Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

In my software related biz I have remote contractors US or international who serve specialized or at will services for tasks. These remote resources have an overhead of task management and are shielded from urgent or nuisance tasks because of the level of effort to provide context and effectively engage them. They may get shielded from nuisance tasks – but those tasks still need to be done. That would be the “speed” Yahoo referred to. Also it becomes my (and other in office staff) burden to prepare work packages so that the “quality” can be delivered. There are a lot of moving parts and in dissecting how some detail was missed the offsite individual can ultimately make a case that some detail was not provided (very frustrating). From where I sit the benefit seems to be for the remote resource – so much so for that it should be a 40% haircut on salary (it’s a benefit of tangible value and an expense for the employer). I am hiring now and get many applications for resources that wish to work from home or do a 3 or 4 day in office.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've worked from home full-time since 2005. My team is all over the world so there no benefit sitting in an office talking to them over the phone vs. being in my home office on the phone.

Allowing telecommuting is at the discretion of the individual manager and I do have one employee that I require to come into the office to work. However, there has been some noise from senior mgmt that they want people to start working in regional 'hubs'. If this happens I'll lose 90% of my team since most are more than 100 miles from the nearest 'hub'.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is probably the case, and if so, it is sad.

From this morning's FT Bosses are reining in staff because they can - FT.com
I've been beating this drum for a while now. Employers are cracking the whips and imposing more and more on their employees because they *can* and because most workers have almost zero leverage in this economy.

The pendulum was in the opposite direction in Silicon Valley in the late 1990s, and if it ever swings that way again, I'd expect the employers who have exploited the current job market to their advantage will find a brain drain occurring to them, really quickly (at least I hope so). And those employers who didn't increasingly abuse their workforce just because they could will (I hope) reap the benefits of goodwill and at least a little bit of loyalty.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I am fortunate to have a choice to work from home when I want and do so 2-3 times a week. I would feel very uncomfortable working at home full time. There is still something to be said for meeting and seeing people face-to-face, and my most successful projects have been ones where there was a good amount of face time among the participants.
Same here. During the last few years of my employment, I had the option to work at home and/or the office. I'd typically go into the office one or two days a week since I found some face to face interaction was valuable "in my job". There's no doubt in my mind that the success of working from home depends a lot on the type of job and the type of person. In my case, I don't think my productivity suffered at all and it did encourage me to stay around for a few more years. It was a win/win for me and the company.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that the success of working from home depends a lot on the type of job and the type of person.
Yep -- AND the management. If you don't have management which supports the concept, which can manage a "virtual organization" and which can establish metrics to measure productivity and effectiveness, it's not likely to end well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #26

Actually - since Yahoo is based in Silicon valley - there are lots of opportunities for disgruntled employees to get other jobs. The market up there has really heated up. (Even in So Cal I get calls from headhunters offering jobs/relo packages.) A few former coworkers have migrated north to take advantage.

I think it's stealth layoff... they WANT to reduce headcount without the expense of severance, outplacement, unemployment premiums going up....

This is the trend these days. My employer is doing similar stuff - at another (larger) site they're moving the campus (less than 50 miles) and telling employees - tough luck if you don't like it. Benefits have dramatically been cut in the past few years... and as people leave, they don't hire replacements.

I think Yahoo is being very intentional in this... and hoping for net headcount reduction.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
Same here. During the last few years of my employment, I had the option to work at home and/or the office. I'd typically go into the office one or two days a week since I found some face to face interaction was valuable "in my job". There's no doubt in my mind that the success of working from home depends a lot almost entirely on the type of job and the type of person. In my case, I don't think my productivity suffered at all and it did encourage me to stay around for a few more years. It was a win/win for me and the company.
I'm not sure much else needs to be said. DW telecommuted on & off for many years, depending mostly on her higher-ups' personalities and management styles. Some were stodgy, some progressive, and some just petty -- "If I can't work at home, nobody else is going to either."

Her decision whether to work at home or go in (when she was allowed) was day to day, and she knew very well where she would be most effective/productive, and would often split the day -- half at home -- half in-office.

It's not for everyone, and not always appropriate, but in this technological age, are sweeping arbitrary policies best for the business? I guess that's why they make the big bucks, but I often wonder about that too. YMMV.

Tyro
Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best Buy follows Yahoo's lead:

"Marissa Mayer might be a trendsetter. Just one week after the Yahoo CEO banned telecommuting at her company, Best Buy is ending its own flexible work program."

Best Buy ends work-from-home program - Mar. 5, 2013