Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Recording from Internet Radio
Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,202
Recording from Internet Radio

There are thousands of radio stations "broadcasting" on the Internet, and you can legally record music from them. It may be a bit of gray area ethically.

Today I've been evaluating an app called Audials RadioTracker. The nice thing about it is that it gets the song information from the stream (track, artist, album), so you can tell it to record from a set of say, 10 stations, and after a short time you'll have a bunch of mp3 files that are ready to import into iTunes (with the info and album art intact).

You can even tell it go to find particular tunes or artists.

It's not perfect, in that sometimes there's a DJ speaking over the start of a tune, but so far it looks good. Sound quality is perfectly acceptable.

There's a free app called Screamer Radio that can do some of this, and another called Musicy, which doesn't work at all on my system.
__________________

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,445
I've used Streamripper for years, but it records stations that play over Shoutcast. It works great, and a lot of the Shoutcast stations don't talk over the songs. I've been thinking about trying RadioSure. I've heard good things about it. It costs $10, if you want the full package. Free to try. I don't think Screamer Radio allows you to save individual songs.
__________________

__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,654
I use Station Ripper to grab songs for my iPod and Android. I like Radioparadise.com. They have an eclectic mix from the 50 and 60s through the present day. I hear stuff I would never run into normally. They lean a bit soft toward ballads and the like, which I prefer, not metal. I will have to give Audials a look.

A nice think about this is you can toss a thousand songs on an iPod, hook it up to your home stereo or car and listen for hours. It is definitely a gray area but seems to fit the traditional time shifting paradigm so I don't lose sleep over it. I don't even mind the DJ parts -- after all I am listening to Internet radio.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I use Station Ripper to grab songs for my iPod and Android. I like Radioparadise.com. They have an eclectic mix from the 50 and 60s through the present day. I hear stuff I would never run into normally. They lean a bit soft toward ballads and the like, which I prefer, not metal. I will have to give Audials a look.
Lol! My number one station! I also listen to Creamy Radio.

Quote:
A nice think about this is you can toss a thousand songs on an iPod, hook it up to your home stereo or car and listen for hours. It is definitely a gray area but seems to fit the traditional time shifting paradigm so I don't lose sleep over it. I don't even mind the DJ parts -- after all I am listening to Internet radio.
I don't think it's a gray area at all. What's the difference between taping radio on a cassette tape and doing the same thing digitally? That was always considered fair use, a concept that the RIAA likes to pretend doesn't exist. As long as you aren't uploading it to share there's no dilemma. Heck, I used to tape radio, cut out the jibber jabber, splice or re-record them onto a mix tape, and give it to the girl du jour. I'd probably get 5 years and a $100K fine for that these days.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Bay
Posts: 1,026
I've used RadioTracker for the past several years. It is a good way to build up a portfolio of music quickly and cheaply, but it does take some effort to edit the beginning and end of most of the tracks to start/stop/fade nicely. At first I turned the program loose for about a week recording songs from a few dozen of my favorite artists, and then spent many hours selecting and editing the ones I wanted to keep. After I got the first batch of music I have gone back and filled in the collection more selectively and slowly.
__________________
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
I've used RadioTracker for the past several years. It is a good way to build up a portfolio of music quickly and cheaply, but it does take some effort to edit the beginning and end of most of the tracks to start/stop/fade nicely.
Does Radio Tracker have editing tools? Station Ripper just saves off the tracks as MP#s but I have never been able to edit the start and stop points.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Does Radio Tracker have editing tools? Station Ripper just saves off the tracks as MP#s but I have never been able to edit the start and stop points.
I use TotalRecorder to do that (as well as record streaming audio... and video) but there are other programs that do it also -- one of the AVS programs would also be a candidate.

(I have all of the AVS programs installed but don't have time to see which one is applicable to this issue.)
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,202
StationRipper looks better than Audials RadioTracker -- even the free version. I think I'll go with that. Thanks, Don.

I use Audacity to trim songs and fix things up.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've used Streamripper for years, but it records stations that play over Shoutcast.
Doh! I meant Stationripper, of course.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
cardude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
There are thousands of radio stations "broadcasting" on the Internet, and you can legally record music from them. It may be a bit of gray area ethically.

Today I've been evaluating an app called Audials RadioTracker. The nice thing about it is that it gets the song information from the stream (track, artist, album), so you can tell it to record from a set of say, 10 stations, and after a short time you'll have a bunch of mp3 files that are ready to import into iTunes (with the info and album art intact).

You can even tell it go to find particular tunes or artists.

It's not perfect, in that sometimes there's a DJ speaking over the start of a tune, but so far it looks good. Sound quality is perfectly acceptable.

There's a free app called Screamer Radio that can do some of this, and another called Musicy, which doesn't work at all on my system.
Al, thanks for posting up about this. I just tried it and it seems very cool and easy to use. I think I'm going to buy it for $26.
__________________
ER'ed from the new car business Feb 2008. I'm 47, she's 45. Two boys ages 15 and 13. DW is SAHM. I've got a part-time used car lot I w*ork at 3 hours a day that keeps me in beer money.....
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Al, thanks for posting up about this. I just tried it and it seems very cool and easy to use. I think I'm going to buy it for $26.
Station Ripper is free
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Bay
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Does Radio Tracker have editing tools? Station Ripper just saves off the tracks as MP#s but I have never been able to edit the start and stop points.
Yes and no. It has tools to trim/fade within the first and last 30 seconds or so of a recording. If somehow the recording included two songs or more than 30 seconds of radio talk, I haven't found a way to edit that deeply into the recording (although it is possible that there are settings I haven't found that would enable it). The editing of each track is very easy and intuitive, however.
__________________
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,457
Cool, thanks guys! I'll try that stationripper!
I use audacity to make mixes and such for our hoopdance performances and while it is a huge pain to figure out, once you do, the output is pretty good.
__________________

__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Way Radio/Marine Band Radio for Christmas bizlady Other topics 2 11-21-2009 11:17 AM
got satellite radio? TromboneAl Other topics 10 02-21-2007 08:55 AM
Recording Internet Radio BOBOT Other topics 1 02-14-2007 10:02 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.