Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Update: I spoke to Enterprise today who said they would work directly with the at-fault party's insurance company and would not contact my carrier unless a problem developed with the individual's insurance carrier accepting liablility. I was also contacted by GEICO, who wanted to reconfirm the circumstances surrounding the accident. They stated that based on the information from their insured, they were accepting liability and would send a caveman to work directly with Enterprise from this point forward. (Just seeing if you were paying attention.)

Sounds good so far, but only time will tell if I'm completely off the hook.

Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Now if you had been home moderating and chasing after the mailman, none of this would have happened
Isn't that the same thing Johnnie Cochran told OJ?

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
the big gotcha is that although your insurance covers you in a rental, and the credit cards claim to also , most rental companies bill you for the loss of the revenue from the vehicle while its layed up and thats not covered. in your case they can go after the guy who hit you but in most cases that arent a clear cut whos at fault you can get stuck paying

mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #23
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I'm sure you are clear, but being stationary is not a free ride...It is "how" you are stationary...Are you over the line--is the light green---all your brake lights work---And a million others. If there is a crack plan on someone trying to get into it for whatever gain there may be.

I doubt if you need to worry about USAA. However, I think they say let us know in 30 days(verify) if it is only property damage. You might want to wait the 30 days and see how things are going before you report, but generally you ought to report it.
Now if you had been home moderating and chasing after the mailman, none of this would have happened

so true, wait until he claims you had your car in reverse by accident and hit him.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #24
Taking a mini vacation to Charleston next week, and decided to rent a car instead of taking my clunker Jeep. Checked with USAA and they confirmed that by using their rental specials (with Avis, Budget, or Hertz) my insurance covers everything the same as if it was my own car. Didn't ask if this applies to other rental companies. I went with Avis, and got 25% off the rack rate, which makes it comparable with Enterprise.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
My wife rents a lot of cars thru her work and the incident that you describe, you shouldn't worry about a thing. I do understand your concern because back in the CSR friendly days the customer is always right. Nowadays they will fee you to death. We saw this transformation evolve and we just shake our heads.

steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote