Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Remote Control Highway Robbery
Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Remote Control Highway Robbery

To be clear, I'm not talking about using a remote control to rob somebody.

Instead I'm talking about getting fleeced buying a replacement remote control.

The remote on my Magnavox DVR/DVD player has a button which is failing. It's a button I use often which replays what I'm watching back 15 seconds.

So, I need a replacement remote. Looked at Amazon and one seller shows out of stock. Another shows $79.95 + $4.95 shipping. No way, will I pay that much. That's like if you buy a $30K car, but the key costs about $2K.

I did look around and ordered the same model remote for about $29. Still high, but more reasonable. Unfortunately, I made two orders . One while rushed (haste makes waste) from a place with very negative reviews. A place that according to complaints does a bait and switch and tries giving a generic remote instead of an OEM one.....We shall see...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
gone traveling

FYI.
If you have a newer car, do not lose the key.
And, if you do, take your relaxation meds before inquiring about the replacement cost.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Remote controls are always in demand. When I dropped mine it broke, so I bought a replacement for a few dollars on ebay, used it until the unit it controlled broke, then sold the remote on ebay for a dollar or two more than I had paid. Bitcoin look out!
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Any reason a generic universal remote would not fit the bill?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Any reason a generic universal remote would not fit the bill?
I doubt a generic would work and there are pretty may buttons for both DVR and DVD and even a dubbing button for DVR to DVD.

Probably begs the question, "How about a learning remote?" At the very least, if possible, would entail much remapping of buttons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC003UD.jpg (61.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm guessing there's a seasonal demand for remote control devices.

The ending weeks of football season seems reasonable. I'd suggest there's a correlation between the number of broken remotes in areas where fans became upset.[emoji4]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I doubt a generic would work and there are pretty may buttons for both DVR and DVD and even a dubbing button for DVR to DVD.

Probably begs the question, "How about a learning remote?" At the very least, if possible, would entail much remapping of buttons.
Yeah, I meant to say "universal"... many advertise advanced DVD/DVR functions. You might be right, but given the cost of the native remote, I would be tempted to see of the $10-$11 unversal learning remotes with DVD/DVR support might fit the bill. Just me though... if you can find the actual remote at a reasonable price that is best.

I've been saving the remotes from my various devices as the devices fall out of my use or break, maybe I'll put them on Ebay when I have more time.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we have had buttons that stop working DH has opened the remote and cleaned the contacts. It's usually the button that gets the most use. Might not be a long term cure but I know he has extended the life a couple of times.

Check YouTube for videos on doing this.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Yeah, I meant to say "universal"... many advertise advanced DVD/DVR functions. You might be right, but given the cost of the native remote, I would be tempted to see of the $10-$11 unversal learning remotes with DVD/DVR support might fit the bill. Just me though... if you can find the actual remote at a reasonable price that is best.

I've been saving the remotes from my various devices as the devices fall out of my use or break, maybe I'll put them on Ebay when I have more time.
The remote for my TV is actually a learning remote. The original remote is pretty crappy with tiny buttons and very hard to aim to the TV. So, I programmed to a learning remote which I had laying around. Works great.

As for the Magnavox DVR/DVD, some buttons (like the skip forward, replay rocker or DVD open/close) I don't see on many universal remotes, so I'm going with the actual instead.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
When we have had buttons that stop working DH has opened the remote and cleaned the contacts. It's usually the button that gets the most use. Might not be a long term cure but I know he has extended the life a couple of times.

Watched YouTube and learned something new. More specifically how to test the remote buttons with a cell phone camera. I tested my remote and the button is question does need a harder press to register.

After I get my replacement remote, I'm tempted to operate on my trouble one to see if I can fix.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Our TV remote is getting cranky, have to press harder to make a button work, and sometimes it takes a few presses.
A friend who has the same tv told me it cost $50 for a replacement on a tv that was originally $500
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I always use universal remotes (or learning remotes) to capture the subset of key features I use in our entertainment devices, leaving the originals in a nearby drawer - with the batteries removed. For esoteric features, I’ve only had to grab and power up one of the originals two or three times over the past five years. HIGHLY recommended strategy.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'd just get a new player
Old 12-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'd just get a new player
I think the device the OP is referring to has a DVR (recorder) which is usually not a very cheap device. If it was *just* a DVD player, then sure...

Yeah...a similar model on Ebay is $300. Without a remote...

https://www.ebay.com/i/112443069279?chn=ps
Old 12-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I think the device the OP is referring to has a DVR (recorder) which is usually not a very cheap device. If it was *just* a DVD player, then sure...

oh geez if it's like a tivo then yikes!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

Yes, that's my situation. The device is not cheap and is a combo DVR/DVD player and recorder. Haven't seen a universal that supports both with rocker buttons for features like skip 1 minute forward and skip backwards so may seconds.

I've been observing my current remote on pressing the "replay" button in question. On a quick press, that button often doesn't register. But if I do a long press and aim directly at the device, then most of the time, the button registers.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I highly recommend the Harmony 650 universal. Less than $40 on Amazon and it is fully programmable. It can also copy commands directly from your current remote.

It not only programs for individual devices, but also for "activities" (i.e. Watch cable, or Watch DVD). These activity commands will start all of the necessary devices in a sequence, so you only need the one remote from start to finish.
oneill225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill225 View Post
I highly recommend the Harmony 650 universal. Less than $40 on Amazon and it is fully programmable. It can also copy commands directly from your current remote.

It not only programs for individual devices, but also for "activities" (i.e. Watch cable, or Watch DVD). These activity commands will start all of the necessary devices in a sequence, so you only need the one remote from start to finish.
Thanks for the suggestion. I already ordered a replacement. But looking at buttons on the Harmony 650, see that it does have skip and replay buttons. I bet if force, that remote would map pretty well my remote.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

Okay, curiosity got the best of me and I took apart my remote and gave it a bath.

First thing I noticed is there was moisture buildup on the circuit board around the button that was giving me a problem. So I cleaned the circuit board with cotton and rubbing alcohol.

The remote is still drying but I shall see in an hour or so if the bath fixes the problem. Don't want to jinx, but I'm pretty confident it will.

I do remember knocking over a glass of water months ago on the remote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2047.JPG (374.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2049.JPG (535.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The back of that keypad is conductive (contacts with the circuit board), so clean that with the some distilled water to wash off any soap from the bath, then alcohol swab as well.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote