Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Despite fifteen years of Catholic school I only scored a ten . My Mother would be so sad !
Don't feel alone:

Quote:
Researchers from the independent Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life phoned more than 3,400 Americans and asked them 32 questions about the Bible, Christianity and other world religions, famous religious figures and the constitutional principles governing religion in public life.

On average, people who took the survey answered half the questions incorrectly, and many flubbed even questions about their own faith.

Those who scored the highest were atheists and agnostics, as well as two religious minorities: Jews and Mormons. The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like age and racial differences.
Can You Pass a Basic Religion Test? - NYTimes.com

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got 10 out of 15 correct.

I love pop quizes. Makes me feel like I'm back in grade school.......

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
OK, who knew 'The First Great Awakening' without guessing?
Knew it cold, thanks to one of the great Teaching Company courses I took a few years ago.

An easy 15/15 for me.
Of course, that seems to be expected, since I've moved over the years from Catholic to Deist to my devout agnosticism today.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Born Jewish, never religious, but an atheist since age 12, I was surprised I got as many as 9 right! Made some good guesses LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I think the world would be a better place without religions.
The ice is getting pretty thin here. Tread carefully.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Not me, but I got 15/15 anyway. On 15 it was easy to eliminate Graham (since I had never heard of the other two), and leave a 50/50 guess.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #27

Quote:
15/15 for me. I did know the answer to the "Great Awakening", but I had to guess on the second question about the Supreme Court decisions.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
13/15 here -- missed the Jewish Sabbath and Great Awakening questions. I think there must be a moral or message in how well or poorly someone or other scores. But ... what is it?
*********spoiler alert*****************

read no further before taking the quiz, I'm going to give away one of the answers

That one about the Sabbath is kind of a trick question. As I understand it, in Jewish reckoning, days run from sunset to sunset, so the Sabbath starts at sunset on what the rest of us call Friday evening. But is it fair for the quiz to say that Friday is the right answer? Maybe us goyim are the ones who have it backwards and days really do begin at sunset, which would mean the correct answer is that the Sabbath starts on Saturday, because Saturday starts at sunset, not at twelve midnight.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I knew it because I studied Jonathan Edwards in colonial american history.

Ha
Isn't he the guy who did this one?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
That one about the Sabbath is kind of a trick question. As I understand it, in Jewish reckoning, days run from sunset to sunset, so the Sabbath starts at sunset on what the rest of us call Friday evening. But is it fair for the quiz to say that Friday is the right answer? Maybe us goyim are the ones who have it backwards and days really do begin at sunset, which would mean the correct answer is that the Sabbath starts on Saturday, because Saturday starts at sunset, not at twelve midnight.
I would argue that "Friday" and "Saturday" are secular constructions, which run from midnight to midnight. There are 7 Jewish days which run from sunset to sunset, but they do not IMO correspond to Friday or Saturday. For a start, depending on the time of the year and your latitude, one day can be 5 minutes longer or shorter than the next even in temperate zones(*).

It's like "our" 12 months: the Islamic calendar has 12 months of 29 or 30 days, which is why Ramadan is about 11 days earlier each year; these months do not correspond to the secular months which the West has used for 2000 years or so and which the International Standards Organisation has formalised.

With Islamic months or Jewish days, there's no reason why the religious definition can't coexist with the secular definition, as long as you don't try to use both at once to run civil aviation.

It's pretty funny seeing various religions twisting the "7 days in a week thing" to suit their story. The reason we have 7 days in the week is that the Babylonians named a day for everything which they could see moving in the sky, which was the Sun (Sunday), the Moon (Monday), and five planets: Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn (Saturday). In English, the names of the days which had previously been named after the first four of those planets were replaced by words inherited by the Vikings (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday are all named after Norse gods), but in languages from further south such as French and Italian, you can still find them, eg in Italian "martedi", "mercoledi", "giovedi", and "venerdi". Funnily enough, in super-Catholic non-Jewish Italy, Saturday is "sabato"...

(*) Of course, at the poles there is only one day per year, but hey, the rules were written assuming a flat earth. All religious calendars break down spectacularly north/south of the Arctic/Antarctic circles.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #31

14/15, with a correct guess on the Great Awakening. It's tidy to see how well overall results correlate with educational level (populations, not individuals!).

Coach
Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #32

14/15. Lots of lucky guessing. I´m a non practising Catholic. Like most Spaniards.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #33

11 I guessed a few.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #34

i got 12. i would consider myself very religious, there was even a question about my religion in there...

i missed nirvana (Despite having dali lama's autobiography and another book that just talked about it...oops), the great awakening and the jewish sabbath...oh well.

thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I missed the one on suffering for God. I guessed Abraham because he was willing to slaughter his kid for God. I forgot about the suffering of Job. Still, I beat most of the religious crowd.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I missed the one on suffering for God. I guessed Abraham because he was willing to slaughter his kid for God. I forgot about the suffering of Job. Still, I beat most of the religious crowd.
I know nothing about Job. In fact, to me Job is something I and many others in this forum used to have but were glad to give it up!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
That one about the Sabbath is kind of a trick question. As I understand it, in Jewish reckoning, days run from sunset to sunset, so the Sabbath starts at sunset on what the rest of us call Friday evening. But is it fair for the quiz to say that Friday is the right answer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I would argue that "Friday" and "Saturday" are secular constructions, which run from midnight to midnight. There are 7 Jewish days which run from sunset to sunset, but they do not IMO correspond to Friday or Saturday. For a start, depending on the time of the year and your latitude, one day can be 5 minutes longer or shorter than the next even in temperate zones(*).

It's like "our" 12 months: the Islamic calendar has 12 months of 29 or 30 days, which is why Ramadan is about 11 days earlier each year; these months do not correspond to the secular months which the West has used for 2000 years or so and which the International Standards Organisation has formalised.

With Islamic months or Jewish days, there's no reason why the religious definition can't coexist with the secular definition, as long as you don't try to use both at once to run civil aviation.

It's pretty funny seeing various religions twisting the "7 days in a week thing" to suit their story. The reason we have 7 days in the week is that the Babylonians named a day for everything which they could see moving in the sky, which was the Sun (Sunday), the Moon (Monday), and five planets: Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn (Saturday). In English, the names of the days which had previously been named after the first four of those planets were replaced by words inherited by the Vikings (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday are all named after Norse gods), but in languages from further south such as French and Italian, you can still find them, eg in Italian "martedi", "mercoledi", "giovedi", and "venerdi". Funnily enough, in super-Catholic non-Jewish Italy, Saturday is "sabato"...

(*) Of course, at the poles there is only one day per year, but hey, the rules were written assuming a flat earth. All religious calendars break down spectacularly north/south of the Arctic/Antarctic circles.
Way over-complication. Since anyone who knows any practicing Jewish people are aware that they start observing their Sabbath on Friday at sunset, then the answer to the quiz is absolutely right. No question.

14/15. Missed the Jonathon Edwards guess.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

15/15. No guesses
Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

13/15, missed the same as GregLee.

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

15/15, with a guess on the great awakening. Must have missed that day in history class.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Closed Thread