Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

You really want to know what is in that 'mocha latte' K-cup?

Yummy!
That is why I have a machine that grinds real coffee. All I put into it is a dash of 1/2&1/2, and sometimes a bit of flavoring (Kalua, Brandy, etc. )

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
You really want to know what is in that 'mocha latte' K-cup?
!
And still, it's not as scary looking as what regular old drip coffee is made of: A partial list of some of the acids reads like something to spray on your lawn. (From Coffee Research.Org)

cis- and trans-but-e-enoic
cis- and trans-2-methylbut- 2-enoic
3-methylbut-2-enoic
methylpropenoic
oxalic
malonic
succinic
3-methylene butanedioic
glutaric
Malic
tartaric
cis- and trans-butenedioic
cis- and trans-methylbutenedioic
methylenebutanedioic
citric
propene- 1,2,3-tricarboxylic
2-furoic
3-monocaffeoylquinic acid
4-monocaffeoylquinic acid
5-monocaffeoylquinic acid
3,4-dicaffeoylquinic acid

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

And still, it's not as scary looking as what regular old drip coffee is made of: A partial list of some of the acids reads like something to spray on your lawn. (From Coffee Research.Org)
Well, I had a few years of college chemistry, so it'll take more than THAT to scare me. (Quite a few of those are common plant compounds, also found in nuts...)

But hydrogenated cocoanut oil as the basis for 'cream'? With phosphates (detergent) to keep it from separating out? Maybe they should just toss in some statins, just in case? I'll stick with genuwine moo cow squeezings, thanks.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

No to the refillable cup

Yes to buying k-cups at Costco.

I love fresh ground coffee and make a pot of it most mornings, k cups are great for one off cups, and also great on days where just one of us has to go to work and the other is sleeping in
Old 07-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
It should also be mentioned that Keurig's are energy vampires - always somewhat "on" and with water held at pre-heat temp.
This post got me wondering, so I hooked it up through my Kill-A-Watt and let it run for 24 hours. The result was about 40 watt-hours, which costs me just under a nickel a day for the electricity to power it when left on full time. Since we typically turn it off when we don't expect to need it for a day or more, that's an acceptable cost. Even when it's cold, it only takes a few minutes to come up to operating temperature when you turn it on.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

This thread has been pretty well saturated, but I'll add my thoughts for what it's worth. My feeling is that the whole point of my having a Keurig (wife bought me one as a present)is to treat myself to some of the more unusual or "exotic" coffees -- which of course come at a higher price. For just making my everyday Maxwell House or Folgers, my old four cup Black & Decker drip maker does the job just fine, and is actually preferable as I like to brew a couple of cups at once.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

This post got me wondering, so I hooked it up through my Kill-A-Watt and let it run for 24 hours. The result was about 40 watt-hours, which costs me just under a nickel a day for the electricity to power it when left on full time. Since we typically turn it off when we don't expect to need it for a day or more, that's an acceptable cost. Even when it's cold, it only takes a few minutes to come up to operating temperature when you turn it on.
That's really good to know. I thought it used more and am obsessive about cutting off the machine.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before I retired I used Folgers Singles to make my 12 oz cup of coffee in the morning before work. After I finished optimizing the use of dryer sheets I tried to minimize my coffee costs while maintaining enjoy-ability. I immediately rejected K cup method for the machine costs and on going costs of cups and coffee.

I have a 12 cup Black and Decker drip coffee maker. I use the paper filters and have determined how much coffee to use with 12 oz of water to make a perfect-to-me cup of coffee. This has worked for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

We are not coffee connoisseurs, but I bought this Cafejo My French-Press with K-Cup Pod and Ground Coffee Adaptors Plus, Various Coffee Samples: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food a bit cheaper from Groupon for my son.

He mainly uses if for bulk coffee but I get K-cups for variety/treat and is very happy with it. He even reuses the reusable coffee to make a bonus cup for the fridge.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yipee!!! Wife just ordered a new Keurig Platinum coffee brewer from QVC. I think if was off "In The Kitchen With Dave" which is her favorite show. Me thinks is was a pretty good deal at $149.95 for a Platinum model, in platinum with 84 K-cups. Then you have tax and $15 shipping. I think we paid $190 for the Platinum model when they first came out. We'll be loaded with coffee since we just bought $50 worth from Green Mountain.

Tags
tryin