Join Early Retirement Today

Reminder to teens about staying off other people's lawns
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reminder to teens about staying off other people's lawns

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/toilet_paper_caper
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Reminder to teens about staying off other people's lawns
Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A bed and breakfast on our block has a nice fancy wood fence with interesting shaped slats.* Another neighbor happened to be looking out of the window and saw a guy tearing slats off of the fence.* He walked away with a bunch of the slats.* She called the police and followed the guy, who lives a couple of blocks down.* She then told our B & B neighbor what happened.

The police never showed.* It took a couple of weeks before the police came and talked to anyone.* This was after many call.* *As far as our neighbor knows, the police hasn't talked to the bad guy.*

Not important enough.*

I think we have to jump on petty offenses.* To let them go starts the decline of neighborhoods.*

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #3

good work on her part!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #4

The police never showed. It took a couple of weeks before the police came and talked to anyone. This was after many call. As far as our neighbor knows, the police hasn't talked to the bad guy.

Best way to get the cops to come quicker in a situation like that is to call 'em back and say "on second thought, no need to hurry, we shot the thief" At least, that was a punchline in an old joke. In real life the police may not be so amused.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be interested to know what level of damage was caused. I think 3 years probation for TPing a tree is a bit harsh, but it sounds like they damaged a car, too.

Quick confession, when I was 16 me and some buddies played a prank on another kid by dumping two bags of steer manure into his pool at night. Would I get 3 years for that?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Felony vandalism isnt simply just tping a tree. Looks like they did up two cars and some other things. Probation isnt really a big deal. Im suprised they wont get any time in the juevy lockup.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Quick confession, when I was 16 me and some buddies played a prank on another kid by dumping two bags of steer manure into his pool at night. Would I get 3 years for that?
Two questions:

1. Do you know the statute of limitations for a poop-in-a-pool offense in the State of California? Until you do, I'd suggest you not say anything more.
2. Are you sure it was "steer" manure and not just ordinary cowsh*t? Can you tell the difference?

Sounds like bullsh*t to me.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Two questions:

1. Do you know the statute of limitations for a poop-in-a-pool offense in the State of California? Until you do, I'd suggest you not say anything more.
2. Are you sure it was "steer" manure and not just ordinary cowsh*t? Can you tell the difference?

Sounds like bullsh*t to me.

Baby Ruths would have been so much easier...and the only crime would have been wasting a good candy bar ...if the officer had hauled you back to the scene ..you could have picked one up and bit in to it to prove it was just a candy bar...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Caddyshack!

It's been 15+ years, so I think I'm o.k.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I'd be interested to know what level of damage was caused. I think 3 years probation for TPing a tree is a bit harsh, but it sounds like they damaged a car, too.

Car vandalism in Singapore will get you a caning. Too harsh? You don't see too much car vandalism in Singapore.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Car vandalism in Singapore will get you a caning. Too harsh? You don't see too much car vandalism in Singapore.
Jay - what about candy bars in the pool....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheMystic
Jay - what about candy bars in the pool....
Don't know, it depends on whether that's considered actual vandalism. Intentionally ruining the paint on a car is vandalism, and ought to be punished by more than just restitution and 20 hours of "community service".
Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #13

Heck, I my old neck of the woods they could get up to 5 years in prison. The TPing and littering isn't a big deal, but when it goes to the point that they are damaging and breaking things then it becomes serious. I know I would hate to have to fix my stuff because some bozo decided it would be funny to vandelize it.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my old neck of the woods, trespassing would likely get your ass full of buckshot...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
In my old neck of the woods, trespassing would likely get your ass full of buckshot...
Didn't they also used to load their shotgun shells with rock salt? I bet getting shot with that stuff burns like hell.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #16

About 5 or 6 years ago, one of the neighborhood yard apes, who was about 6 or 7, went onto another neighbor's property with his wagon, and started loading up on garden gnomes and other knick-knacks. Luckily the neighbors came home. The wife went off on the kid, and told him not to ever come onto her property or take anything off of it again. She made him unload the wagon and sent him on his way.

Soon thereafter, they found every window in their garage door smashed. They called the cops, but I don't think anything ever became of it. I remember hearing it second-hand that one of the cops said "C'mon, he's only six! (or seven or whatever)"

Luckily, these people are long gone now. They were always on thin ice financially, but things got really rough in late 2002. I remember the house sat vacant that winter. It went on the market around May of 2003. I looked at it, thinking it would be cool to buy it, as it was right behind my Grandma's house, and this was before I ended up moving in across the street from her.

Those people gutted that house. The kitchen was torn apart. The bathroom was also torn apart, and the septic tank was so backed up that the toilet bowl was full of, well, you know. It had an enclosed porch on one side that had bags of trash that were rotting, and leaving a horrible smell. They even went so far as to rip out all of the baseboards, I guess for the copper piping. They left a few sex toys, too. I guess the husband wasn't fitting the bill for wifey anymore and she was moving onto bigger and better things.

Like parents like kids, I guess. These parents had no respect whatsoever for other people's property. I told them on countless occasions to stay out of my grandmother's yard. One of them even drove an ATV around back there one day after a good rainstorm and made a nice mess. And when you'd tell them not to do something, the first thing out of their mouth (parents AND the kids) would be, well where am I supposed to ride it/play with it/shoot it/etc? Ummm, not my problem, people! But someplace OTHER than my grandmother's back yard!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like meth addicts to me.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

One very good reason I don't rent out houses anymore!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #19

One thing that pissed me off about these people was that when it came time to get out of that house, they didn't get foreclosed on. They actually got the mortgage company to buy it from them! At least on public record it shows a sale to the mortgage company for $129K. They paid $125K for it in 2000. Now under normal circumstances I'd hate to see someone foreclosed on but these people were such a blight on humanity that they BEGGED for some comeuppance!

I wonder what kind of juvenile delinquents the kids have turned into by now? And I wonder if the husband's back in jail?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
One thing that pissed me off about these people was that when it came time to get out of that house, they didn't get foreclosed on.* They actually got the mortgage company to buy it from them!* At least on public record it shows a sale to the mortgage company for $129K.* They paid $125K for it in 2000.* Now under normal circumstances I'd hate to see someone foreclosed on but these people were such a blight on humanity that they BEGGED for some comeuppance!

I wonder what kind of juvenile delinquents the kids have turned into by now?* And I wonder if the husband's back in jail?
Might have been a deed in lieu of foreclosure which in some places can look like a sale when you look at the public records.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote