Join Early Retirement Today

Remodeling kitchen, round 2
Old 01-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Remodeling kitchen, round 2

Back in March I asked about remodeling kitchens.* You guys really came through.* Here is the original thread (with pictures of my kitchen as of now).
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=2189.0

So to repeat myself - It's not happening until September.* That's how booked these people are.* We're going with Corian (I'm scared of marble - besides, you can sand Corian if you make a booboo), custom made cabinents from Honeybrook, top of the line Armstrong flooring (haven't picked that yet) and, yes, the tin ceiling.

We are turning the refridgerator against the outside wall (in line with the sink).* And it's going to have French doors!* I'm very excited.* My husband is in charge of the stove.* He's thinking flattop, but we have quite a collection of cast iron.* I've heard both ways whether you can use it or not.* He's already ordered a set of Look pans (he got a good deal at Amazon).

On the wall across from the sink, where the trashcan is, we're putting in a mini-counter - 7 1/2 inches deep with a matching cupboard above.* It'll be the same width as the bookcase (have to keep it because husband's father built it).* We'll move the phone there and put small appliances like coffee grinders and the toaster there.* Underneath will house our extensive collection of vinegars, oils and hot sauces.* Above will be glasses.

On that same wall by the present phone, the cabinent will be wider and go almost to the floor.* The present cabinent has lots of inaccessible space, so the doors will also be wider.

Well, that's it for now.* We haven't bought any appliances, the tin ceiling materials or any light fixtures (except the ones under the cabinents).* So please chime in with any suggestions or horror stories.

We really like the group we are working with - Cameo Kitchens.* The kitchen designer was competent, knew all about plumbing, electrical stuff, etc, so my husband was much more at ease about the whole thing.

So that's my story.

arrete
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Remodeling kitchen, round 2
Old 01-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update arrete. I am hoping for in progress photos.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I redid the kitchen a few years ago. Yes, you may have to wait a time to get them in. One couple that was in while we were deciding stuff ripped out stuff before they were even on the list :P We have a stove and a utility tub in the basement and used as our temp. kitchen. Good luck, I am glad it is over for us. We went with oak cabinets, laminate countertops, and good vinyl floor. A lot of work!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:28 PM   #4

We had some McMansion friends decide to take out the new Corian in the house they moved into because they didn't like the color. I said "I'll take it," but it turned out it would have cost more to rework it than to start from scratch, so it all went to the dump.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We had some McMansion friends decide to take out the new Corian in the house they moved into because they didn't like the color.
I told our designer we were both deficient in the color department.* I know what colors I like, but I'm not so good about matching.* So she is to tell us when what we choose is horrible.* She was going to say thing like "Don't you think that's a little too pink?"* I said to just straight out tell us that it was the wrong color.

We have floor color picking plus (gulp) 1/3 down on the project next week.* I'll have to remind her that we need guidance.

arrete - I told her I'd have to bring my "other" checkbook this time.* The one that's attached to my money market fund.* :
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not trying to steal any thunder here, but I am in the process of a whole lower level remodel and master bath remodel. Remodeling is NOT for the faint at heart.

Continue on.

Good luck, Arrete. I am also looking forward to your photos.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #7

No, remodeling is not for the faint of heart or checkbook. I've done every room in my house in the past 20 years but it was well worth it in the long run. Good luck,

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #8

Kitchen remodels are darn pricey. We tried to keep the budget within reason when we did our remodel last year. Mind you, we have a teeny kitchen. We refaced our cabinets, purchased all new appliances, new sink with laminate countertops and vinyl floors.. Total price = approx $15k :P
Old 01-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny, when we redid my wifes house we did EVERYTHING else except the kitchen. Tore the entire exterior and roof off, tore out the bathroom to the studs (and replaced some of those), new carpet and textured walls.

Didnt touch a thing in the kitchen.

Maybe that was the secret to the success...leave the biggest bang for your buck remodel room alone and do the rest. Oh well, we paid under $80k for the house, put $40 into it and sold it for $240k. With a new kitchen I might have gotten another 5k.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ha ... we're going through this as well. Started so innocently, with a new microwave, then dishwasher, then stove ... yesterday, a new refrigerator. Wallpaper on the way, new cabinet pulls, tile backsplash ... and silestone countertops (see www.silestone.com) - made of quartz, and supposedly more durable than granite - we purchased from Home Depot.

Should be done in about 30 days. While I say it's for DW, I'm really looking forward to it as well ... we've never had one of those nice kitchens, and we're in good shape on our savings goals. So, soldier on!

Best of luck.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:55 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Watch out. My wifes remodel started out at some new bathroom cabinets and maybe some new windows...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote