Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
15/15, with a guess on the great awakening. Must have missed that day in history class.

Fortunately, we are retired so we can carve a little of the time out of our days usually spent drinking, overeating and having sex to read some educational books. I plan to start the next February 29. Can I rely on you to join this movement?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I missed the one on suffering for God. I guessed Abraham because he was willing to slaughter his kid for God. I forgot about the suffering of Job. Still, I beat most of the religious crowd.
I made the same mistake. 13/15 correct. Not surprisingly I missed 2 biblical questions, the other of which was the 10 commandments question.

The non-christian centric questions were extremely easy in my opinion. If you have any friends/colleagues of the other world religions, then these non-christian centric questions should be no-brainers.

Jonathan Edwards - I recall learning about him in US history lessons. That's one you just have to know I guess.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fifteen out of 15. I guessed on the Great Awakening. I'm a religion hater. I took a class as a freshman in college called "The World's Religions" and got an A. When the teacher asked about our backgrounds in class and I was open about my contempt of religion, she asked "Then why are you here?" I told her it was a case of "Know thine enemy." She laughed.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Fifteen out of 15. I guessed on the Great Awakening. I'm a religion hater. I took a class as a freshman in college called "The World's Religions" and got an A. When the teacher asked about our backgrounds in class and I was open about my contempt of religion, she asked "Then why are you here?" I told her it was a case of "Know thine enemy." She laughed.
Maybe you are like many others. You find mythology interesting.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I guessed on the Great Awakening. I'm a religion hater.
Mike D.
Mods, what other group are we allowed to hate on this board? It would seem that saying one is a "religion hater" equates to saying that one hates Christians, Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, Hindus, Baha'i, Mormons, Jejovah's Witnesses, Shintos, Confucianists, Taoists and various other groups I have forgotten-as a religion exists only in its body of believers or practitioners.

If possible, I would like a list of the groups on which we have open season with no bag limits.

Ha
Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

14/15, I guessed wrong on the Great Awakening. I was raised Catholic, and currently consider myself agnostic with a leaning toward pantheism.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It would seem that saying one is a "religion hater" equates to saying that one hates Christians, Jews, Muslims . . .
I disagree. There's a big difference between "hating" an ideology and hating individuals who practice it.

After all . . .
"Hate the sin, love the sinner . . ."

Is there anyone who doesn't "hate" some of the things done in the name of religion, politics, belief in ethnic superiority/purity, etc?

Now, whether this comment is appropriate for the forum or not is a different issue.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think I hear a hog rooting around this thread ...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I know you're a moderator emeritus, but every time I see that you've posted to a thread like this one I check to see if it has the little lock icon...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Mods, what other group are we allowed to hate on this board? It would seem that saying one is a "religion hater" equates to saying that one hates Christians, Jews, Muslims, Bhuddists, Hindus, Baha'i, Mormons, Jejovah's Witnesses, Shintos, Confucianists, Taoists and various other groups I have forgotten-as a religion exists only in its body of believers or practitioners.

If possible, I would like a list of the groups on which we have open season with no bag limits.
I think we should be able to hate any idea, but no people; and be big enough to distinguish the idea from the people who hold it (or, in most cases when it comes to religion, whose parents held it).
Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll start:

Annuity salesmen
Whole Life Insurance salesmen
Financial Advisors
Spendthrifts
Dirty Market Timers
Spammers
Those ideologically opposed to the concept of ER

Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:

Ha
Perhaps the OP wasn't targeting specific religions but rather religion as a concept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Always a comforting sound....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'll start:

Annuity salesmen
Whole Life Insurance salesmen
Financial Advisors
Spendthrifts
Dirty Market Timers
Spammers
Those ideologically opposed to the concept of ER

Remember - it's not about who you hate, but instead, about how you express that hate.

^
^

Full disclosure: That (above) is the reason I am a lapsed Quaker.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I dislike (hate?) all religions that want to inflict their beliefs on me.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #54
Administrator

Consensus of the moderator team is that this thread's time has come....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Look! Up in the sky!

It's a bird...

It's a plane...

No, it's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying porky.jpg (6.6 KB, 71 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread