Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Remodelling kitchens
Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Louis my Cajun buddy has moved to Bay ST. Louis - but he thought the sports channel program on flyfishing the rigs was a bit of a stretch. He also carves wooden duck decoys for a retirement hobby.

Flyfishing around oil rigs? - perhaps some of Cut-Throat's 'would' work.

Anyway - nice picture.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Look at him showin' off his fancy dan store bought fly storage case...

I'm a s'posin' you also wear store bought shoes and that unnerware stuff that wimmen wears too...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Cut-Throat, those flies are beautiful, and displayed on that nice oak plank!

I think you should give us some kind of picture at least once a week.

Mikey
Old 02-26-2005, 06:40 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Wow, nice collection. All I have are some purple worms for fishing in small ponds. All I need with my Zebco 33. LOL Of course golf is my passion. I do go fishing when my buddy has a cooler full of beer.

Hmmm. Probably store bought beer.

bUM 8)
Old 02-26-2005, 07:36 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Other kitchen ideas (part 1 of 2)

Arrete,

Sorry, another home-improvement project has put me way behind on posts. Seems like the board is getting a little busy, but it looks like this thread has a life of its own.

First step might be to try Home Depot. Their contractor-selection criteria weed out all the marginal guys and have brought down everyone's prices. They'll also come into your kitchen, measure everything (now mistakes are their fault), digitize it, and help you to try kitchen ideas on their modeling software. Just the consulting & design is worth the price of weeding out bad ideas that seemed good until you saw them on a large color monitor.

Here's my other opinions. I'm full of them, but it's your kitchen!
Counters:
Granite-- very nice IF sealed against water or other splashes. Big bucks. Cut-Throat's look great.
Silestone-- relatively new, very smooth, all the impact of granite with less maintenance. Slightly less expensive. More "regular" than granite's occasional imperfection (both have their advantages).
Corian-- becoming a popular commodity with good prices. Good point about hot items, but I've never put a hot pot on a cool counter.
Tile/grout-- never again.
Soapstone-- sucks. Literally; requires extensive sealing to avoid staining. Used to be popular before granite & silestone became affordable.
Formica-- amazing variety at a very good price.

Cabinets: If your existing boxes are sound then you'll save a lot of money by refacing them. One quality option is rigid thermo-foil ("RTF") from specialty cabinetmakers, essentially a high-tech contact paper on the boxes with the same coating vacuum-sealed on new doors. Waterproof and can be made to look like any wood grain. Very affordable.

If the existing boxes have any problems then trash them and start over. Worth the price & hassle compared to trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You'll gain great shelving choices too.

Drawer glides & cabinet hinges-- spend lots of money here. Consider the cabinets with the pull-out shelves. Get drawer glides with stainless-steel hardwear & ball-bearing rollers.

Floors:
Tile-- Love it in hot weather. Hate it whenever I drop glass. Luckily my spouse has volunteered to clean the grout, which also sucks and should be sealed.
Wood-- has come a long way, especially with slab heating systems, and gives glass a bounce.
Carpet-- If you're bold (and have cold winters) then a fancy stain-hiding indoor/outdoor carpet pattern eliminates most of tile's problems. But I haven't seen this since the early 1970s.

Windows: Vinyl has come a long way. If you have winter then look at double-glazed with high-R insulation. Double-glaze fogging has been an industry problem but appears to have been solved (and don't clean then with ammonia solvents). You probably want anti-glare/UV film too. Over-sink bay windows with shelves let you grow windowsill herbs.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Other kitchen ideas (part 2 of 2)
Old 02-26-2005, 07:37 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Other kitchen ideas (part 2 of 2)

Sinks:
Ceramic-- Expensive but easily stained & chipped. We gave away a Kohler ceramic two-bowl that probably cost $250 in 1989 and never got clean.
Stainless-- I replaced the ceramic with a $175 stainless single-bowl that holds the oven broiler pan with plenty of room left over. (I do the dishes.) Brushed stainless doesn't show neglect and cleans easier than mirror finish. Other-- I now think two-bowl sinks are wasted space. Disposals are nice but optional. An in-sink pump soap dispenser keeps the bottle off the counter. The sink must have an integrated pull-out spray faucet. Dishwashers don't need that little vacuum-breaker air-gap tower on the sink anymore.

Electrical: a capacity upgrade is best with (expensive) professional help.
Demolition-- be very careful sticking metal tools into kitchen walls with old electrical wiring. Maybe you want to limit yourself to counters & cabinets.
Receptacles-- my fantasy kitchen has electric receptacles every 18" along the entire counter with counter lighting under the wall cabinets. Put GFCI receptacles on the counter or put all the receptacles on a GFCI breaker in the service panel.
Fridge-- trash it if it's over 10 years old (looks like it!). Higher efficiency & lower energy costs will pay for the new fridge in a couple years.
Stoves-- have come a long way on options & efficiency. You WILL be pleasantly surprised, especially if you can go gas or convection instead of conventional electric.
Dishwasher-- anything will be a pleasant surprise. I'd recommend top dollar for one with its own water heater and extra noise insulation. $500 seems a lot for a dishwasher but it's priceless in the context of doing dishes while cooking or dining. And the dishwasher water heater saves water/energy on the house water heater.
If you have winter, consider insulated receptacle boxes with plug-in childproof covers. It's amazing how much heat is lost here.

Décor: sorry, I'm not qualified to make those decisions in this family. But...
Lighting-- the kitchen seems to have a lot of dark wood. I favor white walls & light woods. A ceiling skylight would let in lots of UV & heat but that can be controlled with window film. Another option would be to raise the ceiling 12-18" into the attic and install a light box-- warm-light fluorescent fixtures with colorful patterned glass about 48"x48" (or even bigger). It'll bring in light without heat while eliminating traumatizing cleaning surfaces...
Layout-- That three-door corner is a tough one and you may be stuck with it. Maybe you can find an experienced kitchen designer-- heck, I'd be calling in Norm Abrams & Tom Silva from This Old House. What's on the other side for access-- can you eliminate a door or the passthrough?
Furniture-- Sorry to hear you're stuck with a bookcase in the kitchen. (Why does a kitchen need a bookcase?!? Maybe your spouse could be persuaded to swap it with the library's dishwasher.) It should go anywhere else.

Arrete, dude, where's your microwave oven?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Rich gigolos & other ER avocations
Old 02-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Rich gigolos & other ER avocations

Quote:
Watch out for Cut-Throat and his granite counters, he's a rich gigolo and a big spender...
TH, by any chance have you recently found yourself barefoot & on your knees in the kitchen providing childcare while your spouse was at work supporting the family with a paycheck?

Uh-hunh.

We found a moonlighting counter guy who did our Corian counters for $1700 (we did the demolition). It took a week of evenings and I wonder if the counters fell off his boss' truck-- but it was worth the (mild) hassle!

Re: Other kitchen ideas (part 2 of 2)
Old 02-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #48

Re: Other kitchen ideas (part 2 of 2)

Quote:
Dishwashers don't need that little vacuum-breaker air-gap tower on the sink anymore.
That will probably vary by region. I'm pretty sure that we are required by code to have one in northern California. What can be done if code allows and you are willing to take some chance on waste water flowback into the dishwasher (admittedly a small chance) is to create a loop in the waste hose from the dishwasher with the high point being higher than the height that it connects to the main drain pipe. You can hide this loop behind the dishwasher and connect the top of the loop to the counter or the wall/cabinet.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm. Probably store bought beer.
NO DOUBT!

In fact, I'm a bettin' its some of that there fru fru liberal yuppie low carb beer that tastes just like rat urine. At least what I imagine rat urine would taste like.

And yes Nords, I have been noted to be in charge of domestic affairs while my wife is off collecting the weekly paycheck. When she returns to work in a couple of months, perhaps moreso. Although she's only going to be doing 3 nights a week instead of 4-5 and they're all going to be sequential and the same nights instead of her old willy-nilly schedule. But I'll be in charge of baby for 16 hour shifts during those 3 days.

Air gaps are indeed required by code in california, and in many other states. Since they prevent sewage and other happy items in your drain from being siphoned up into your dishwasher, I consider them to be a relatively good thing.

You need a bookshelf in your kitchen for your cookbooks! I have about a hundred and they used to be on shelves in my old kitchen, they're relegated to a bookshelf in my office about 10' from my kitchen here...where they are a lot less useful!

Wood on kitchen floors? Did it once, I'll never do it again. I refinished them and after spending that ~$2k every damn thing with water in it leaked onto the kitchen floor when I wasnt immediately present and fairly ruined it. Everything I dropped nicked or dented the wood. To add final insult and injury when I was selling the house I turned off the fridge. Although I had emptied out everything, there was apparently a half made load of ice in the icemaker which defrosted. Said fridge had no means of capturing this water so it leaked onto the floor and made a nice pond in front of the fridge and stove and buckled all of the wood...this during my first week of showing when you get your highest volume of current buyers. :P

So pergo yes, wood no.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Hey arrete, I enjoyed this kitchen remodel thread from a couple of months back. Did you decide to do anything in your kitchen? Pictures?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #51

Hello Martha! DW just finished painting the entire kitchen, top to bottom
and bow to stern. She also installed all new hardware on the cabinets,
plus window treatments. It looks fabulous. I just stayed out of her way.
Wish I could post a photo.

JG