Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Remodeling Quote.............:(
Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
$30,000 and $66,000 are the same materials:

30 year dimensional roof
steel or aluminum siding
All trim
14 Low e glass windows, flip and wash, double hung
Normal patio door (Wood) with screen door (not French doors)
Seamless gutters with leaf guard and 4 inch downspouts
Tear-off of course
Your windows, materials and base labor (no profit) should run around 6-8k, depending on the quality of the windows and complexity of the install. Best windows and a lot of rot repair, maybe 8-10k worst case. Since he's also residing you, that simplifies the job. 9-12 k with profit would be fairly rational.

For siding with vinyl, you're probably looking at around 4-5k base, maybe 5-6k with hardi. Without seeing your house its tough to say, thats rough numbers for a 2000 square foot home with nothing weird about it. So 7k with profit for vinyl and a thousand or two more for hardi. That includes the trim work.

Roofwise, for a 30 year with tear off and new metal on a basic 2000 square foot house, you're looking at about 6500-7k for labor and materials. Maybe 9-10k with profit. That includes gutters.

So you should be looking at 16-17k minimum for cost, 25 for decent retail pricing, plus your patio door, which should be a couple of grand tops.

So your 30k quote is a little high but in the ballpark, the 60k quote should have a photocopy of the contractors hand with his middle finger extended watermarked on every page.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Your windows, materials and base labor (no profit) should run around 6-8k, depending on the quality of the windows and complexity of the install. Best windows and a lot of rot repair, maybe 8-10k worst case. Since he's also residing you, that simplifies the job. 9-12 k with profit would be fairly rational.

For siding with vinyl, you're probably looking at around 4-5k base, maybe 5-6k with hardi. Without seeing your house its tough to say, thats rough numbers for a 2000 square foot home with nothing weird about it. So 7k with profit for vinyl and a thousand or two more for hardi. That includes the trim work.

Roofwise, for a 30 year with tear off and new metal on a basic 2000 square foot house, you're looking at about 6500-7k for labor and materials. Maybe 9-10k with profit. That includes gutters.

So you should be looking at 16-17k minimum for cost, 25 for decent retail pricing, plus your patio door, which should be a couple of grand tops.

So your 30k quote is a little high but in the ballpark, the 60k quote should have a photocopy of the contractors hand with his middle finger extended watermarked on every page.
I found the contractor we're going to use. His quote was $6000 for the roof, $2000 for gutters with 4" inch downspouts and leaf guard, $10,000 for siding with tear-off, TYVEK, 1 inch styrofoam insulation with taped edges, all trim on house, soffits and fascia wrapped, and even wood trim around the windows.

He said he can do ANY window within reason for about $400 each. He said since we're going with the replacement windows, to wait until the siding's done to see if it helps with the drafts we feel around them before spending the money. Also, he is doing a nice patio door for $1900. The windows will be $5700 if we do them all.

He has been in business for 20 years, has a clean BBB, and is a NARI member. Also, I got a testimonial from someone who had similar work done and they said he's a perfectionist............

So, six quotes later, I'm done.............

My neighbors on either side of me signed up with the "stormchaser folks" who blew into town after the hail storm. They both got roofs and siding done, and the velocity at whcih a 4-man crew did the work was astounding........ :P In comparison, my neighbor one street over got the complete job done, and the crew was there 5 days custom cutting around vents and things............. Something tells me they got a better quality job done. I got a bid from him also, but it was close to $30,000.

DW is still fretting over color combinations, but that's her territory, a place where I don't tread...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote