Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a large bamboo cutting board that has been in service for a few years now. After food prep of any kind I wash with soap and water and towel dry off. I tried plastic (just didn't seem right, noisy, and nasty looking after awhile) and wood (eventually they split even when dried and oiled) and neither were as good as the bamboo. My 2 cents.

Cheers!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far. I ran across this last night and was wondering if anyone has a board made out of this material which is the same stuff they make roller skating rinks out of (how novel)?

Eco Friendly Cutting Boards Made in the USA by Epicurean Cutting Surfaces

"EpicureanŽsets the standard for today's well-equipped kitchen with premier cutting surfaces and essential utensils. Since 2003, we have revolutionized the kitchenware market by developing an array of wood-based products that range from dishwasher-safe cutting boards to stylish food preparation tools and advanced kitchen storage solutions.

Our signature material is made with multiple layers of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood fibers,compressed with a food-safe resin.

We also have introduced a line of Eco Plastic products that utilizes 100% post-consumer recycled milk jugs. All of our products are made in the USA.

Environmentally friendly and durable materials, innovative designs, and superb craftsmanship ensure they will last through years of rigorous daily kitchen use!

What do skateboarders and foodies have in common? They're both cutting it up on the same durable material. In 2003, EpicureanŽ was founded by custom skate park manufacturer TrueRideŽ as a way to repurpose excess skating surface material generated during manufacturing."
I tried something that looks identical, also marketed as "eco" and it started delaminating/peeling right away!

Old 12-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I tried something that looks identical, also marketed as "eco" and it started delaminating/peeling right away!
I didn't realize when I started this thread the variety of comments and suggestions over this board. It's darn near as hard as picking a mutual fund.

I'll probably look for a end grain hardwood board, knowing that it costs too much for the use it will get. Kind of like buying a new BMW after you retire..
Old 12-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't say that I can offer anything useful but here is my story about cutting boards. I bought a wooden one in the mid-1980s when I got my own apartment to live on my own. In 2002 it split apart after 16 years of faithful service. My dad, 71-years-old at the time, and very good at woodworking, made me a replacement one. It was custom made, of course, with length, width, and height done to my liking. The handle was also designed to my liking. Eleven years later it is still doing well with no signs of decay.

I remember using a plastic one for a little while before I bought that first one and I never liked it because the food sometimes slid off!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I can't say that I can offer anything useful but here is my story about cutting boards. I bought a wooden one in the mid-1980s when I got my own apartment to live on my own. In 2002 it split apart after 16 years of faithful service. My dad, 71-years-old at the time, and very good at woodworking, made me a replacement one. It was custom made, of course, with length, width, and height done to my liking. The handle was also designed to my liking. Eleven years later it is still doing well with no signs of decay.

I remember using a plastic one for a little while before I bought that first one and I never liked it because the food sometimes slid off!
Thanks, discussing this with the DW, the sliding of the food is a concern of hers too. Wood is the way to go, it seems.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hate it when boards slide around when I am using them - dangerous too. I'll be getting one of the OXO good grip plastic ones. Our wooden cutting board has low profile rubber feet that keep it from sliding around.

I find that cooks illustrated has good recommendations, but is a pay site. This link talks about their selections
The Best Cutting Board Material Cooks Illustrated | Apartment Therapy
Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Finally got through with the research. Next time I buy a car, I'm going to put in this much time too.

Proteak board:

Wood Cutting Boards | Edge Grain Octagon Cutting Board

Shipped plus sales tax is $99.00. A bit much, I know, but DW will be happy, I hope.

Thanks for all the replies and great suggestions!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

aja8888,

Very nice looking piece. Love how they incorporated the sap wood in the photo, nice touch.

MRG
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #29

I've used plastic for years. Some are too thin/soft and warp. But those that are thick/stiff enough work great and I love just sliding them in the dishwasher. I use one for meat and one for veg each time I cook.

That said, I checked out some of the links posted here and there are some beautiful pieces that I might put on my wish list.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I took some cooking workshops with a professional chef and learnt that the best way to keep your board from sliding around on the counter is to put a sheet of paper towel under it. It works whether it is dry or damp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk