Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I've never met a toaster oven I trusted. Fire hazard!!!!
I invested in a convection/microwave/exhaust combo from GE at least 10 years ago. It was pricey but it still runs and I never burned my hands using it. It sits nicely above the stove in the exhaust hood opening.
Like you, I am one of those who does not use a toaster oven. There is always the potential fire hazard, which worries me, too. But more than that, it is just one more appliance on the countertop and I really don't have the room for it.

I do unplug all of my countertop appliances when not in use, except for the microwave.

I have a toaster, an oven, and a microwave to perform the functions of a toaster oven, if needed.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sue J: In the meantime can you put a switch between the toaster and the wall plug and just manually turn the switch off when not in use (without having to unplug it)? I found some at Big Lots and they are pretty simple but we use them to turn off things like the charger for the Cell Phone or the power supply to the Notebook when they are not in use to eliminate the small drain of electricity. In our case we did it to eliminate pulling the plugs and then having to reinsert them in inconvenient locations (the switch is much easier to use).

Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Sue J: In the meantime can you put a switch between the toaster and the wall plug and just manually turn the switch off when not in use (without having to unplug it)? I found some at Big Lots and they are pretty simple but we use them to turn off things like the charger for the Cell Phone or the power supply to the Notebook when they are not in use to eliminate the small drain of electricity. In our case we did it to eliminate pulling the plugs and then having to reinsert them in inconvenient locations (the switch is much easier to use).
Yes, the power strip I plugged it into has an on/off switch, so we're now turning off the power when it's not in use.

Our house is from 1955 and most of the kitchen is original. We had to add some new outlets and new circuits after we moved in in 1983 because the entire kitchen was on 2 circuits and one of those powered the outlets for the refrigerator, microwave, toaster and TV. If we used the microwave and toaster at the same time we would blow a fuse. Or if we added an electric frying pan or coffee maker it would blow.

In 1993 we added whole house air conditioning and had the city increase our capacity. We had an electrician change the fuse box to circuit breakers. So the kitchen now has 4 circuits. But the old original outlets all seem to be in the wrong places. They end up hidden behind the things we use all the time. The switch for the exhaust fan is behind the microwave so to turn on the fan you have to use a long wooden spoon.

Someday........we'll redo the kitchen. We've been busy paying for college.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I searched pretty hard for one I liked and ended up with a DeLonghi.
I like the tempered glass door (with no cheesy tin surrounding it), the
fact that the controls are not affected by opening the door, and the
digital controls (which make it is to reproduce certain cooking
procedures, like the setting that gets your toast just right).

They say Black&Decker stuff sets your house on fire ...
Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #25

They still make those?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently purchased a toaster oven after reading many reviews online. Many toaster ovens had horrible reviews and I wondered if I even wanted one after reading them. The one I ended up buying was the Black and Decker convection toaster oven TRO4070 at Walmart for about $38. It actually had pretty good reviews and so far I like it.

Walmart.com: Black & Decker - Toast-R-Oven TRO4070: Appliances
Old 05-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #27

UPDATE!!

We had been using the Cuisinart toaster oven on it's surge protector/power strip since I posted. A few weeks ago the Bake setting stopped working, not that big of a deal as we mostly used the thing for toasting. Then Thursday I was making toast and never heard the chime go off telling me it was done. I looked at the surge protector/power strip and, silly me, I realized I must not have turned the power on. So I turned on the power and hit the toast button again. After it toasted for a while I heard a click and the surge protector had tripped instead of the "toast done" chime. This was obviously not a good sign! Thursday is our trash night so our toaster oven/accidental fire waiting to happen went directly into the trash.

On Friday I toasted a blueberry bagel in a frying pan on the stove and then went to Target after work and bought a simple Black and Decker TRO490W. On sale for $24.99. It will be a disposable appliance, the first time it has any kind of glitch it will be replaced. It's still on the surge protector/power strip and everyone here is trained to turn off the power when not in use.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #28

I have this one Stootsi Store : Cuisinart TOB-195 Convection Toaster Oven Cuisinart TOB-195

I used to go with the cheapies at targey or costco but am totally a convert. This one is bigger, but that means you can cook a decent sized personal pizza. It says you can cook a whole chicken, but haven't tried that either. There's a convection setting, regular toast, regular oven and pizza settings. We hardly use the oven now and use the microwave a lot less too.

It toasts to perfection.

Many of the larger, typically expensive items are on sale now so that's another reason I went for it, when i got it i think i got at least 50% off...