Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The hard part comes with labelling the documents so you can find them later. Typically you won't be using optical character recognition, so you can't look into the document.
I scan everything I can. I have created a folder called Archives and then have subject folders for things like Auto, House Maintenance and Repairs, Medical and so on. Then when I scan a document I give it a description name. So a receipt might be Vendor 8-2010 (filling in name of vendor).

And using Windows 7 I can do a search and if you have that in the name it will call up the document very quickly even without my going to the specific folder. For example, I needed to find the survey on the land we own earlier so I just did a search for survey and it turned right up.

BTW, lots of instructions, manuals and things like that need not be scanned in as you can find pdfs of them on the internet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks again for all of the great tips. I'll let you guys know what I end up buying.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

If you think the ScanSnap wouldn't look luxurious enough in your private castle with golden doorknobs, this may change your mind:
Special edition Fujitsu ScanSnap with Urushi lacquer coating and gold embellishments
Old 09-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have the Scan Snap similar to one in video. Mine is the Scan Snap S510. I love it and would be lost without it.
It has a sheet feeder which is important, and it is VERY fast.
I no longer keep paper files, except some very important documents. Everything is scanned into a virtual digital file cabinet system. Everything at my finger tips when I need it.

Only have to make sure you make frequent backups, which I do. I am thinking of signing up for some on line backup as well as an extra precaution. A little on the pricey side, but I tried a cheaper one before this one, and sorry I spent money on the first one.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you think the ScanSnap wouldn't look luxurious enough in your private castle with golden doorknobs, this may change your mind
If I had a custom one to match my house and especially my office, I would need kind of the opposite of that.

I have to finish some tax work this week but checking out scanners is a next priority. Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread for all of the great advice.

I am looking forward to being at least a little more clutter free in the near future. Last year I put all of the the bill, bank and charge statements I could online and that was one of the best things I ever did. It has made it so much easier to do tax work not having to sort through paper files.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been searching for a good OCR package. Have not found one yet that can do what I want.

It needs to be able to deal with formulas with Greek letters and mathematical symbols. Either recognize and turn them into characters or treat them as pictures.

Of course, it should turn them into pdf files.

Any suggestions?
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I have been searching for a good OCR package. Have not found one yet that can do what I want.
Have you looked at this one?

ABBYY FineReader - award-winning OCR software for text recognition and document conversion
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and I just joined the 21st century and got a Lexmark 4600 wireless printer/copier/scanner. It's wireless, which is very nice, since our main computer is the laptop these days, which is usually on most of the day (our old desktop is sitting downstairs in the developed basement but it was such a pain to logon just to print something off).

We've only had it for a month or so but so far, so good. Got an awesome deal on it ($60) and it scans two sided docs, scans to pdf, etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
DH and I just joined the 21st century and got a Lexmark 4600 wireless printer/copier/scanner. It's wireless, which is very nice, ...
Yeah, wireless is the only way to go. Particularly if you have it in a RV. Ours is this model:

Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MP560 Wireless Inkjet All-In-One Photo Printer (3747B002): Electronics
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Thanks, Ron,

Actually, I own an older version of it. I figured it was the best at the time. Had problems learning how to use it for my purposes and put it away for the time being. I followed the trail here and it seems that it is easier to use now. I may buy the new one and try again.

Cheers,

Ed

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote