this isn't the only gift for the DW.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Um...no...but she wanted this particular model. Hopefully she's NOT looking to slow-cook ME in it............

I always get her something she would never buy or ask for in a milion years........it helps to have a buddy that is a jewelry wholesaler..........he makes a LOT of money just selling to the jewelry stores, and then they add their markup.........

Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Or it may be the last!

#1 rule - appliances are NOT gifts for a wife (unless asked for)

- ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

FD...you better head to the jewelry store ASAP.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
FD...you better head to the jewelry store ASAP.
Covered........got a diamond pendant on a 24K gold chain..........it doesn't sound like LBYM, but I put it in the Quicken expense item called: "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"..............

Old 12-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually the food thing is pretty simple. I learned early on that if you invite a woman over, pour her a glass of wine and let her sit and listen to good music while you light something in a pan on fire in an impressive manner, that frequently her pants fall off.
ROTFLMAO!!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
it doesn't sound like LBYM
Neither does a divorce...
Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Hello need some input looking to buy a new crock pot (slow cooker). All th ones I see are to big 4 to 8 quart. I am cooking for one and sometimes two. Looking for 2 quart and have the programmable features or at least one that when the timer setting is met that it will go into keep warm mode.

Any suggestions or experences

Thank You

Just saw an add for a Proctor-Silex 1.5 quart with removable crock liner for $8.99!

At that price it wouldn't pay to drive around searching garage sales for one. How wrong could you go with something like that at that price..