Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Recommendations: very used car
Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Who cares about gas mileage?* Between the bulk, the size, the air bags in that newer model, and the low center of gravity...plus if she's going to be driving anywhere longer distance, everyones going to want to go in the "big car" and chip in for the gas, hmmm?

MATH_FUN_4_U_2_USE

EPA in 1982 listed the Towncar mileage at 16 or 17 depending on the model. They didn't break out the city/highway mileage at that time. However, as you may remember, these original EPA estimates were higher than that acheivable by normal drivers (your mileage may vary). The 10 mpg and 6 city are indicative of the kind of mileage that you may experiance for real-world driving and a 24 year old car.

Well lets see if they drive it 12k miles a year at 10 mpg ==> 1200 gallons of gas. Price that gas at $2.30/galon and I get an annual fuel cost of $2760.

if they drive it 12k miles a year at 6 mpg ==> 2000 gallons of gas. Price that gas at $2.30/galon and I get an annual fuel cost of $4600.

Wasn't the goal here to keep the auto costs down ? Those fuel costs just may swamp any savings from driving the beater.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

1991 Lincoln Town Car mileage is listed as 17 city/23 highway.

We had a 1996 Lincoln Town Car and it got 15 city and 22 to 25 highway.

Gonzo

Old 01-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, Al, if you aren't sick of suggestions by now, my dad has been very happy with his Crown Vic police interceptor. He got it with 91k for a few thousand and is up to roughly 150k with no problems. I see them listed on Ebay for $4 to $5k pretty frequently.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Al,* don't know if it's worth considering, but I'm trying to sell my Grandma's hoopty since she moved into an assisted care home.

It's a beautiful '86 Grand Marquis (that's saying a lot, considering I'm a GM guy).* 80k miles.* Car is in unbelievable shape, which stands to reason, considering the owners.* The downside is it's in Iowa... but if you are interested, let me know and I can email you some pictures.* I IT can be had for $3k.

Just a thought..............

edited for grammar -* doh.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
* I can be had for $3k.
I bet you say that to all the guys.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #26

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep 'em coming.

I'd never considered an American car, but I can see that that shouldn't be ruled out.

Here's I view the MPG issue, assuming 6,000 miles (6 months) and $2.30/gal:

Car* * * * * * * * * * * * Mileage* * * Gallons* * * * * Cost
American beater:* *15 MPG* * * *400* * * * * * * * $920
Jap beater:* * ** * * 30 MPG* * * *200* * * * ** * * * 460
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *--------------
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *$460
Old 01-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Al, the crown vic gets 25 in the highway. The buicks get 29 or 30 on the highway.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #28

Right, so the MPG issue isn't that important, at least financially.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #29

Bow-tie, do you deliver?

That brings up the issue of age and mileage. Certainly a 20 yr-old car is not as good as a 5 yr-old car with the same mileage, but how much of a difference is there?

My feeling is that a very old car, even if it's been well taken car of, is going to have trouble with rusting parts.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Bow-tie, do you deliver?
There are lots of auto-transport companies. I suspect that you could ship a car from Ohio to Seattle(Isn't that were u are ?) for $600-1200.

But there must be lots of cars like this where you live. Don't they have a Greensheet/craigslist/auto-trader/local newspaper etc. that shows people selling cars ?

Quote:
My feeling is that a very old car, even if it's been well taken car of, is going to have trouble with rusting parts.
Besides rust you need to worry about gaskets and seals and rubber bushings etc.. There's nothing that can't be fixed though. All it takes is money or your time and effort.

Quote:
1991 Lincoln Town Car mileage is listed as 17 city/23 highway.
Well, 17/23 is certainly better mileage than the 10 mpg that I quoted for the 82 Lincoln. However I don't think these older cars will get that great of mileage. For example, my 1985 Corvette mileage is rated at 16 city/25 Highway. However I only get around 12-14 mpg in real world driving. If I just do short trips I only get around 10 mpg. On the highway maybe I'll get 20-22 mpg. My point is, is that these older cars, for a variety of reasons, don't work as well as they did when they were new.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Craigslist. Definitely.

I've driven a manual-transmission '97 Saturn. Nice beater car.

Honda Civic, just about any model from the '90s. We still see our '90 Civic DX on the road four years after we sold it for $2495.

I'd add Altima to the list. Ours is nearly nine years old with no major problems, it has airbags & ABS all around with plenty of acceleration help, and it gets 28 mpg. It also beat the snot out of that guardrail when my spouse spun out and (the car) sustained only cosmetic damage.

"(the car)" = Sorry, TH, but I could see that one coming...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

@#%$@%#$!!!!!

Al, I was thinking about this some more...any way to rent or short term lease a car? For that short a time period, you might be paying sales tax, registration fees, car taxes, insurance, etc.

When I was really young and had serious car problems, I used to rent from a couple of places called "rent a wreck" and "ugly duckling" rentals, both of which did daily and weekly rentals for under ten bucks a day or fifty bucks a week. Adjust that for inflation as that was 25-27 years ago. If she doesnt need the car every day and a place that does cheap rentals is real close, or if she can finagle a weekly/monthly rate with an outfit like this, could end up being a lot cheaper and no buy/sell hassle and no repairs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Granted you wouldnt get any money back from selling at the end, but this looks at least a little promising. Did a search of "st. louis long term car rental" and got a lot of results. Some companies offering to do a lease transfer for 12 months @~$200 a month. I'm sure there are a boatload of pitfalls with this. Even the major car rental companies would rent you a small car from now until the end of september for ~5000. I see theres a rent-a-wreck in st. louis too.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #34

Good out of the box thinking. I'll suggest that she evaluate that.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #35

A few years ago, I was helping an exchange student from Mexico to get a car for a semester. The best she could find for a rental for 3-4 months was about $2000. I believe it was from rent-a-wreck or something similar.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Bow-tie, do you deliver?

That brings up the issue of age and mileage.* Certainly a 20 yr-old car is not as good as a 5 yr-old car with the same mileage, but how much of a difference is there?

Al, I'm sure we could work something out.*

I wouldn't worry about the rusting parts, at least this car anyway.* But, like you said, it is 20 years old.* It has a 5L V8 with an OD transmission.* Not sure what to expect for mileage.* I would guess highway would have to be around 20, maybe better.

But, maybe the renting thing might work.* If you're interested, give me an email address, and I can forward pics.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #37

Bowtie:

Please post the pictures here on the forum for our edutainment.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #38

Aw, man. I knew someone was going to request that... now I have to figure out how to do it. Boooooooooooo.