Join Early Retirement Today

Rental Car Insurance Coverage, Redux
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rental Car Insurance Coverage, Redux

I flipped a coin whether to post this here or in travel, not a good fit either place really.

I saw one thread discussing a similar question but this aspect is much different.

We will be selling our only car in February to my daughter. So for 2-3 months I will have no car, and no car insurance.

I called my insurance company and asked about keeping the liability for use on rental cars during a road trip and the agent said, no way to do that.

One of the drivers will be a German exchange student that we are driving to Missouri, so quite a drive, and so paranoia kicked in as to what would happen if a major accident occurred while he was driving.

Would the rental company find some loop hole, some way (e.g. foreign license)? Guess the question is how legally binding are the rental car insurance policies? My worry is that at the car rental counter the person (clueless probably) will swear that the coverage is valid. But how do I know it really is?

Anyone ever encounter this or see related articles? Is my only recourse a state-by-state call to their insurance commissioners?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can't you just shop around for decent rates on insurance from the rental car companies? By the way, does your regular insurance cover some random stranger who you let drive a rental car?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have seen this issue before.

Some people recommend to buy a junker and insure it for liability so you will be covered on a rental car.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #4

I imagine you'll be fine with the rental car co's insurance, or with your credit card co's insurance, as long as you register all drivers with the car company.

But if you're really worried, can you just loan your daughter the car in feb and sell it 3 months later, keeping it insured in the mean time? Maybe she could even reimburse you for part of the insurance, since she'll be covered by it in the interim.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #5

I'm sure you could also download the insurance details from the rental co's website, or have them send them to you.

I asked for a copy of Visa's rental car insurance details before renting internationally, having similar concerns (I don't have a car or insurance)
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch64 View Post
I have seen this issue before.

Some people recommend to buy a junker and insure it for liability so you will be covered on a rental car.
I have gone long periods without owning a vehicle, and have had non-owners liability-only insurance policies from AAA.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
One of the drivers will be a German exchange student that we are driving to Missouri, so quite a drive, and so paranoia kicked in as to what would happen if a major accident occurred while he was driving.
Would the rental company find some loop hole, some way (e.g. foreign license)? Guess the question is how legally binding are the rental car insurance policies? My worry is that at the car rental counter the person (clueless probably) will swear that the coverage is valid. But how do I know it really is?
Anyone ever encounter this or see related articles? Is my only recourse a state-by-state call to their insurance commissioners?
Are you overcomplicating this? You're already saving a ton of money by not having auto insurance.

Additional drivers of a rental car have to present their driver's license at the rental counter just as you, the renter, have to do. If the rental car company decides to add him as an additional driver then that's their insurance risk.

You could call the rental-car company and ask about their policies as well as the cost of their insurance (collision damage waiver, liability) that they'd sell you. Then you could decide who's offering the best deal. Even at $20/day you might still be ahead of the annual expense of a liability policy from a national car insurance company.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since liability to others, rather than damage to the car you are renting, is the issue, I'd:

1. Look at a policy such as CyclingInvestor mentions above.

2. Check with your umbrella policy provider (again because it's liability to others you need to be worried about) to be sure that whatever the rental car company insurance provides meets their requirements.

Or both........