Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The picture just shows espresso-sized cups. Can you use the machine to brew regular 8+-oz cups?

(For that price, it oughta wash the dishes while it's at it, ha)

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I recommend a device such as this, if you have room for it on your counter top. It makes one cup at a time, using whatever coffee you like. I get my coffee at Costco for about $6 a pound. Just about any coffee tastes great when it comes out of this machine. And, IMHO, this machine will make much better coffee than a k-cup gadget.

Amazon.com: Philips Saeco RI9737/20 Vienna Plus Automatic Espresso Machine, Silver: Kitchen & Dining

The comparison between the above machine and a k-cup gadget boils down to the cost of the machine versus the cost of the consumables. How many k-cups do you have to drink to make back the extra cost of the machine? And, IMHO, this machine will make much better coffee than a k-cup gadget. Did I already say that?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The picture just shows espresso-sized cups. Can you use the machine to brew regular 8+-oz cups?

(For that price, it oughta wash the dishes while it's at it, ha)

Amethyst
Oh yes. It can produce anything from a espresso to a full cup of coffee. Sorry, it does not wash the dishes, and it does have to be cleaned from time to time.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a Kuerig in an office of 8. It is convenient since no one has to clean or start a pot. We have a service contract. It's good that you can have a variety of coffee styles, plus each person can choose strength per cup by adjusting the water to grounds ratio.

The cons are that it's not as smooth as a nicely brewed drip carafe of freshly ground roasted coffee because the amount of tannins and stuff the comes out in the k cup process makes a harsher cup of coffee. My espresso maker at home or java from Starbucks is still superior to me.

IMO you trade some finished quality of the brew for convenience.

We don't use the renewable cups, but there's plenty of opinions on the pros and cons on the web.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Saeco Super automatic

Quote:
I recommend a device such as this, if you have room for it on your counter top. It makes one cup at a time, using whatever coffee you like. I get my coffee at Costco for about $6 a pound. Just about any coffee tastes great when it comes out of this machine. And, IMHO, this machine will make much better coffee than a k-cup gadget.

Amazon.com: Philips Saeco RI9737/20 Vienna Plus Automatic Espresso Machine, Silver: Kitchen & Dining

The comparison between the above machine and a k-cup gadget boils down to the cost of the machine versus the cost of the consumables. How many k-cups do you have to drink to make back the extra cost of the machine? And, IMHO, this machine will make much better coffee than a k-cup gadget. Did I already say that?
We got a similar model from Costco when they went on sale. We fell in love with these on our trip to Europe and now we are spoiled. My old K-Cup machine is about to end up on ebay.

I like the fact that all you need is beans - and a small amount of daily maintenance.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #25

I love my coffee in the morning, but in the last year or so, I find I can't take the acidity of it. So I have tried to compensate by making it weaker (which I normally don't like)

I'm wondering what method reduces this acidity the most. I don't want to give it up. Just would like for it not to upset my stomach so much. (hense my new interest in a different coffee method)

I have always preferred the taste that comes from using good beans and a French Press. But I don't like the clean up and mess. Not sure what reduces the acidity. I have been trying different coffees from Costco.

I prefer a medium roast and my son likes a bold strong coffee, so individual is good in that sense.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tried Keurig with various k-cups, and even had a go with the refillable. I think it is inferior to my $4 2-cup french press. I have one at home and one at work. There is cleanup, but it is pretty simple to take apart. There is no cost beyond the press you buy and the coffee. Look on Amazon and sort from lowest cost to highest. Then look at the reviews. I think I might go for travel mug/press if one of my presses breaks.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I love my coffee in the morning, but in the last year or so, I find I can't take the acidity of it. So I have tried to compensate by making it weaker (which I normally don't like)

I'm wondering what method reduces this acidity the most. I don't want to give it up. Just would like for it not to upset my stomach so much. (hense my new interest in a different coffee method)

I have always preferred the taste that comes from using good beans and a French Press. But I don't like the clean up and mess. Not sure what reduces the acidity. I have been trying different coffees from Costco.

I prefer a medium roast and my son likes a bold strong coffee, so individual is good in that sense.
You have to look at pure blends that come from certain regions. I drink the Costco stuff, but I am not an expert. I think that could be your problem, in that their blend is more acidic. I think cold-brewed coffee is also less-acidic.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm wondering what method reduces this acidity the most.
Mixing in a bit of milk or cream helps buffer the acidity a bit. Also, some sources indicate decaf coffee is more likely to cause stomach upset than regular coffee.
Finally, (I can hear the groans now) there is Kava acid-neutralized instant coffee. I haven't tried it. But I drink regular instant coffee almost exclusively at home. No, it doesn't taste like real brewed coffee, but so what? I drink it because it is easy, doesn't upset my stomach, it's easy, there's no cleanup, it's easy, and it tastes good enough.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mix your coffee with butter.

Recipe: How To Make Bulletproof Coffee In 5 Simple Steps
Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #30

Quote:
I love my coffee in the morning, but in the last year or so, I find I can't take the acidity of it. So I have tried to compensate by making it weaker (which I normally don't like) I'm wondering what method reduces this acidity the most. I don't want to give it up. Just would like for it not to upset my stomach so much. (hense my new interest in a different coffee method)
Alton Brown did a whole half-hour on coffee several years ago: Your approach probably did exactly the opposite of your intention. The fewer grounds you use, the more each bit has to give up to the drink; the first draw from grounds is mostly the flavor; the bitterness (and I guess the acidity too - Brown didn't mention it specifically) comes later. So for a less caustic cup, use more grounds, not less.

Or just use cream.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #31

Bought my Keurig coffee maker from Sam's 3+ years ago...and it came with a refillable cup for your own personal coffee. I am the only regular coffee drinker in the household but it is absolutely GREAT to have when friends and family visit...both for clean up and variety! I have a variety of K-cups for visitors, refillable cups (several types) for "emergencies" but my personal preference is to MAKE MY OWN!

I actually save the old cups, empty them and (after drying) fill them with my personal blend (half regular and half de-caf) and strength. I use "press 'n seal" to cover the cups and usually make several dozen at a time which last me a week or more....I thought that I learned that from here but may be mistaken....

I will use the refillable cups when I'm out of my pre-made cups but find that there is definitely a taste difference (for me) and so that does not appen very often

The machine does require "de-scaling" occasionally but I have had no other problems.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

It should also be mentioned that Keurig's are energy vampires - always somewhat "on" and with water held at pre-heat temp.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Keurig at Costco about a year ago, and we have been very happy with it.

For myself, I make a pot of coffee in a more typical coffeemaker every morning, and most of the time that's enough. But every now and then, I'll want just one more cup, and it's so nice to have the instant gratification of inserting a K-cup and getting that cup immediately. You can also get a little extra by using the K-cup twice. My normal coffee mug is pretty big, and I figured out how to fill it this way. There are five size settings on the Keurig. I run it on size 4 (next to largest), then open and close the handle and immediately run it on size 1 (smallest). The combination perfectly fills my mug, and the coffee is still as strong as I want it.

I actually bought the machine for DW, who only wants an occasional cup, and it's perfect for her. She also likes the flavored coffees, and enjoys their variety.

You have to watch carefully when shopping for K-cups, in order to keep the price down to around fifty cents each. Bed Bath & Beyond is a pretty good source when you have one of their 20% coupons.

DW also found a refillable k-cup that works much better than the one that came with the Keurig. It's both easier to use and easier to clean. I don't know what the brand name is, but I think there are several on the market.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #34

The Keurig mini doesn't use much energy at all. There's no water tank (which I prefer); you just pour in a cup of water before using. I plug mine in to use and unplug when done.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
It should also be mentioned that Keurig's are energy vampires - always somewhat "on" and with water held at pre-heat temp.
I'm not sure if that's as true as it once was. We recently had to replace our Keurig with this year's model of the unit we purchased a few years ago. It is very clear that the process has been changed. Previously, you would press the brew button and the brewing happened immediately. Now, there is a delay of 8-10 seconds while something happens that sounds a lot like the water being quickly heated up. That makes we wonder if the newer units, cognizant of the concerns about energy vampiracy, aim to keep the next 12 oz of water at a lower temperature than previous year models, and makes up for that by a short, boosting of the temperature just before brewing.

Incidentally, if you want to be really concerned about such energy vampiracy, check out some of the Bunn models: The model we once had kept 72 oz of water at brew temperature, practically all the time.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #36

I bought a single cup machine from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf last fall
Single Serve Coffee Maker and Beverage Machine | CBTL Americano

I picked this one because I occasionally like to have an espresso but also drink regular coffee in the mornings and didn't want to clutter up the counter with 2 machines. Bed Bath & Beyond carries the capsules, but I've found that reusing them per the method below works great.

Capsules Caffitaly Refillable capsule? How to refill your CBTL Cafissimo Capsules Caffitaly Capsules ... Cafissimo and CBTL
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I use an espresso machine, which is sort of the Neanderthal of refillable cup machines. That is, it is robust, and built for the purpose. Easy to clean and refill. Oh, and it makes all sorts of coffee and coffee based drinks, using known ingredients.

You really want to know what is in that 'mocha latte' K-cup?
Quote:
INGREDIENTS:SUGAR, ALKALIZED COCOA POWDER, CREAMER (HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, GLUCOSE SYRUP, SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, SILICON DIOXIDE), INSTANT COFFEE, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SILICON DIOXIDE, SUCRALOSE.
Yummy!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

Yummy!
DH made one of those "cappuccino" flavored k-cups for a thrifty relative. She suggested he reuse the capsule for a second cup. But I pointed out that the used capsule is completely empty, all the creepy ingredients dissolved in the first cup.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Well, I use an espresso machine, which is sort of the Neanderthal of refillable cup machines. That is, it is robust, and built for the purpose. Easy to clean and refill. Oh, and it makes all sorts of coffee and coffee based drinks, using known ingredients.

Yummy!
Those ingredients look like the remnants of a freeze dried Three Musketeers bar.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Wow. After finishing that page, I suddenly realised that it's not a spoof.

Tags
tryin