Join Early Retirement Today

Red light camera 'ticket'
Old 10-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Red light camera 'ticket'

OK... got a red light camera 'ticket' in the mail the other day... it was not me driving... but I do own the car...

SOOO, wrote down who was the driver and sent it in... as their affidavit requests....

Later, one of my sisters said that she has heard from people that will just write down 'I was not driving and you go find out who was'... basically saying it is not their job to tell them who was driving...

SO, today I get in the mail a letter saying that I did not have the affidavit notarized.... and I need to fill it out etc...

Now, I am going to ask if anybody knows what the requirements are for this in Texas and Austin if the city can have a different law....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
gone traveling

I've had a few of these from several years ago, and I wasn't the driver, but there was no requirement to have it notarized. These were for failing to come to a complete stop when making a right turn on red, not going thru a red light. Actually, I think the ticket paperwork provided an online site to go to to view the infraction and also enabled immediate credit card payment of the fine, so nothing to notarize.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I've had a few of these from several years ago, and I wasn't the driver, but there was no requirement to have it notarized. These were for failing to come to a complete stop when making a right turn on red, not going thru a red light. Actually, I think the ticket paperwork provided an online site to go to to view the infraction and also enabled immediate credit card payment of the fine, so nothing to notarize.

They have the ability for me to pay it... but it also allows me to say it was not ME... and I would not have to pay...

But, they want me to say who was driving... and they want THAT notarized...
Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just tell them you can't be compelled to testify against your spouse and move on...
Old 10-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind that red light camera tickets are rarely, if ever, moving violations that go on the driving record. Yeah, there is principle involved that may or may not be worth fighting for, but if keeping a clean driving record is the primary motivation, it's probably not an issue. It's basically a parking ticket, albeit a possibly costlier one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know about Texas but in NY they are like parking tickets.
The ticket is issued to the car not the driver so it does not matter who was driving. So ultimately the person who owns the car is responsible to pay the ticket.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Follow the link below to an on-line traffic school for free information/answers in plain English to your questions about red light camera tickets in Texas. Or, if you don't think they are correct, you can start by reading section 707 of the Texas transportation code and try to figure it out.

https://trafficschoolonline.com/blog...-camera-ticket
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A few responses.... not DW, but DS....

It does not go on the driving record, but I did not do it...

I do not think it is the responsibility of the car owner according to what I read... I do not want to pay it.... it is DSs responsibility....

Thanks Car-Guy.... I did see the link you provided before posting... I just cannot find any real life example of someone who was not driving... most just tell you what happens if you do not pay etc...

I want to know what I can do and what would happen if I did it....
Old 10-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
...I do not think it is the responsibility of the car owner according to what I read...
I'd be curious what you read that led to that conclusion. I've had a few of these in Texas. According to the information and affidavit on the back of the citation, it's very clear that the owner is responsible for paying the fine regardless of who was driving. There are a few exceptions such as if the car was stolen or sold prior to the violation, but of course you'll need documentation to prove this. If you leased the vehicle, you are required to identify the driver/lessee in order to not be liable.

My kids are still driving cars they had in college and are titled under my name. If one of them gets a red light camera violation, the citation is sent to me. They pay me and then I pay the fine. Pretty simple.

In my county, if you don't pay, your vehicle registration is blocked at next renewal. Some counties in Texas don't enforce this however.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Apparently a lot of people are not paying these tickets and no repercussions.

Many red-light camera offenders not paying, analysis shows | www.statesman.com
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A more recent article: Why your unpaid red-light camera ticket in Dallas won't hurt your credit score anymore | Dallas City Hall | Dallas News
Old 10-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We don't have camera tickets (yet) in Michigan. The whole idea seems Orwellian. Is the whole system run by a private contractor?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Great article. The camers were installed in The Woodlands, TX as the township leaders saw them as a new and additional source of revenue. Since they are apparently clueless leaders, they had them installed at several intersections without first doing the required studies for meeting placement requirements. One astute citizen found this out and pressed legal action to have them removed. Citizens won out and they were yanked out. Cost the township $$$$ for the embarrassment.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Great article. The camers were installed in The Woodlands, TX as the township leaders saw them as a new and additional source of revenue. Since they are apparently clueless leaders, they had them installed at several intersections without first doing the required studies for meeting placement requirements. One astute citizen found this out and pressed legal action to have them removed. Citizens won out and they were yanked out. Cost the township $$$$ for the embarrassment.
A similar story in South Florida. After being rolled out in many of the towns in the tri-county area, they were challenged, taken to court, and now mostly phased out.

My daughter got a red light camera ticket driving my car a couple of years ago. It came in the mail, I showed it to her, she took it from my hand and said "sorry, I'll take care of it". No points, just a fine, which she paid that same morning.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
We don't have camera tickets (yet) in Michigan. The whole idea seems Orwellian. Is the whole system run by a private contractor?
We have them in Texas but not in my county. In the ten+ years I've lived here I've been on every road in the county that might have any sort of traffic lights. I'd estimate there are 4 or 5 red/yellow/green traffic lights in the entire county and maybe another 6 or 7 red flashing stop lights. Add a few train crossings with red lights and that's about it.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I once got a radar camera ticket a year after visiting Venice, Italy. The camera was on a causeway going out to the city for 1.2 mph over the 35 mph speed limit.

Worse part was they wanted the penalty wire transferred to their checking account--in Euros.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I once got a radar camera ticket a year after visiting Venice, Italy. The camera was on a causeway going out to the city for 1.2 mph over the 35 mph speed limit.

Worse part was they wanted the penalty wire transferred to their checking account--in Euros.
That sounds pretty fast for a gondola?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #18

Here is an interesting article about a red-light ticket outside of Dallas:

Judge sides with man who said Richardson red-light cams violated his rights | Richardson | Dallas News

A $75 ticket, lawyer sued, won $27,000 in attorney fees! City will appeal, but if verdict stays it should change red-light law in Texas,
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

What would they do if you didn't pay ? Give you a good paddle
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
One issue I have with red light camera's is they have increased rear-end collisions as people slam on the brakes to stop before the line when the light starts to change.
Red Light Cams Linked to Increased Rear-End Collisions

Also here in Chicago, there were kickbacks and bribes paid to install the camera's and some officials went to jail, one supposedly got over 1/2 Million in bribes.
Red light cameras investigation - Chicago Tribune
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote