Join Early Retirement Today

Recommendation for a cutting board
Old 12-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Recommendation for a cutting board

After a great Christmas day and kitchen cleanup this evening, DW said her cutting board had split. Now this is a 25 year old wooden 18" x 13" hardwood board that has seen many outings and washings.

Looking closely at it, the construction appears to be made from 1" X 1" X 18" hardwood strips, probably glued under pressure and made to form a board. It split about in the center, but has not completely failed the entire length. However, it is does not appear to be easily repairable and probably not worth the effort to try.

So I know very little about cutting boards....... and after some brief research on the net, come to the conclusion that there are various opinions on wood vs synthetic and bacteria retention after use. As a matter of fact, there appears to be much confusion on this subject.

We cut cooked meats on this board. We have one smaller board for veggies.

From your collective experience, I would like to hear what type of cutting board seems to be the best solution for cutting cooked meats on (small turkeys, brisket, ham, etc.).

Bear in mind, we have never oiled the current hardwood board and just wash it well and let it air dry. To our knowledge, no one who dined here has become ill (or worse) from eating the cuttings off this board after 25+ years of use.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
After a great Christmas day and kitchen cleanup this evening, DW said her cutting board had split. Now this is a 25 year old wooden 18" x 13" hardwood board that has seen many outings and washings.

Looking closely at it, the construction appears to be made from 1" X 1" X 18" hardwood strips, probably glued under pressure and made to form a board. It split about in the center, but has not completely failed the entire length. However, it is does not appear to be easily repairable and probably not worth the effort to try.

So I know very little about cutting boards....... and after some brief research on the net, come to the conclusion that there are various opinions on wood vs synthetic and bacteria retention after use. As a matter of fact, there appears to be much confusion on this subject.

We cut cooked meats on this board. We have one smaller board for veggies.

From your collective experience, I would like to hear what type of cutting board seems to be the best solution for cutting cooked meats on (small turkeys, brisket, ham, etc.).

Bear in mind, we have never oiled the current hardwood board and just wash it well and let it air dry. To our knowledge, no one who dined here has become ill (or worse) from eating the cuttings off this board after 25+ years of use.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.
Well I hope I can attach the one we use. It's a piece of American Black Walnut (Juglans Nigra) that my DB and I sawed. It's the first piece past the slab. It would be very difficult to find someone to sell you this scrap.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_nigra

ForumRunner_20131225_215120.png

Think my attachments are coming out 90 degrees off. In any case, here's where I would purchase a maple cutting board from:
http://www.vermontbutcherblock.com/c...cutting-boards

The germs be d*mm*d.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Well I hope I can attach the one we use. It's a piece of American Black Walnut (Juglans Nigra) that my DB and I sawed. It's the first piece past the slab. It would be very difficult to find someone to sell you this scrap.
Juglans nigra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachment 17783

Think my attachments are coming out 90 degrees off. In any case, here's where I would purchase a maple cutting board from:
Edge Grain Cutting Boards | Vermont Butcher Block

The germs be d*mm*d.

MRG
MRG: Thanks! Those Vermont maple boards are quite nice. I'll see what DW thinks tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Plastic boards are cheap and can be sanitized in a dishwasher.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
That's what we use.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
Same here.

I only use wooden blocks for vegetables. And I like the Boos Blocks with edge grain. Just wipe those with damp then dry paper towel and oil occasionally. I never let my wooden boards air dry.

This is what I currently use, but only for vegetables, and i am very carful with wiping clean, drying, and oiling. Amazon.com: Architec Gripperwood Endgrain Acacia Cutting Board, 13 by 13-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #7

Just a few quick thoughts:

On a big board, it's really important to have the "blood groove" that collects the juice from the meat and doesn't let it spill onto the counter.

Boos brand has some good models.

Bamboo is supposedly the best (very hard) but I've never seen a big bamboo cutting board that had the blood groove.

Wood is far more sanitary than plastic, due to the natural antimicrobial content of the wood.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We have a nice wooden cutting board, but we rarely use it. Same with marble, bamboo and hard plastics - we have them all. We use the thin flexible plastic cutting boards because they are cheap, easy to clean, dishwasher safe, non-porous (no bacteria) AND mostly for their flexibility makes it easier to handle chopped veggies/fruits/nuts etc. After chopping, you just curl the board into a "U" shape and slide the ingredient(s) directly into the pot/pan you're working with. Saw it on TV, great feature for cooking IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dralla-bendable-chopping-board__0171935_PE304645_S4.JPG (60.0 KB, 10 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't say how they work, but I've been perusing this site: Cutting Boards, Kitchen Accessories, Magnetic Knife Holders, Cooking Utensils - All Products - Epicurean Cutting Surfaces

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just a few quick thoughts:

On a big board, it's really important to have the "blood groove" that collects the juice from the meat and doesn't let it spill onto the counter.

Boos brand has some good models.

Bamboo is supposedly the best (very hard) but I've never seen a big bamboo cutting board that had the blood groove.

Wood is far more sanitary than plastic, due to the natural antimicrobial content of the wood.
I have been using Williams-Sonoma flexible plastic cutting boards and I realized today that I hate them . I have very sharp knives but they cannot cut all the way through as the very slight textures on the plastic surface keep them from going all the way through. Chopping sundried tomatoes was not fun. We pitched our old wooden ones during a recent kitchen remodel but I think I am going to pick up a couple more. I won't worry about the stray microbe that might or might not lurk after a little lemon juice with bleach water cleaning.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have been using Williams-Sonoma flexible plastic cutting boards and I realized today that I hate them . I have very sharp knives but they cannot cut all the way through as the very slight textures on the plastic surface keep them from going all the way through. Chopping sundried tomatoes was not fun. We pitched our old wooden ones during a recent kitchen remodel but I think I am going to pick up a couple more. I won't worry about the stray microbe that might or might not lurk after a little lemon juice with bleach water cleaning.
Not to change your mind, but we learned that lesson the hard way too. We had some plastic cutting boards that had a pattern on the surface, and it seemed to make it harder to cut through. So we buy cheapo flexible plastic cutting boards with smooth surfaces, problem solved. Again, we like them mostly for how they make adding ingredients so easy. YMMV

Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I bought a round 17" wood cutting board just after getting out of the Army in 1970, when I moved into an apartment. The cutting board is still in use by DW on a daily bases. Clueless as to what wood it is made of. Only mod I made was to insert a screw hook maybe 20 years ago, to be able to hang it.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We use both wood and plastic. I prefer wood myself but the plastic is fine too.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far. I ran across this last night and was wondering if anyone has a board made out of this material which is the same stuff they make roller skating rinks out of (how novel)?

Eco Friendly Cutting Boards Made in the USA by Epicurean Cutting Surfaces

"EpicureanŽsets the standard for today's well-equipped kitchen with premier cutting surfaces and essential utensils. Since 2003, we have revolutionized the kitchenware market by developing an array of wood-based products that range from dishwasher-safe cutting boards to stylish food preparation tools and advanced kitchen storage solutions.

Our signature material is made with multiple layers of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood fibers,compressed with a food-safe resin.

We also have introduced a line of Eco Plastic products that utilizes 100% post-consumer recycled milk jugs. All of our products are made in the USA.

Environmentally friendly and durable materials, innovative designs, and superb craftsmanship ensure they will last through years of rigorous daily kitchen use!

What do skateboarders and foodies have in common? They're both cutting it up on the same durable material. In 2003, EpicureanŽ was founded by custom skate park manufacturer TrueRideŽ as a way to repurpose excess skating surface material generated during manufacturing."
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the wood composite boards. I like them because you can throw them in the dishwasher and "sanitize." Actually my wife likes that feature. They are just fine for cutting on and they haven't messed up my knife blades. I would buy again.
Papa bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've seen them in stores, and they look well made. But IF eco is the appeal, they're being a little little generous using the "eco" term so liberally (ie, marketing). They use recycled wood and paper, a good thing. They also recycle HDPE, better than putting milk jugs directly into landfills, but reducing virgin HDPE (and LDPE) production would be far better. By combining wood, paper, plastic, dyes and/or HDPE - they're basically making in impossible to recycle again, some irony there. Eco?

Not sure what food safe resin might be, but it's probably not an actual biodegradable plastic or you'd think they'd market it. Just seems a little disingenuous to go on an on with "eco" and FSC in combination with resins and plastics that may take 500 years to degrade.

Just buying an (FSC) wood or bamboo cutting board might be environmentally preferable (more "eco"). http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...rd-better.html

Eco-chic remains alive and well out there...like new-improved, low-fat, natural, etc. - sometimes misleading.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I would go with a wood cutting board - a tight grained wood like maple or cherry. Not oak. Salad bowl finish or mineral oil Here's a lot of ideas for wooden ones http://lumberjocks.com/projects/tag/cutting+board
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far. I ran across this last night and was wondering if anyone has a board made out of this material which is the same stuff they make roller skating rinks out of (how novel)?

Eco Friendly Cutting Boards Made in the USA by Epicurean Cutting Surfaces

"EpicureanŽsets the standard for today's well-equipped kitchen with premier cutting surfaces and essential utensils. Since 2003, we have revolutionized the kitchenware market by developing an array of wood-based products that range from dishwasher-safe cutting boards to stylish food preparation tools and advanced kitchen storage solutions.

Our signature material is made with multiple layers of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood fibers,compressed with a food-safe resin.

We also have introduced a line of Eco Plastic products that utilizes 100% post-consumer recycled milk jugs. All of our products are made in the USA.

Environmentally friendly and durable materials, innovative designs, and superb craftsmanship ensure they will last through years of rigorous daily kitchen use!

What do skateboarders and foodies have in common? They're both cutting it up on the same durable material. In 2003, EpicureanŽ was founded by custom skate park manufacturer TrueRideŽ as a way to repurpose excess skating surface material generated during manufacturing."
I use these at my sons place. I also have a small one that I carry in my pack to cut things like raw sashimi tuna when I am out. I just shove it into a baggie when I finish and wash it when I get home.

They seem very good. Only thing I don't like is that they lack the attractive natural look of well made wood boards. And they are not cheap.

My favorite for home kitchen is a big bamboo board I bought from Wal-Mart about 10 years ago. It functions well, has tight grain and apparently secure gluing, and I just like to use it.

Ha
Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
By combining wood, paper, plastic, dyes and/or HDPE - they're basically making in impossible to recycle again, some irony there. Eco?
I'll bet these can qualify for trash-to-fuel for end-of-life re-use.

Lots of flammable liquid products end up becoming boiler fuel at a point in time.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Just buying an (FSC) wood or bamboo cutting board might be environmentally preferable (more "eco"). Debate Over Wooden or Plastic Cutting Boards Ends Here | organicauthority.com - Organic Living
Thanks! read the study. Wood wins.

"UC Davis Food Laboratory conducted a rare independent study comparing the two cutting boards, and the verdict is out: wooden cutting boards are better. Even the oldest wooden cutting boards still performed as well as new, and they cleaned just as easily. Old plastic boards, on the other hand, were impossible to get all the bacteria out of, and the bacteria persisted on the surface."

I guess I will shop for a good maple or bamboo board.