Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Talk about HUGE juevos! Wanna bet Felix will now be a popular newborn male name?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Set a new highest manned balloon flight record. Set a new freefall speed record, including first man to freefall over the speed of sound. Set a new highest parachute jump record.

Didn't break Kittinger's longest time in freefall record. With all the assistance Kittinger gave him for this attempt, I wonder if he left that record stand on purpose.
I had the same thought.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #23

I'm still watching it on tv. He's at 60k + on his way up. I can't see him outside in the sky though.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

So what happens to the balloon and the capsule? Are they recovered, or equipped with their own parachute system, or just burning up on re-entry?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Didn't break Kittinger's longest time in freefall record. With all the assistance Kittinger gave him for this attempt, I wonder if he left that record stand on purpose.
Several decades ago I was the co-pilot on an Air Force (human) cargo flight from Florida to the midwest. One of the passengers was Col Kittinger's wife. She came up to the cockpit, sat herself in the jump seat between us and 'bout talked our ears off.

No question in my mind as to why her husband was willing to jump out of a balloon miles above the earth....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... and lives to talk about it.

There have been ejections at greater than Mach 1 by military aircrew. I don't know if that counts as "breaking the sound barrier" but I think only one man has survived the experience.

I like Baumgarter's retirement attitude. After this he's not going to jump anymore, but instead will do something safer: flying rescue helicopters.
Based on a conversation with an old pilot, I think their may be more than one from at least 50K feet, guess I don't know about the air speed, but I probably won't be around when theses missions are declassified.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Based on a conversation with an old pilot, I think their may be more than one from at least 50K feet, guess I don't know about the air speed, but I probably won't be around when theses missions are declassified.
Here's the story of a guy who survived an "ejection" from 78,000+ ft and Mach 3+:

Quote:
The cumulative effects of system malfunctions, reduced longitudinal stability, increased angle-of-attack in the turn, supersonic speed, high altitude and other factors imposed forces on the airframe that exceeded flight control authority and the stability augmentation system’s ability to restore control.
IOW, he was having a very bad day...

SR-71 Blackbird breakup at Mach 3.18

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
So what happens to the balloon and the capsule? Are they recovered, or equipped with their own parachute system, or just burning up on re-entry?
The capsule had it's own parachute and was separated from the balloon with apparently a plan to recover it. I saw it floating down but they ended coverage before it came down, so I don't know when/where it landed.

I guess at some point the balloon will come down, maybe in pieces, but it didn't sound like they'd try to recover it.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #29

Very cool.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #30

Watched the whole thing live here too. Can you imagine standing at the door of that capsule, looking out, and then jumping? WOW!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No question in my mind as to why her husband was willing to jump out of a balloon miles above the earth....
Funny. "Well, I might auger in, burn up, or get home alive. Anyway, I'll have enjoyed a few hours of blessed peace and quiet. Seems it's a risk worth taking. "
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #32

Yeah, I'm in love! He is the most awesome man alive. Except for Joe, who had the most amazing calm voice through that whole checklist. I choked up when he told him the guardian angel would take over from there (at the door). A most amazing and historic day. I pulled off the road and watched it on my iPad with some policemen this afternoon. 43 years old, that man. What a day! I don't know what will top this achievement in my lifetime.

And that's his girlfriend! It was his mom who was so emotional. he is a national hero back home in Austria, but I think the US has adopted him as we'll. Joe must be bursting with pride, too.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I choked up when he told him the guardian angel would take over from there (at the door).
+1 - that was a great moment.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in love! He is the most awesome man alive. Except for Joe, who had the most amazing calm voice through that whole checklist. I choked up when he told him the guardian angel would take over from there (at the door). A most amazing and historic day. I pulled off the road and watched it on my iPad with some policemen this afternoon. 43 years old, that man. What a day! I don't know what will top this achievement in my lifetime.

And that's his girlfriend! It was his mom who was so emotional. he is a national hero back home in Austria, but I think the US has adopted him as we'll. Joe must be bursting with pride, too.
Twice he said "our guardian angel". Two amazing and awesome guys. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The capsule had it's own parachute and was separated from the balloon with apparently a plan to recover it. I saw it floating down but they ended coverage before it came down, so I don't know when/where it landed.
I guess at some point the balloon will come down, maybe in pieces, but it didn't sound like they'd try to recover it.
One of the media reports claimed that the balloon is about the thickness of a dry-cleaning wrapper, but each balloon costs $100K+ to produce. And then it's another expense for the helium.

It'll be interesting to read a followup article of the price tag compared to Red Bull's advertising/sponsorship revenue and Google's YouTube ad share.

Quote:
Here's the story of a guy who survived an "ejection" from 78,000+ ft and Mach 3+:
That's the one, thank you!

Did you see that the Air Force decided to remind Baumgartner who really has the right stuff by racking out Chuck Yeager from his nap and stuffing him in the backseat of an F-15?
Yeager re-enacts historic sound barrier flight - Military News | News From Afghanistan, Iraq And Around The World - Military Times

I wonder if he passed the flight physical...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #36

I read that the live feed on YouTube had 8 million views! Unreal. True heroes and you are right, he did say OUR. So awesome. A proud proud moment for science and adventure. How fortunate for all of us that a company like Red Bull thought it a valuable effort. I truly hope it pays off for them in ways we have yet to see.

I can't remember a time since Challenger that so many people were so focused on something like this, and that it was available as a live feed so you could watch it from anywhere in the world. And that so many people did.

I'm glad to see others are as moved by it as I am.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #37

Quote:
I choked up when he told him the guardian angel would take over from there (at the door).
+2

Quote:
Remember - we're not talking about some 12 year old trying to break a record for highest score and farthest level on the Atari 2600 Asteroids game.

I saw the live broadcast, but they cut from the delay soon after he jumped to a live feed of when he was much closer to the ground - only on the rebroadcast tonight did the newscaster mention how he developed a very dangerous spin soon after he jumped, but eventually managed to straighten out.

Something tells me that as you're zooming to earth, with a good chance of dying, and you just stabilized yourself after a potentially fatal spin, with a thickening atmosphere rushing past you at 700+ mph, his sphincter probably didn't loosen up enough for him to actually look at a stopwatch and say "you know, it would be really cool for me to pull this ripcord a few seconds early and let Kittinger's longest freefall record stand".

But, perhaps it was an intentional plan for that. Something we may never know officially.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Several decades ago I was the co-pilot on an Air Force (human) cargo flight from Florida to the midwest. One of the passengers was Col Kittinger's wife. She came up to the cockpit, sat herself in the jump seat between us and 'bout talked our ears off.

Great story. I hope that this record will give some attention to the very under told story of Col Kittinger's remarkable achievement set in 1960. In another forum somebody was saying the Felix Baumgarter had the biggest balls ever.

I replied.
No argument that Felix has huge balls. But for my money his bravery doesn't compare with Col Joe Kittinger who made virtually the same jump from 102,800 and still holds the record for the longest free fall which Felix failed to break.

The thing is Col.(ret.) Kittinger, who served as technical adviser for this jump, made his jump from a balloon back in Aug 1960, before we had put a man in space. Unlike Felix's sophisticated pressure suit, in 1960 Capt Kittenger only wore a basic pressure suit. The only computer assistance available was the standard issue Mark 1 brain.

Unlike Felix Baumgartner who did his jump for fame and adrenaline rush, and probably a decent paycheck. Capt. Kittinger did his jump for his basic military pay and for scientific knowledge. Both NASA and the USAF were very interested to see if people could survive parachute jumps from these altitudes. On the balloon ride up, Capt Kittinger glove on his right hand failed to inflated. His hand quickly swelled up and lost the use of it for the whole jump, and risked permanent damage. But rather than telling the doctor what happened, who would have aborted the flight, he pressed on and made the jump with only one good hand.

So while congratulation are in order for Felix, we should also give tribute to the guy who held the records for more than 50 years. Col Joe Kittinger story along with other 1960 era adventurers is told in James Clash's book the Right Stuff
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #39

And also Col. Kittinger has written a few items about his life, including this book:
Come up and get me
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/082634..._d_detail?pd=1

His earlier book, The Long Lonely Leap, has been out of print but I think is still available.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A bad day at the office takes on a different meaning when you are test pilot.
It is hard to imagine how forces that would make titanium plane built to sustain 2,000+ MPH and lots of G could disintegrate and human survive. I love how the pilot , does more test flights two weeks latter in an SR-71