Redfin Real Estate Agent Caution...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We’re selling our deceased Dads 1957 home, and finally got a good offer. The buyer is using a Redfin agent. The home inspection was completed about 10 days ago, and the buyers have ordered follow up inspections with contractors. All good.

My sister still lives in the same city fortunately. She stopped by a few days ago and found the buyer wife and her 4 kids there with a pool inspector, the agent wasn’t there and did not lock up. My sister, a former realtor, was fuming but understandably doesn’t want to kill the deal by complaining too strongly. Our sellers agent (a traditional service agent) talked to the Redfin agent.

Yesterday my sister goes by the house again, and finds the buyer wife there with an electrician, again no agent. Turns out there have been 4 follow up inspections, and none have been scheduled through CSS as is expected. :mad:

All inspections are complete now, so there shouldn’t be any more “home invasions.”

I am sure there are good, competent Redfin agents, but we sure haven’t had a good experience. I read an email from the Redfin agent for the first time today, spelling and grammar like a 4th grader.

Totally unprofessional Redfin agent all in all.

As is usually true, you get what you pay for...

We just bought a house, and sold another, so how the process goes is fresh in my mind. As a buyer, I wouldn’t dare go into a sellers home any time between initial showing and closing without the seller or sellers agent or without their direct authorization. We’ve dealt with more than a half dozen full service realtors in three states the past few months, and many others in previous moves, all professionals - unlike this RedFin agent. And my sister was a realtor for 10 years, knows how things are supposed to happen.

Last edited:
This is an example of a poorly behaved agent. It has nothing to do with Redfin.

That's similar to my experience with Redfin, surprisingly unprofessional.

This is an example of a poorly behaved agent. It has nothing to do with Redfin.
I noted it was one example, but RedFin is a low cost volume driven “realty” which is reason for caution. How are you able to conclude they’re not less professional?

Last edited:
I noted it was one example, but RedFin is a low cost volume driven “realty” which is reason for caution. How are you able to conclude they’re not less professional?
It's not up to me to conclude that they're not less professional than any other group of real estate agents.

It's irresponsible to single out one company in a thread title based on a bad encounter with a single agent.

It's not up to me to conclude that they're not less professional than any other group of real estate agents.

It's irresponsible to single out one company in a thread title based on a bad encounter with a single agent.

FIFY
This is an example of a poorly behaved agent. It may not be representative of [-]has nothing to do with[/-] Redfin.

We had a bad experience with one real estate agent

FIFY

I agree it may not be fair to blame Redfin but some brokers would not allow these incidents to occur.

How did the buyer wife and inspectors gain entry? Did the Redfin agent let them in and then leave?

The full service broker that sold our home 3 years ago was at every inspection and every "event" that happened. He told us that he met at another property and the Redfin agent was complaining about his commision. It was 25% of our full service agent. There is a reason the Redfin agent didn't show up. He could not afford to

You get what you pay for me thinks.

We just got the repair request, and the RedFin agent continues to prove how totally incompetent he is. Again, you get what you pay for...

While I’ve provided just one first hand example, it’s not hard to find full service agents with numerous horror stories re: RedFin and Zillow agents.

No agent should be leaving the buyers unaccompanied at a property and it's considered trespassing when you enter a house without the sellers permission.
I'm obviously not a fan of Redfin, when you work on reduced commissions you tend to cut corners.

Sorry, "could not afford to" makes no sense.

ok. He didn't feel he could go because he had to do another deal to make his rent

Life is a series of trade offs. He chose to prospect another deal instead of providing customer service

Part of this is on your agent as well.

FYI - make sure your listing agent uses a Supra electronic lockbox. That can only be opened by an agent with a valid approved appointment and leaves an electronic record of exactly who opened it and when.

FYI - make sure your listing agent uses a Supra electronic lockbox. That can only be opened by an agent with a valid approved appointment and leaves an electronic record of exactly who opened it and when.
+1

Are Real Estate agents required to be licensed in this state?

If so. would this unauthorized access be a violation of the licensing rules?

Are Real Estate agents required to be licensed in this state?

If so. would this unauthorized access be a violation of the licensing rules?

This. I would certainly discuss this with the broker (I would do it now...especially if you are out the due diligence period) and let them know that you are considering contacting your state real estate board/commission. Most brokers will take action...they do NOT want to deal with any complaints that are investigated by the licencing authority.

However, make sure that you haven't inadvertently given permission for these "unannounced" inspections. *Some* contracts will allow broad permissions during the due diligence period. An example of such broad language:

Buyer, together with persons deemed qualified by Buyer and at Buyer’s expense, shall have the right to enter upon the Property to
conduct any and all investigations, inspections, and reviews of the Property.

And sometimes a jurisdiction will allow vetted contractors to use the system as well.

I'm sure it varies by state. In the 2 states where I have bought/sold property, ALL realtors represent the seller unless specifically contracted by the buyer as a "buyers agent". At closing, commissions are subtracted from the sellers proceeds as a line item, not added to the buyers cost. Since the seller pays the commissions, the realtors are working for the seller.

I understand "holding your tongue" to not jeopardize the sale. As I understand the business model, the buyer didn't chose the realtor... just the property to look at. There may not be any emotional attachments on the part of the buyer.

I used Redfin on the sale of my city-condo and purchase of my new city-condo recently and had a great experience.

My agent not only got me a great deal on my purchase but was able to sell my unit with multiple offers and got me nearly the same price as a bigger, nicer unit in my building after my original offer fell through.

I thought long and hard about using Redfin on my sale and determined it was worth "the risk" (compared to using a traditional agent) mainly because my condo was a fairly simple, straight forward 1 bedroom city condo. I was able to risk possibly losing $1 to $5k on a lower sales price to save the same amount on a lower commission. It all worked out perfectly because my condo sold as one of the highest comps in my building and I still ended up saving about $6k in real estate commissions by using Redfin, plus I got a $1k check from Redfin on the purchase of my new place.

If I lived in a super unique place and was debating on Redfin or not...that would be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom