Refillable K Cups

Tried Keurig with various k-cups, and even had a go with the refillable. I think it is inferior to my $4 2-cup french press. I have one at home and one at work. There is cleanup, but it is pretty simple to take apart. There is no cost beyond the press you buy and the coffee. Look on Amazon and sort from lowest cost to highest. Then look at the reviews. I think I might go for travel mug/press if one of my presses breaks.

I love my coffee in the morning, but in the last year or so, I find I can't take the acidity of it. So I have tried to compensate by making it weaker (which I normally don't like)

I'm wondering what method reduces this acidity the most. I don't want to give it up. Just would like for it not to upset my stomach so much. (hense my new interest in a different coffee method)

I have always preferred the taste that comes from using good beans and a French Press. But I don't like the clean up and mess. Not sure what reduces the acidity. I have been trying different coffees from Costco.

I prefer a medium roast and my son likes a bold strong coffee, so individual is good in that sense.
You have to look at pure blends that come from certain regions. I drink the Costco stuff, but I am not an expert. I think that could be your problem, in that their blend is more acidic. I think cold-brewed coffee is also less-acidic.

I love my coffee in the morning, but in the last year or so, I find I can't take the acidity of it. So I have tried to compensate by making it weaker (which I normally don't like)

I'm wondering what method reduces this acidity the most.
Mixing in a bit of milk or cream helps buffer the acidity a bit. Also, some sources indicate decaf coffee is more likely to cause stomach upset than regular coffee.
Finally, (I can hear the groans now) there is Kava acid-neutralized instant coffee. I haven't tried it. But I drink regular instant coffee almost exclusively at home. No, it doesn't taste like real brewed coffee, but so what? I drink it because it is easy, doesn't upset my stomach, it's easy, there's no cleanup, it's easy, and it tastes good enough.

I love my coffee in the morning, but in the last year or so, I find I can't take the acidity of it. So I have tried to compensate by making it weaker (which I normally don't like) I'm wondering what method reduces this acidity the most. I don't want to give it up. Just would like for it not to upset my stomach so much. (hense my new interest in a different coffee method)
Alton Brown did a whole half-hour on coffee several years ago: Your approach probably did exactly the opposite of your intention. The fewer grounds you use, the more each bit has to give up to the drink; the first draw from grounds is mostly the flavor; the bitterness (and I guess the acidity too - Brown didn't mention it specifically) comes later. So for a less caustic cup, use more grounds, not less.

Or just use cream.

Bought my Keurig coffee maker from Sam's 3+ years ago...and it came with a refillable cup for your own personal coffee. I am the only regular coffee drinker in the household but it is absolutely GREAT to have when friends and family visit...both for clean up and variety! I have a variety of K-cups for visitors, refillable cups (several types) for "emergencies" but my personal preference is to MAKE MY OWN!

I actually save the old cups, empty them and (after drying) fill them with my personal blend (half regular and half de-caf) and strength. I use "press 'n seal" to cover the cups and usually make several dozen at a time which last me a week or more....I thought that I learned that from here but may be mistaken....

I will use the refillable cups when I'm out of my pre-made cups but find that there is definitely a taste difference (for me) and so that does not appen very often :cool:

The machine does require "de-scaling" occasionally but I have had no other problems.

I bought a Keurig at Costco about a year ago, and we have been very happy with it.

For myself, I make a pot of coffee in a more typical coffeemaker every morning, and most of the time that's enough. But every now and then, I'll want just one more cup, and it's so nice to have the instant gratification of inserting a K-cup and getting that cup immediately. You can also get a little extra by using the K-cup twice. My normal coffee mug is pretty big, and I figured out how to fill it this way. There are five size settings on the Keurig. I run it on size 4 (next to largest), then open and close the handle and immediately run it on size 1 (smallest). The combination perfectly fills my mug, and the coffee is still as strong as I want it.

I actually bought the machine for DW, who only wants an occasional cup, and it's perfect for her. She also likes the flavored coffees, and enjoys their variety.

You have to watch carefully when shopping for K-cups, in order to keep the price down to around fifty cents each. Bed Bath & Beyond is a pretty good source when you have one of their 20% coupons.

DW also found a refillable k-cup that works much better than the one that came with the Keurig. It's both easier to use and easier to clean. I don't know what the brand name is, but I think there are several on the market.

The Keurig mini doesn't use much energy at all. There's no water tank (which I prefer); you just pour in a cup of water before using. I plug mine in to use and unplug when done.

It should also be mentioned that Keurig's are energy vampires - always somewhat "on" and with water held at pre-heat temp.
I'm not sure if that's as true as it once was. We recently had to replace our Keurig with this year's model of the unit we purchased a few years ago. It is very clear that the process has been changed. Previously, you would press the brew button and the brewing happened immediately. Now, there is a delay of 8-10 seconds while something happens that sounds a lot like the water being quickly heated up. That makes we wonder if the newer units, cognizant of the concerns about energy vampiracy, aim to keep the next 12 oz of water at a lower temperature than previous year models, and makes up for that by a short, boosting of the temperature just before brewing.

Incidentally, if you want to be really concerned about such energy vampiracy, check out some of the Bunn models: The model we once had kept 72 oz of water at brew temperature, practically all the time.

I bought a single cup machine from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf last fall
Single Serve Coffee Maker and Beverage Machine | CBTL Americano

I picked this one because I occasionally like to have an espresso but also drink regular coffee in the mornings and didn't want to clutter up the counter with 2 machines. Bed Bath & Beyond carries the capsules, but I've found that reusing them per the method below works great.

Capsules Caffitaly Refillable capsule? How to refill your CBTL Cafissimo Capsules Caffitaly Capsules ... Cafissimo and CBTL

Well, I use an espresso machine, which is sort of the Neanderthal of refillable cup machines. That is, it is robust, and built for the purpose. Easy to clean and refill. Oh, and it makes all sorts of coffee and coffee based drinks, using known ingredients.

You really want to know what is in that 'mocha latte' K-cup?
INGREDIENTS:SUGAR, ALKALIZED COCOA POWDER, CREAMER (HYDROGENATED COCONUT OIL, GLUCOSE SYRUP, SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, SILICON DIOXIDE), INSTANT COFFEE, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SILICON DIOXIDE, SUCRALOSE.
Yummy!

Yummy!

DH made one of those "cappuccino" flavored k-cups for a thrifty relative. She suggested he reuse the capsule for a second cup. But I pointed out that the used capsule is completely empty, all the creepy ingredients dissolved in the first cup.

Well, I use an espresso machine, which is sort of the Neanderthal of refillable cup machines. That is, it is robust, and built for the purpose. Easy to clean and refill. Oh, and it makes all sorts of coffee and coffee based drinks, using known ingredients.

Yummy!

Those ingredients look like the remnants of a freeze dried Three Musketeers bar. :cool:

!

And still, it's not as scary looking as what regular old drip coffee is made of: A partial list of some of the acids reads like something to spray on your lawn. (From Coffee Research.Org)

cis- and trans-but-e-enoic
cis- and trans-2-methylbut- 2-enoic
3-methylbut-2-enoic
methylpropenoic
oxalic
malonic
succinic
3-methylene butanedioic
glutaric
Malic
tartaric
cis- and trans-butenedioic
cis- and trans-methylbutenedioic
methylenebutanedioic
citric
propene- 1,2,3-tricarboxylic
2-furoic
3-monocaffeoylquinic acid
4-monocaffeoylquinic acid
5-monocaffeoylquinic acid
3,4-dicaffeoylquinic acid

Last edited by a moderator:
And still, it's not as scary looking as what regular old drip coffee is made of: A partial list of some of the acids reads like something to spray on your lawn. (From Coffee Research.Org)

Well, I had a few years of college chemistry, so it'll take more than THAT to scare me. (Quite a few of those are common plant compounds, also found in nuts...)

But hydrogenated cocoanut oil as the basis for 'cream'? With phosphates (detergent) to keep it from separating out? Maybe they should just toss in some statins, just in case? I'll stick with genuwine moo cow squeezings, thanks.

No to the refillable cup

Yes to buying k-cups at Costco.

I love fresh ground coffee and make a pot of it most mornings, k cups are great for one off cups, and also great on days where just one of us has to go to work and the other is sleeping in

It should also be mentioned that Keurig's are energy vampires - always somewhat "on" and with water held at pre-heat temp.

This post got me wondering, so I hooked it up through my Kill-A-Watt and let it run for 24 hours. The result was about 40 watt-hours, which costs me just under a nickel a day for the electricity to power it when left on full time. Since we typically turn it off when we don't expect to need it for a day or more, that's an acceptable cost. Even when it's cold, it only takes a few minutes to come up to operating temperature when you turn it on.

This thread has been pretty well saturated, but I'll add my thoughts for what it's worth. My feeling is that the whole point of my having a Keurig (wife bought me one as a present)is to treat myself to some of the more unusual or "exotic" coffees -- which of course come at a higher price. For just making my everyday Maxwell House or Folgers, my old four cup Black & Decker drip maker does the job just fine, and is actually preferable as I like to brew a couple of cups at once.

This post got me wondering, so I hooked it up through my Kill-A-Watt and let it run for 24 hours. The result was about 40 watt-hours, which costs me just under a nickel a day for the electricity to power it when left on full time. Since we typically turn it off when we don't expect to need it for a day or more, that's an acceptable cost. Even when it's cold, it only takes a few minutes to come up to operating temperature when you turn it on.

That's really good to know. I thought it used more and am obsessive about cutting off the machine.

Before I retired I used Folgers Singles to make my 12 oz cup of coffee in the morning before work. After I finished optimizing the use of dryer sheets I tried to minimize my coffee costs while maintaining enjoy-ability. I immediately rejected K cup method for the machine costs and on going costs of cups and coffee.

I have a 12 cup Black and Decker drip coffee maker. I use the paper filters and have determined how much coffee to use with 12 oz of water to make a perfect-to-me cup of coffee. This has worked for me.

Yipee!!! Wife just ordered a new Keurig Platinum coffee brewer from QVC. I think if was off "In The Kitchen With Dave" which is her favorite show. Me thinks is was a pretty good deal at $149.95 for a Platinum model, in platinum with 84 K-cups. Then you have tax and $15 shipping. I think we paid $190 for the Platinum model when they first came out. We'll be loaded with coffee since we just bought $50 worth from Green Mountain.

Back
Top Bottom