Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I stocked up on 100 watt bulbs and have enough to last my life if I live to 90. I have some 40 and 60 watts but only use them in a closet and after 14 years the originals are still working.

I use 1 soft white CFL (NEVER buy day light they are ghastly blue) of the highest wattage where it burns for several hours each evening in winter and doesn't add more heat to the location is summer. Other than that 1 CFL they can toss all the CFL's into the ocean as far as I care.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

GE introduces 'hybrid' bulb with both halogen and CFL elements, instant-on meets efficiency

"instant on" CFL that uses a tiny halogen bulb as a transition, powering off as the CFL comes up. Sure these won't cost much/bulb.....

Home Despot has 60W bulbs for about $0.32/bulb, really need to pick up another 10-20 packs or so.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
...............Home Despot has 60W bulbs for about $0.32/bulb, really need to pick up another 10-20 packs or so.
Reminds me of back in the 1980's when another, older engineer said he was buying a new truck right away because all future models would have electronic engine controls and he wanted to be sure to get a new one before he got stuck with an undependable, computerized vehicle.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My guess is a furnace is quite a bit more efficient than a light bulb for heating...
I grew up with electric baseboard heat. Never got yelled at for leaving the lights on in the winter. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Here is a comparison using all comparable GE low cost versions (Home Depot pricing), using all their published data assuming 15,000 hours use - trying for apples to apples. We don't miss incandescent bulbs at all, and we really like the one LED in our kitchen A LOT, there will be more in our future as they do come on quicker and provide "nicer" light in our view. YMMV

GE DescriptionWattsLifeQty UsedCost eaKWH $KWH UsedBulb CostElectricityTotal CostBreakeven *
Dbl Life 60W Soft White Incand 6-pk6020007.5$0.73$0.10900$5.46$90.00$95.46na
Gen Purp 15W Soft White CFL 2-pk1580001.875$4.99$0.10225$9.35$22.50$31.85@950 hrs
Reveal 11W A19 LED11150001$13.97$0.10165$13.97$16.50$30.47@2700 hrs
* Where full cost of (more expensive CFL/LED) bulb is offset by savings in electricity. It's not necessary (at all) to outlive the bulb...
In my bathroom fixture that uses four 60w bulbs, I generally run two CFL and two incandescent. The BEST CFL bulbs I've tried lasts a couple weeks longer than the incandescent. Most don't last as long. The short on/off cycles kill CFLs in no time. The CFLs in my living room that are on for 4-8 hours a day last longer.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Actually I prefer CFL bulbs in hallways and closets most. I get good quality ones that get up to full lumins fast. When on I don't mind as much if the wife or kids forget to turn them off since they are such low wattage.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak View Post
I.....
In my bathroom fixture that uses four 60w bulbs, I generally run two CFL and two incandescent. The BEST CFL bulbs I've tried lasts a couple weeks longer than the incandescent. Most don't last as long. The short on/off cycles kill CFLs in no time. The CFLs in my living room that are on for 4-8 hours a day last longer.
In the apartments we've found that mixing CFL and incandescent kills the CFLs - particularly in enclosed units. The CFLs don't do well with high heat. The twisty bulbs also seem to do less well in base up applications. I'll just keep plugging in the cheap bulbs where I don't pay for the juice and can't control the use.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak View Post
I grew up with electric baseboard heat. Never got yelled at for leaving the lights on in the winter. :-)
Yes, that was my point. If your heating is run on electricity, light and non-light heat cost the same. A 100W light bulb gets you 99.9W or so of heat, with only a few photons flying out of the window. But clearly a gas, oil, or wood furnace is a cheaper way to purchase kilojoules/BTUs.

I don't know how many American homes have electric heating, but quite a few European ones do, especially in southern Europe where they have shorter heating seasons and may not install a complete boiler-and radiators system. Logically, homes in those countries ought probably to use American-style forced-air systems that can double as air conditioning, but A/C in houses is still rare in Europe. (A few years back, we owned probably the only house in France with forced-air heating within a 50-mile radius; the owner had spent time in the US and decided he wanted this in his house, although he never got round to adding A/C either.)
Old 10-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I adopted CFLs early, going so far back I cannot remember. Got to, as I live in a place where it reaches 120F (49C) in the summer, and the electric usage reaches 140KWhr/day. Can't afford to heat the house anymore than I have to. I already built an outside counter/electric cooktop in the covered patio for summer cooking to avoid heating up the interior of the house.

The early CFLs had a greenish-yellowish tint, but I endured it for the reason stated above. Newer ones, I have no problem with. Old ones did not last long either. Newer ones have been there for 3-4 years.

I have not bought any LED for the home, but might try one to see what it's like. The price is down to $11 for some kind of bulbs, from some web info.

I did convert most lights inside my motorhome to LEDs, by buying the LED capsules on eBay and making my own heatsink assembly and driver electronics with dimming circuit to fit inside existing light fixtures. Cost was $4 for each LED capsule (10W, in an array of 3x3 LED elements), and around $5 for electronics. That was 3 years ago. This was so I could boondock.

I just looked on eBay, and the price of a 10W LED capsule (the size of your thumbnail) is now down to $1.50 (single qty.) with free shipping. Output is 800-900 lumens, which is about the same as a 60W incandescent bulb. These things are getting cheaper quickly.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Darn, my memory is shot! It was only in early 2012 when I did the homebrew LED lights for my motorhome. The post is here.

And I paid $6 for each LED capsule assembly then, which is now $1.50.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #50

I just finished replacing all of my CFL ceiling can lights with LED units and love them. Bought them from LED Waves and they were simple to install and put out beautiful light. They are expensive at $66 each but are supposed to last about 40,000 hours which is over 4.5 years of constant use.

I hate the CFL bulbs in regular lamps as they just don't seem to last as long as advertised even though I'm buying the name brand. Here in Mexico there are virtually no regular bulbs sold.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I just finished replacing all of my CFL ceiling can lights with LED units and love them. ...
I should add that one place where I absolutely get a benefit from CFLs is in the can lights fixtures that are in our upstairs bathrooms. These are the ones that say you can't put insulation above them, as they can over-heat (and they have a temperature cut-off switch for safety). I hate the idea of these un-insulated holes in the ceiling, so I put the CFLs in there, which are much cooler, and went ahead and insulated on top. They aren't used enough to get a payback from the light, but probably from reduced A/C and heat.

Quote:
I hate the CFL bulbs in regular lamps as they just don't seem to last as long as advertised even though I'm buying the name brand.
I also seemed to go through a lot of them. I don't know if they're getting better, or I've just been weeding out the bad ones over time, but they seem to be holding up reasonably well for me now.

The light quality is an issue for some, I see the difference, but it doesn't bother me so much. Depends on the person and the application. I have one CFL near my computer, which is in a kind of dark corner of the room, so it's on a lot, and I turn it on/off a lot. I'm on my second one, and I estimated that the first made it to its rated life. I expect/hope the LEDs will be even better.

-ERD50
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
GE introduces 'hybrid' bulb with both halogen and CFL elements, instant-on meets efficiency

"instant on" CFL that uses a tiny halogen bulb as a transition, powering off as the CFL comes up. Sure these won't cost much/bulb.....

Home Despot has 60W bulbs for about $0.32/bulb, really need to pick up another 10-20 packs or so.
I think $25 bucks worth that I will buy soon, will take me to the age where I won't care anymore.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I just finished replacing all of my CFL ceiling can lights with LED units and love them. Bought them from LED Waves and they were simple to install and put out beautiful light. They are expensive at $66 each but are supposed to last about 40,000 hours which is over 4.5 years of constant use...
You've got to hold a gun to my head to make me shell out $66 for one LED light.

Perhaps I should get into a business making these lights. But I guess I need to buy one exactly like yours first to see why it would cost so much. There might be something I do not know about.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You've got to hold a gun to my head to make me shell out $66 for one LED light. ...
The thing about LEDs, and some other 'green tech', is that the prices are dropping as fast/faster than the annual savings. So it may very well pay to wait, unless there are some other overwhelming needs/wants affecting the decision.

That's one reason behind my desire to stock up on Edison-era bulbs, in 5-10 years the options may be totally acceptable to me.

-ERD50
Old 10-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You've got to hold a gun to my head to make me shell out $66 for one LED light..........
Our local Costco has LED bulbs, 3 for about $20. So, the price is falling fast. LED flashlights are $1 at Dollar Tree.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Well, the LED flashlights are simple (low power), but home LED lights and in fact even 12V RV lights need some electronics to regulate the current. Another complication is that high-power LEDs need a heatsink, else would not last at high temperatures. Because the LED efficacy is only about the same as CFL's, they still need to dissipate a bit of heat.

Still, for $66 a light, there's good money to be made. The Costco deal for LED at 3 for $20, I am going to check out.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #57

Quote:
You've got to hold a gun to my head to make me shell out $66 for one LED light.

Perhaps I should get into a business making these lights. But I guess I need to buy one exactly like yours first to see why it would cost so much. There might be something I do not know about.
These were not just the bulb but the entire can fixture with LED bulb sealed inside. And, yes, they were expensive but I doubt I'll live long enough to replace them with a 40,000 hour life.

The old can lights had a clear lens and dirt and dead bugs would accumulate in them necessitating me taking them down and cleaning them regularly. The new LED sealed units do away with that chore and generate virtually no heat in the summer so our AC bill stays lower too.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

That is not bad at all then, as I recall paying perhaps $30 for the empty common recessed can more than 15 years ago.

The cans I used in my room addition were nailed to the ceiling joists, then drywalled over, so I do not know how they can be easily replaced with the new type.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

DH and I have already stockpiled--just as art museums have.