Join Early Retirement Today

Recommendation for Nikon DSL
Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recommendation for Nikon DSL

OK... the wife wants a nice DSL camera... and since I have an old film Nikon I have a few nice lenses already in hand...

So, any recommendations on a nice one that does not break the bank

I have just started to look, and like the D60 or the D5000...

From what I read on one post... these models do not do the AF on the old lenses... you have to do manually... if this is true... not a good deal...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I bought a D90 about a year ago and I love it. The D5000 finished second in my selection process only because the D90 had a few better features that I was willing to pay for. Both can produce outstanding results.

But you have to decide what features you want and how much you want to spend. There are few if any bad choices among Nikon (or Canon for that matter) DSL's IMO.

I'd recommend B&H as one of the best places to buy at good prices online. You can find lower prices, but there are a startling number of camera scammer merchants on the internet so don't be fooled. If it looks too good to be true...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

TP, Consumer Reports just did a review of digital cameras and of the 12 SLR "advanced" cameras they reviewed, the Nikon D5000 was rated a "Best Buy" (along with three others). They also reviewed the D3000, which finished last.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Here's another vote for the D90. I bought mine about 8 months ago, and I can't get over how much more user-friendly it is than previous Nikons I've owned (my original Nikon F (film) and 3 or 4 digitals).

The D90 is really right square in the middle. It's intuitive and easy to use for the casual user, yet it has most of the bells and whistles a pro would want.

One suggestion: if you're going to spend the money for a good camera, go for good lenses. I've been ecstatically happy with mine, and I strongly encourage the use of Nikon's VR (vibration reduction) lenses that compensate for hand tremors while shooting.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Well.... doing a bit more research and it appears the lower priced models do not work with the old AF lenses... they use AF-S lenses...

It looks like the D-90 is the lowest that will auto focus with the plain AF lenses... so, unless I want to buy more lenses... I spend the money on the D-90... still trying to decide... will take a few months
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
TP, Consumer Reports just did a review of digital cameras and of the 12 SLR "advanced" cameras they reviewed, the Nikon D5000 was rated a "Best Buy" (along with three others). They also reviewed the D3000, which finished last.
Thanks... I saw a 'cheap' D3000 and was going to do some reading... now saved me the trouble... I do like the D5000, but would have manual focus on my older lenses... not the worst thing in the world... but....
Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ken Rockwell likes the D5000: Nikon D5000

But I understand not wanting the manual focus on the old lenses. How about a reconditioned camera? I got a refurbished Nikon through Adorama. Here is a reconditioned by Nikon d90 camera body: 25446B Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Martha....

Thanks... I am looking at a refurb... and I have bought from adorma a long time ago...

Midpack...

I have also bought from B&H... in fact, I went to their store when I lived in NY for a year... lots of interesting stuff...
Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I always use Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ for in-depth, unbiased reviews of cameras. I am a Canon user and know little of the Nikon line so will be unable to advise further.

I agree with Martha about Ken Rockwell; he is a Nikon enthusiast but is always fair in his comparing them to other brands.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a canon, so cannot comment on your choice of Nikon.

However, some these digital SLRs are bigger than the old film SLRs. Make sure DW goes to a store and holds the cameras before you decide to buy.

I second DPReview as a good site for reviews.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well.... doing a bit more research and it appears the lower priced models do not work with the old AF lenses... they use AF-S lenses...
When you say "old AF lenes" are you saying the old F90 AF lenses don't work on the lower priced models but will work on the D90 model? I have the old F90 Nikon and it was/is an amazing camera. Don't know much about the D90.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
When you say "old AF lenes" are you saying the old F90 AF lenses don't work on the lower priced models but will work on the D90 model? I have the old F90 Nikon and it was/is an amazing camera. Don't know much about the D90.

I have an old 6006 (I think that is the number).... the lenses are coded AF...

If you know about the lenses for auto focus... there is a motor in the body that turns a screw in the lens to focus....

In the cheaper digitals.... the lens is an AF-S... from what I read they now have the motor in the lens itself... so they only need contacts with the camera... so the cheap ones do not have a motor to focus... so, no motor in the lens, no motor in the body... no auto focus...

From what I assume... the D90 has both... so it can use the old AF lens and the new AF-S lens...
Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I suggest B&H for an online retailer. Adorama second and amazon third (amazon only). I would not veer from these people. B&H is my benchmark for price on new stuff (they carry used as well).

For used, I suggest KEH. They represent top dollar for used equipment (meaning, I would expect to pay slightly less than what KEH advertises for the condition) and when they say excellent, they mean it. I bought an entire medium format system from KEH and it was flawless (all rated excellent or below). I was very happy. That means, for a D90, I wouldn't pay more than about $650 for a minty body.

I've had some success with craigslist, but you need to know what you are doing. We buy the same camera body for our business, so I know what typically is wrong with them or can go wrong. I also frequent a photography forum, so I will keep my eye out for a D90 for a local transaction (Houston?), if you're interested in going that route.

i believe a d50 and d70 should AF your old lenses (double check that, I'm a canon guy). in case you are open to buying used and minimizing costs. I will only buy new camera equipment if in a time pinch. good luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

OK... my normal time frame for me to decide to spend money was compressed since my wife insisted we get this before our upcoming trip...

We decided to go to Ritz to take a look at the cameras...

They had the 3000 on sale... and the new 3100.. the 5000 did not seem to be 'worth it' when compared to the D90...

Soo... the D90... it is a little bit smaller than my current one, but a few ounces heavier... the picts we took seemed to come out well.. it has a LOT of things to learn... but since my current lenses work with it the wife thought it was worth the extra money for the body...

So, we ordered a refurb from B&H at about $720... that is $130 less than new... thanks for all the info...
Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
I suggest B&H for an online retailer. Adorama second and amazon third (amazon only). I would not veer from these people. B&H is my benchmark for price on new stuff (they carry used as well).

For used, I suggest KEH. They represent top dollar for used equipment (meaning, I would expect to pay slightly less than what KEH advertises for the condition) and when they say excellent, they mean it. I bought an entire medium format system from KEH and it was flawless (all rated excellent or below). I was very happy. That means, for a D90, I wouldn't pay more than about $650 for a minty body.

I've had some success with craigslist, but you need to know what you are doing. We buy the same camera body for our business, so I know what typically is wrong with them or can go wrong. I also frequent a photography forum, so I will keep my eye out for a D90 for a local transaction (Houston?), if you're interested in going that route.

i believe a d50 and d70 should AF your old lenses (double check that, I'm a canon guy). in case you are open to buying used and minimizing costs. I will only buy new camera equipment if in a time pinch. good luck.

Thanks for the link... I did not go with KEH because I could not see if we got all the stuff... maybe I will get something else there...

From what I read.... I would not buy from Amazon as one of the online dealers said they were not an 'official dealer' and Nikon would not honor the warranty.... don't know if this is true or not... but there price was not better anyhow....
Old 11-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
From what I read.... I would not buy from Amazon as one of the online dealers said they were not an 'official dealer' and Nikon would not honor the warranty
Nikon's web site lists Amazon as an authorized dealer for the D90:
Where To Buy
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Nikon's web site lists Amazon as an authorized dealer for the D90:
Where To Buy

Good update.... maybe they meant then non Amazon people on Amazon... rono said Amazon (Amazon only)... so that is probably what he meant...
Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

the best without going full frame is the d7000 now with the d5000 following close 2nd. how much you need to spend depends on how much low light or action shots you take. even the d3100 is fine for general photography.

most of the photos we post here and sell on our website are done with the d80 by marilyn and the d300 by myself.

the older lenses wont autofocus as the lower end nikons no longer have the motor in the camera ,its built into the lenses now
Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
and sell on our website
Is there a Link to such a place?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

i sent you a d/m with the link